R40 Spirit of Radio

Union 5-3992

Worst song they've released yet. He's mumbling all the words. It's too bad they couldn't have dropped this song years ago. It's been so tough for him to sing the last 10 years or so.

totally agree, why waste our time with this when there are so many better versions before it..

Some people like it. Cool thing is, we can enjoy it, you can ignore it, and everyone is happy! What a concept!

Sure, but everyone should be able to express their opinion about it, regardless of what it might be.

Seems every post from nicky is bashing it. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. If you want perfection, pop in ESL. If you want to listen to an honest 2015 rendition by a band who wasn't afraid to age in front of everyone's eyes, then R40 isn't a pointless waste.

• Like 1

Sounds great to me. Best version since A Show of Hands. Like others have said, Geddy's got a bit of marble mouth, but overall a much more confident performance than the last two

Worst song they've released yet. He's mumbling all the words. It's too bad they couldn't have dropped this song years ago. It's been so tough for him to sing the last 10 years or so.

totally agree, why waste our time with this when there are so many better versions before it..

Some people like it. Cool thing is, we can enjoy it, you can ignore it, and everyone is happy! What a concept!

Sure, but everyone should be able to express their opinion about it, regardless of what it might be.

Seems every post from nicky is bashing it. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. If you want perfection, pop in ESL. If you want to listen to an honest 2015 rendition by a band who wasn't afraid to age in front of everyone's eyes, then R40 isn't a pointless waste.

They've doctored up the other songs so far in one way or another, you'd think they'd work with this a bit more, but maybe they did what they could do.

There is a tiny section of the song around 2:12 to 2:18 where Geddy sings normal and it sounds great.

It is a brief reminder of pre-yodel Geddy. I miss pre-yodel Geddy so much :(

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the video release, but it does seem like they've touched up the vocals, at least a bit.

Compare "begin the day" at 0:29 in the youtube video here (from the same show):

with the same line at 0:42 in the official R40 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1jxfDuiDtzU

Perhaps it's just a difference in recording quality, but it sounds to me Geddy's been "airbrushed" a bit in the official R40 version. I love the band and don't mind an occassional yelp or other blip if it means i'm experiencing the show as it actually happened.

• Like 1

This is one of the better performances of this song in recent live albums. Last rendition of TSOR I really liked was on R30.

The R30 rendition of almost every song played there is the best version. I'll still argue that Red Barchetta on R30 is still their best single recorded live song ever. It's perfect. That album is an incredible mix of an incredible performance.

That said, this is easily the best version of SoR since then, and an all-around excellent live rendition. Geddy is singing incredibly, there are even flashes where, I shit you not, he sounds just like he did in the early 2000's. The drums are mixed well, hi-hat is fully audible, and the end solo is killah.

Like most Rush fans, I know this song (and all the live recordings of it) incredibly well, so it's good to have it available as an anchor to gauge the overall quality. With that in mind, I am very, VERY excited to have this album in my hands and to play it non stop :)

Wow. After reading this I was pretty excited and decided to check out the video. Once Geddy started singing it was over for me; I just can't listen to that nasally, low-timbered whine he has used for the last few tours. Guess we all hear things differently.

• Like 1

They've doctored up the other songs so far in one way or another, you'd think they'd work with this a bit more, but maybe they did what they could do.

Or maybe they didn't do anything at all :unsure: Maybe this is a 61 year old Geddy completely un-doctored and as he was that night, because nothing needed doctoring. :yes:

This is one of the better performances of this song in recent live albums. Last rendition of TSOR I really liked was on R30.

The R30 rendition of almost every song played there is the best version. I'll still argue that Red Barchetta on R30 is still their best single recorded live song ever. It's perfect. That album is an incredible mix of an incredible performance.

That said, this is easily the best version of SoR since then, and an all-around excellent live rendition. Geddy is singing incredibly, there are even flashes where, I shit you not, he sounds just like he did in the early 2000's. The drums are mixed well, hi-hat is fully audible, and the end solo is killah.

Like most Rush fans, I know this song (and all the live recordings of it) incredibly well, so it's good to have it available as an anchor to gauge the overall quality. With that in mind, I am very, VERY excited to have this album in my hands and to play it non stop :)

Wow. After reading this I was pretty excited and decided to check out the video. Once Geddy started singing it was over for me; I just can't listen to that nasally, low-timbered whine he has used for the last few tours. Guess we all hear things differently.

I think we hear things the same, one of us just has unrealistic expectations ;)

• Like 2

Or maybe they didn't do anything at all :unsure: Maybe this is a 61 year old Geddy completely un-doctored and as he was that night, because nothing needed doctoring. :yes:

Nope. Sorry, but he's really struggled with this song for a lot of years. It's too bad one of their major hits turned out to be so hard for him to handle as time went by.

Nope. Sorry, but he's really struggled with this song for a lot of years. It's too bad one of their major hits turned out to be so hard for him to handle as time went by.

To me, it's always sounded like he struggled with Tom Sawyer a little more

Yeah some of you people cant admit. geddys voice blows now. to me, the last time he sounded good was the first leg of the snakes and arrows tour. The time machine tour wasn't needed. But he really sounded god awful on the 2 songs they did on rock n roll hall of fame.. Yeah, he voice also just changed and he struggles and just whines rather than sing. No one here could ever use geddy as a great singer in an argument against many great singers. Rush fans are like sport team fans. no matter how bad they go they still have loyal fan base..

Yeah some of you people cant admit. geddys voice blows now. to me, the last time he sounded good was the first leg of the snakes and arrows tour. The time machine tour wasn't needed. But he really sounded god awful on the 2 songs they did on rock n roll hall of fame.. Yeah, he voice also just changed and he struggles and just whines rather than sing. No one here could ever use geddy as a great singer in an argument against many great singers. Rush fans are like sport team fans. no matter how bad they go they still have loyal fan base..

I realize he definitely can't sing like he used to. I also realize that he's in is 60's and for his age sounds pretty damn good. Sure, the singing isn't the best nowadays but I'm still gonna enjoy listening to Rush regardless of the flaws.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst

I guess I just don't understand the point you're trying to make. I don't think his singing has turned terrible at all, I think it's literally the natural progression that aging would take on the kind of singing he does. Same with Brian Johnson and AC/DC. Dude doesn't sound anyyyyything like he used to, but he's still a boss. Mick Jagger too, he can be hard to understand, but like Geddy, he's an admirably old man that's still putting on a show.

Neil Young still sounds really good, but his singing style has never really stressed out his voice in any way, so he can comfortably rest there. And that's totally fine too. But that doesn't mean he's any better, it means he has a style that has its benefits.

You make it sound like Geddy should be compared to Bob Dylan or Ozzy Osbourne, who at this point in their musical careers barely register as coherent human beings. Geddy doesn't sound as good as he did in the 80's, 90's or even 2000's, it's true. You mention the S&A tour, but even that was pushing 10 years ago now. That's a long f***ing time. But he still sounds good to me, he just sounds different, because lo and behold, turning 60 means you can't wail like you used to. Listen to the Led Zeppelin 2007 reunion concert, and you'll see the exact same thing. Plant just can't do it like he once did, sing in such a high register. But he still sounds pretty f***ing good considering it's a bunch of old-ass men up there on stage.

• Like 2

I think by now we know your feeling on the subject quite well since it's the only thing you ever post about (and the final line of your post there is borderline troll). If Geddy's singing was the only aspect of Rush that I cared about, I guess I'd be pretty heartbroken that he can't do it as well now that he's 62 years old. But there's also his bass playing, Alex's guitar playing and Neil's drumming, which all still sound pretty damn good. I don't really listen to live Rush CDs past Different Stages anyway. The studio versions are always the best in most cases. So I'm looking forward to watching the Blu-ray since there'll be plenty to enjoy rather than obsessing over Geddy's voice. :beathorse:

Sounds and looks great. Ged is in fine form.

He's definitely giving it his all, and it sounds more than passable. What more can we ask for?? Saying they should have already retired long ago because Geddy can't replicate his youthful voice is just absurd.
  • Like 4

Agree, I think Ged is sounding very good! Looks like with this video release, a lot more care is being taken on the production side of things than the last two which were both rough around the edges at times (e.g. sub-par video editing/ image quality) . Only thing is I wish the snare and toms (latter in particular) were higher in the mix. Check out the fill at 1:15 - the toms are almost inaudible! As someone who's involved in mixing an album at the moment, I find bizarre that things like that slip through the net at this level. Though apart from that, I think it's sounding great!

For anyone who is complaining about Geddy's voice, the man IS 62, right?

Give your head a shake.

You're right. Geddy is 62 years old.

So why he chooses to push his voice into a register that sounds so tortured is anyone's guess.

Honestly not meaning to be an a-hole. Just think Geddy has done himself a disservice with the yodel voice.

This must be the best version of The Spirit Of Radio ever! The audience is crazy! Love it! And of all the videos they have upload from this bluray, then this must be the best one, if you look at the filming. They are filming Geddy a bit more then the previous videos.

And those that complain on Geddy´s voice... Shut up, ok? Just shut up...

They are now retiring so you all get what you want.... so just stop complaining...

For anyone who is complaining about Geddy's voice, the man IS 62, right?

Give your head a shake.

You're right. Geddy is 62 years old.

So why he chooses to push his voice into a register that sounds so tortured is anyone's guess.

Honestly not meaning to be an a-hole. Just think Geddy has done himself a disservice with the yodel voice.

You acknowledge and accept that he's 62, but seemingly can't for the life of you understand why he doesn't sing like a younger Geddy.

There is a lot more I could add, but it would seem to be pointless. I kind of feel the analogy of Geddy is the quarterback who threw multiple touchdowns to help his team win the Super Bowl, and all some people will focus on is the few errant passes he made.

You acknowledge and accept that he's 62, but seemingly can't for the life of you understand why he doesn't sing like a younger Geddy.

My apologies for not making my point clear, which is this:

Why has Geddy chosen to push himself so hard vocally?

He is not young anymore.

Surely no one would hate on Geddy if he delivered his vocals in a more 'relaxed' manner.

Anyhow, it does seem wrong criticising Geddy.

I will always love Geddy regardless of what I state about his vocals for this particular video.

They shoud have filmed the Vegas show.

Edited by thirteen