R40 Spirit of Radio

Union 5-3992

This is one of the better performances of this song in recent live albums. Last rendition of TSOR I really liked was on R30.

The R30 rendition of almost every song played there is the best version. I'll still argue that Red Barchetta on R30 is still their best single recorded live song ever. It's perfect. That album is an incredible mix of an incredible performance.

That said, this is easily the best version of SoR since then, and an all-around excellent live rendition. Geddy is singing incredibly, there are even flashes where, I shit you not, he sounds just like he did in the early 2000's. The drums are mixed well, hi-hat is fully audible, and the end solo is killah.

Like most Rush fans, I know this song (and all the live recordings of it) incredibly well, so it's good to have it available as an anchor to gauge the overall quality. With that in mind, I am very, VERY excited to have this album in my hands and to play it non stop :)

Edited by puffyshirt
  • Like 1

Yes! Much better than CA.

Now I'm going to have to rank all the official TSoR's we have. Hmm…

1. A Show of Hands

2. Snakes & Arrows: Live

3. Grace Under Pressure Tour

4. Different Stages

5. R40

6. Rush in Rio

7. Exit…Stage Left

8. R30

9. Time Machine 2011

10. Permanent Waves (studio)

11. Clockwork Angels Tour

Edited by Disk98

1. A Show of Hands

4. Different Stages

5. R40

6. Rush in Rio

7. Exit…Stage Left

8. R30

9. Time Machine 2011

You sir, are entitled to your opinion. But you crazy :P

• Like 5

out of the 4 videos they previewed, this ones the worst as far as editing goes, and 2 times to show neil twirling his stick around. and they didn't show it.. Also, geddys sounds like crap here..

Edited by nicky6

to me. the last best live version of spirit of radio was R30, ever since time machine. he started singing it all goofy. like singing" emotional feedback on A timeless wavelength. " Instead of "emotional feedback on timeless wavelength.

to me. the last best live version of spirit of radio was R30, ever since time machine. he started singing it all goofy. like singing" emotional feedback on A timeless wavelength. " Instead of "emotional feedback on timeless wavelength.

Eh?

Worst song they've released yet. He's mumbling all the words. It's too bad they couldn't have dropped this song years ago. It's been so tough for him to sing the last 10 years or so.

Worst song they've released yet. He's mumbling all the words. It's too bad they couldn't have dropped this song years ago. It's been so tough for him to sing the last 10 years or so.

I agree he still has some mush-mouth. But I think this is light years ahead of the previous 2 versions.

There were many other nights when Geddy was in better voice- I love the Dallas R40 recording that someone put up in Different Stages- but I'll take what I can get! :) The filming is nice; you can really get an appreciation for Howard's lights..
  • Like 2

I'm surprised to hear people complain about the singing! Take another listen to Time Machine Tour, and thank your lucky stars this sounds as good as it does.

I guarantee you if that had been a tribute band, the comments would have gone something like this: "musically they're pretty good, but the singer sucks".

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear people complain about the singing! Take another listen to Time Machine Tour, and thank your lucky stars this sounds as good as it does.

I guarantee you if that had been a tribute band, the comments would have gone something like this: "musically they're pretty good, but the singer sucks".

Wrong. If that had been a tribute band, my comment would have been "why the hell am I watching a tribute band, they're the ventriloquists of the music industry"

out of the 4 videos they previewed, this ones the worst as far as editing goes, and 2 times to show neil twirling his stick around. and they didn't show it.. Also, geddys sounds like crap here..

Bring on the born moaners------jeez.

U trippin?

totally agree, why waste our time with this when there are so many better versions before it..

• Like 1

totally agree, why waste our time with this when there are so many better versions before it..

Some people like it. Cool thing is, we can enjoy it, you can ignore it, and everyone is happy! What a concept!

Some people like it. Cool thing is, we can enjoy it, you can ignore it, and everyone is happy! What a concept!

Sure, but everyone should be able to express their opinion about it, regardless of what it might be.

1. A Show of Hands

4. Different Stages

5. R40

6. Rush in Rio

7. Exit…Stage Left

8. R30

9. Time Machine 2011

You sir, are entitled to your opinion. But you crazy :P