The Garden

Fridge

Ok, I finally got round to listening to a song off Clockwork Angels and I randomly chose the above.

You know, I was pleasantly surprised, it's light years ahead of all the recent snoozefestery they've done and was very well crafted.

The only down side was the slightly brickwalled production and the fact that Geddy is occasionally a bit awkward with fitting the words in, but apart from that, great effort.

Nowhere near their golden era of 76-82, but a welcome improvement......

Will get round to listening to the rest of it at some point.

• Like 2

Quit while you're ahead. The brickwalling only gets worse and will give you a headache. You picked the best already... :cheers:
  • Like 4

Good on you for checking it out. You'll decide for yourself of course, but I for one find lots to make me happy on that record. It's got some adventurous, muscular playing on it like the old days.
  • Like 2

I must respectfully disagree with Narps. There is so much more greatness on Clockwork Angels!

Yes!

I don't hear how the early heavy stuff (The Necromancer, Cygnus, etc) are any different from the heaviest things on Clockwork Angels. I mean, they are different, yes, sure- as different as the number 60 is from the number 25. But...to each his own.

• Like 3

Hey Fridge go for Halo Effect next. You will like that one too. Beautiful tune that one... :wub: Have I ever steered you wrong at least as far as you know?... ;)
  • Like 3

I must respectfully disagree with Narps. There is so much more greatness on Clockwork Angels!

Yes!

I don't hear how the early heavy stuff (The Necromancer, Cygnus, etc) are any different from the heaviest things on Clockwork Angels. I mean, they are different, yes, sure- as different as the number 60 is from the number 25. But...to each his own.

You can hear every instrument clearly on COS. :P

Mick

• Like 2

Yes!

Mick

Well...there were only three of them. :D

Same as the present day, though. Not much room in the 21st century material for keyboards and such.

Obviously The Garden is an exception because of the strings. But anyway...

• Like 2

Why not start at Caravan, and work your way through to The Garden. Listen to the entire album in order, instead of bouncing around.

That's not an option.

• Like 1

Yes!

Mick

Would you like Clockwork Angels more if the production was clearer do you think?

Yes!

Mick

Would you like Clockwork Angels more if the production was clearer do you think?

Maybe. i'd love a cleaner version of it to find out. But i also just don't like a good chunk of the matieral.

Mick

• Like 1

Hey Fridge go for Halo Effect next. You will like that one too. Beautiful tune that one... :wub: Have I ever steered you wrong at least as far as you know?... ;)

I may just do that my fellow ATWAS appreciator.......

• Like 1

I may just do that my fellow ATWAS appreciator.......

:cheers: brother. No headache possible with The Garden or Halo Effect. Promise... :)

Narps...really?

I know you're old and your ears are wearing thin, but you like The Garden(I love it) and Halo Effect(I dig it), but you don't recommend The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Seven Cities of Gold or Carnies?

Those songs all have a lot of balls, and are very amazingly arranged. I get the production/mixing could make the listening experience better on the ears, but those songs are great tunes.

But yes...opinions are opinions

Edited by BloodofTheZodiac
  • Like 4

Clockwork Angels is a great album! As people say the production does leave a bit to be desired but they're great songs with brilliant music and quite an interesting story.

The Anarchist is my favourite so I'll recommend that ;)

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 4

Narps...really?

I know you're old and your ears are wearing thin, but you like The Garden(I love it) and Halo Effect(I dig it), but you don't recommend The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Seven Cities of Gold or Carnies?

Those songs all have a lot of balls, and are very amazingly arranged. I get the production/mixing could make the listening experience better on the ears, but those songs are great tunes.

YES! Awesome songs indeed!

Narps...really?

I think The Anarchist, Headlong Flight and Caravan are excellent tunes that are buried in pain and have said so any number of times. The rest I could take or leave quite frankly with Wish Them Well and The Wreckers being the bottom of the barrel. In summation, 5 excellent tunes and two of them enjoyable to listen to at this point. No hard feelings anywhere. Just my opinion and I listened to it many times when I first got my hands on it and the "noise" for lack of a better term always bothered me but there is potential there for sure. It's still probably the best since HYF as far as sheer numbers of good tunes and I like to rock just as much as the next guy or gal it just shouldn't be unpleasant even to my old wrinkled up ears... :codger: :) That simple
  • Like 1