Short Neil Peart Blog Post

x1yyz

Even for a short Neil post, folks will want highlights

I was just quicker on the draw

God forbid anyone actually reads anything.....

He did??! I knew I didn't like God, and I was wondering why I've been having so much trouble reading lately

"Serenity in motion . . .

Great numbers of mystics and spiritual guides have insisted that mortals can only achieve states of serenity, tranquility, nirvana and so on if they are at rest, without motion. Meditating in the lotus position, say, or reclining with eyes closed in the yoga savasana pose. Others, like Thoreau, John Muir, or Nietzsche, would insist that such elevated states can only be attained by walking—hiking in the mountains, or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing in the winter woods. Yogis and yoginis would champion the tranquility of “gentle” motion, safely confined to a yoga mat, while some individuals find spiritual peace in running, swimming, bicycling, or rowing. And really, they are all right, in their ways. Because ipso facto ergo bueno."

I understand completely what he is talking about here. I ride a motorcycle myself (not that this is limited to motorcycling - that is his point). Especially when I was in college, if I went for a ride, and found that my mind was NOT completely distanced from everything else going on in my life, then I knew I needed to do more than just relax and forget about those other things for a while. No one can really know another person, but I'm fairly certain this is why he got on his bike after he lost his first wife and daughter. He said the same thing back in 1991 on "Face Up":

"You get all squeezed up inside

Like the days were carved in stone

You get all wired up inside

And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride

And when you get out on your own

You get all smoothed out inside

And it's good to be alone"

It makes sense to me if the understanding that it was time to retire from touring came to him while he was in "the space between wonder and why."

• Like 2