R40 Live - Closer to the Heart

Sir Lerxst

This will always be one of the songs that serves Geddy's current voice least well. Until he just starts singing in a lower register, this one is not gonna sound great.

The bass in this one sounds...weird? It sounds super fuzzy, it's kind of odd (specifically at 2:10). And there's a weird warping effect at the bottom of the video. I wonder if the encode is off.

All that said, this looks like a song that Alex truly enjoys playing. And I like that.

Edit: Hmm, the whole mix of this one sounds worse than what we've heard. The bass is almost too much in the front, and it sounds distorted, and the drums are hard to hear at points. I wonder what's up, as I've loved both other tracks.

Edited by puffyshirt

I hope that the audio on this has accidentally been the 5,1 mix downmixed to stereo.... The bass guitar is horribly clipped throughout.

Edit : The audio is available on soundcloud (

) and sounds exactly the same :(

Also Neil drops a stick at 2:22 - you can see the drum tech(s hand) retrieving at 2:31.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

This is one of my favorite songs, even after all these years, so I'm glad they released it early! I like how happy Alex looks as they get into it, around the one minute mark. As puffyshirt said, I think he really does enjoy playing CTTH- there was an interview he did with a radio station this spring where he talked about teaching his grandson's kindergarten class how to play it on all sorts of different little kid instruments for a school concert- that image always makes me smile!

Can't say too much about Ged's voice; it was better some nights than others on this tour and I think this song and Lakeside Park were the ones where I always noticed it the most.

Sir Lerxst- thanks for pointing out the phantom hand- very interesting! :D

• Like 3

I think it sounds all right. I remember hearing other nights where his voice in particular was worse than it is here. The bass tone just sounds like the hollowbody Ric.
  • Like 2

Where is Geddy?? They barely show him on the whole video (It's also apparent on JL and RTB too). It's a real shame they don't show us close-ups of him when he plays cool stuff on the bass, or sings the high vocals parts. I mean, it's really nice to watch footage of the stage and the lightshow, but not when it takes 95% of the video time. At least they show Alex and Neil...

I've been to both Toronto shows and really enjoyed the tour. But after watching the spectacular performance Geddy Neil and Alex put in the show, I think they should show their playing better on the DVD.

As for the sound; I think the mix sounds fine. The bass in CA Live is really quiet in the mix, so I think the bass on this new mix sounds great and should be up in the front. Also, I'm surprised people complain about the bass tone. Geddy has always had a little amount of distortion in his bass tone because of the Sansamp RPM rack.

Overall, that's very exciting to watch! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Sticklight
  • Like 1

I honestly know very little about why the bass sounds the way it does, I just thought it sounded a bit off compared to other stuff I've heard. But if that's how it's supposed to sound, then no worries! I just don't want this live release to sound like shit, we've had too many of those recently.
  • Like 2

Where is Geddy?? They barely show him on the whole video (It's also apparent on JL and RTB too). It's a real shame they don't show us close-ups of him when he plays cool stuff on the bass, or sings the high vocals parts. I mean, it's really nice to watch footage of the stage and the lightshow, but not when it takes 95% of the video time. At least they show Alex and Neil...

I agree with this!! More on Geddy please and less on audience!

• Like 1

I honestly know very little about why the bass sounds the way it does, I just thought it sounded a bit off compared to other stuff I've heard. But if that's how it's supposed to sound, then no worries! I just don't want this live release to sound like shit, we've had too many of those recently.

I couldn't agree more. The CA live mix was awful. That said, so far Jacob's Ladder and Roll the Bones sound great.

Geddy's voice sounds good. I don't see why everyone expects him to start singing like 2112 again.

Exactly. Honestly Geddy's yodling that he does now when singing the older material adds to the charm of Rush for me in a weird way. :D

I think this sounds and looks really good. Geddy sounds fine - if there is a hint of struggle in his singing, it only makes me admire it the more - and the unique Lee timbre is still there.

I like to see more long shots - as I've said before somewhere, the shots from the audience remind me more of my actual experience being at a show. I think this will be a relaxing and enjoyable show to watch.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed this! Alex and Neil both look like they're having fun! And who doesn't love seeing Neil play the shit outta those orchestra bells :smoke: I love the sound of the Rickenbacker that Geddy is using, and I admire him for really going for it on the vocals. On the Time Machine Tour, he lowered the, "reflected in their art," but here he sings it just like the studio version (apart from the "closer to the HEART!" and the "woooooooooaaaaaaaaahhh!!!")

So, well done Geddy. I've come to the conclusion that while he struggles at times, his voice has really matured quite nicely. Modern day Geddy can do things that young Geddy couldn't pull off as successfully (The Garden, The Way the Wind Blows, The Wreckers.) He's really done a good job of adapting to his new style.

• Like 2

Geddy's voice sounds good. I don't see why everyone expects him to start singing like 2112 again.

Exactly. Honestly Geddy's yodling that he does now when singing the older material adds to the charm of Rush for me in a weird way. :D

Just a couple of random questions here....do you have any opinions on...say...Neil's relationship with Brutus? Or do you happen to be a closet Presto fan who has maybe felt the album has been unfairly "bullied" on TRF? Lastly, do you have strong opinions about certain pseudonyms that combine popular Italian noodle dishes and the names of famous musicians? Just curious...
  • Like 1

When I saw that this had been posted it was with some trepidation that I clicked on the play button. I fully expected to be cringing through most of it, but honestly it sounded pretty decent.
  • Like 2

It sounds fine; nothing too horrid. Oddly enough, I think the roughest vocals will be found on the newer material. Definitely OLV, and parts of The Anarchist.

Yeah those are the real toughies for him to sing. Far Cry sounds bad now as well.