Started to cry when I was listening to this song...

YYZumbi

The Garden is the only song that breaks me up bad. That's the reason why I no longer listen to it.

But a few other songs bring tears to my eyes. Yesterday, I was listening to VT boots and every time Ghost Rider came on, my eyes would immediately fill up. Dreamline is another one (...time is a gypsy caravan...). Alex's guitar in the Hemispheres Prelude, Xanadu and, believe it or not, Spindrift, always gets me. In The End is another song.

Losing It is another one.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I lied: I have bawled my eyes out to two Rush songs:

Losing It and Open Secrets. Both hit me hardest when I was at my most ill last year. Open Secrets gave me a little hope as well.

I lied: I have bawled my eyes out to two Rush songs:

Losing It and Open Secrets. Both hit me hardest when I was at my most ill last year. Open Secrets gave me a little hope as well.

I thought I was alone with the effects from Everyday Glory!

I find Presto a very emotional album as well.

Oh, no, sir...I thought you knew that you were not alone in that.

I agree about Presto as well.

For some reason I only ever read the negative stuff regarding Everyday Glory.

Losing It and Nobody's Hero...I know some people don't care for the latter but some of the lyrics really get to you when you are thinking of someone you love who has passed, which happened to me while driving and listening to it one day. (Try wiping tears at a red light with the person next to you looking...;) )
  • Like 3

Tears of Joy when they played Jacobs Ladder in Tampa and my son only 10 years of age cheering like a wild banshie knowing full well his dad just got the song he had been waiting for his whole life to see live. We were hugging and high fiving the entire song.

Mission - tears of uplifitng spirit...one of my personal favorites from the band

Red Barchetta - I welled up when I saw this tune live on the Test For Echo Tour. It's the song that made all this Rush fandom possible for me. Hearing Red Barchetta for the first time was one of the most critical and important life events for me personally (it basically sealed my path in how I would approach life, music and everything in between) behind the birth of my son and when I first met my now wife of 16 years (10 year together). Red Barchetta opened my mind to how music can change your life. I never was so touched by a single composition as I was that song. It was a visual experieince that I never thought possible with music. I was all of 11 years old and knew right there and then I wanted to play guitar and write music. And I did and still do. That was the gift I received from this band. The moment of inspiration a person get's that set's them on a lifetime journey.

When I saw this song on that tour (T4E in 96) my then girlfriend of 3 months (now my wife of 16 years) was with me front row in front of Geddy and I was simply jamming with him almost the entire song. It was a great moment in my life. Tears streaming down my face as I rocked to every note, lyric and beat. It is for me the best song to this day, I have ever heard.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Losing It and Nobody's Hero...I know some people don't care for the latter but some of the lyrics really get to you when you are thinking of someone you love who has passed, which happened to me while driving and listening to it one day. (Try wiping tears at a red light with the person next to you looking...;) )

Nobody's Hero can definitely make the mist roll in for me.

Edited by Look to Sirius
  • Like 1

Rush has never really been a "to the heart" kind of band to me. They've also been brainier. So Rush lyrics can make me think sad things, or think happy things, but there's never really an uncontrollable wave of emotion. More like just passing thoughts to situations that are painful, the world around us, or reflections from the past.

Porcupine Tree is my most tear-jerky band. Stop Swimming usually gets me to some level.

To this day I have no idea why, but my first listen to Different Stages, the outro jam of Bravado made warm alligator tears spill out. Maybe it was the beauty of the music plus really thinking at the time the band was done. Haven't a clue.

The choir during the outro to Marathon gets to me, especially the ASOH version.

The first time I heard the piano interlude in The Garden.

• Like 2

Actually got a little misty at R40 when they were playing Distant Early Warning. Not because of the lyrics or anything, but more of the powerful connection that particular song was having with the crowd and the overwhelming nostalgia of it all. It wasn't the best song I saw that night but it somehow embodied the importance of Rush to me and everybody there. I will never forget that sensation.
  • Like 1

Cry? no...but songs like Time Stand Still, The Pass, and Bravado (live) can pull on me. Just watched CA live last night and Halo Effect with it's intro kind of moved me...along with Alex's soaring solo in The Garden.
  • Like 1

Just to name a few Rush songs that get me emotional from time to time:

Xanadu

Hemispheres

La Villa Strangiato

The Fountain of Lamneth

Rivendell

The Spirit of Radio (has been known to cause tears of sheer euphoria in a live setting)

Emotion Detector

Time Stand Still

The Pass

War Paint

Presto

Bravado

Heresy

Everyday Glory

Resist (live and studio)

Ghost Rider

Secret Touch

Freeze

The Way the Wind Blows

Spindrift

The Garden

Just because a song brings tears to the eyes doesn't mean in any way it is making you sad.

I can't tell you what it is about the notes Alex plays, or the way he is playing them, that just does it to me. All I know is that it affects me emotionally.

• Like 3

I agree. But Losing It was about 45 minutes shorter and it hit much less hard considering it was about fictional characters and not illustrative of a band that had fallen so far in under 10 years

Fictional? Clearly this refers to Hemingway:

The writer stares with glassy eyes

Defies the empty page

His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage.

Thirty years ago how the words would flow

With passion and precision

But now his mind is dark and dulled

By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door

Where the sun will rise no more

Correctomundo.

The dancer in the song is also based upon Isabel Mirrow. She was a real person, too.

• Like 1

For some reason I only ever read the negative stuff regarding Everyday Glory.

Oh, there's definitely a lot of negativity about that song and the entire era on a lot of Rush forums. Rush fans talk a lot about how the establishment mercilessly critiqued them to the point of being unfair. The irony is that, in their later years, the establishment came around to a begrudging respect of the band and a good portion of the fans became the ones who mercilessly critiqued them to the point of being unfair.

PS I love Everyday Glory. A bit cheesy? Yep. A bit over the top? Absolutely. A guilty pleasure? Nope. I don't feel guilty about it being a pleasure.

• Like 1