Started to cry when I was listening to this song...

YYZumbi

Well sure! Bravado does it to me every time. Resist is another one and actually it is usually the live one on R30 that gets to me. Vapor Trails can hit me that way too.

As for the OP..... I have never openly wept at a Rush song.

There are some songs that have deeper meaning for me in my life and they stir emotions.... even some misty eyeballs depending upon the circumstance of time. Now, the time I had the iPod on shuffle and The Garden started playing in the background while I was reading to my grand daughter in my lap? I admit I had to stop and cherish the moment.

Okay, I lied. There was actually one time I got full on teary during a Rush song..... Tom Sawyer.... July 19, 2002 in Milwaukee. But that was about context. It was the first show I saw on the VT tour (they opened that set list with Tom Sawyer). The first time I saw them live after the hiatus. I couldn't help it. I was so happy to know they were back. So appreciative to have that moment again.

• Like 1

Just because a song brings tears to the eyes doesn't mean in any way it is making you sad.

I can't tell you what it is about the notes Alex plays, or the way he is playing them, that just does it to me. All I know is that it affects me emotionally.

Exactly. It's the beauty of the playing and the composition that effect me. The lyrics can add to that but sometimes it's just the playing that can get to me. Natural Science and La Villia are good examples.

Edited by catherine
  • Like 1

Just because a song brings tears to the eyes doesn't mean in any way it is making you sad.

I can't tell you what it is about the notes Alex plays, or the way he is playing them, that just does it to me. All I know is that it affects me emotionally.

Exactly. It's the beauty of the playing and the composition that effect me. The lyrics can add to that but sometimes it's just the playing that can get to me. Natural Science and La Villia are good examples.

That's right. There's just something about what I am hearing that affects and touches me on such a deep level, and most of the time, I don't know why and I can't explain what's causing me to react emotionally. It just does it. That's why I've often said that Alex's playing has a way at times of wrapping itself around my soul.

• Like 2

"You move me..."

:)

To the original question, the Pass has moved me to tears in the past...

And I was surprised how moved I was by How It Is being played in Seattle.

• Like 1

First time or two listening to the Garden definitely brought the mist and the goosebumps. The way that builds towards the end after Alex's solo is pure masterpiece. That song still gets me. I think Different Strings has done the same thing in the past. Beautiful song and yes......I wish Alex's solo didn't fade out so fast at the end:)

I cried the first time they played Losing It, I was watching on Periscope and fortunately my wife was upstairs :)

The Garden gets me all the time, too, especially the solo. Brilliant.

It's not crying but I get strong emotional responses quite a bit to Rush songs, no rhyme or reason but just how a particular song or passage hits me in the moment. You know, that electric thrill that shoots down your spine?

My family has been through some challenges over the years and I am absolutely certain the positive emotional response I get from Rush's music has helped me time and time again.

It's rare for me not to cry in "The Garden" or "Bravado", partly because a couple of years ago they were the songs I played to make sense of some difficult times (deaths and long term health problems of family members). I love both songs, but there's so much personal stuff attached to them that I'm wary of playing them unless I know I am alone and don't have to see anyone for a while after.

Don't think I've ever cried over a Rush song, but I've certainly had emotional experiences with them (fondly recalls nearly freaking out during the second set at R40 in Chicago). Good times.