Let's put this to rest!

Eel Yddeg

When did his voice change?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When?

• Caress Of Steel/earlier (1975-earlier)
    • 2112 (1976)
    • 2112 Tour (1976)
    • All The World's A Stage tour (1977)
    • A Farewell To Kings (1977)
    • Drive 'Till You Die Tour (AFTK tour) (1977-78)
    • Hemispheres (1978)
    • Tour Of The Hemispheres (1978-79)
    • Permanent Waves (1979)
    • Permanent Waves tour (1980)
    • Moving Pictures (1980)
    • Moving Pictures Tour (1981)
    • Exit Stage Left tour (1981)
    • Signals (1982)
    • Signals Tour (1982)
    • Grace Under Pressure or later (1983-present)

We've had 2 debates about Geddy's voice before, but I have decided to put one more.

When do you think Geddy's voice changed from his signature high shriek style into his much more restrained style?

For me, it was a gradual process from 1978 through 1984.

For his evolution, let's use several versions of 2112, which was consistently played.

The 1977 "Drive 'Til You Die" tour was the last where, in my opinion, he had his classic grit, power, and vibrato. The way he phrases the line "Fill the hallowed halls" is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShuJRYu1qo&feature=youtu.be&t=57m11s

The Different Stages live album later on would be even better, containing my favorite version of Cygnus X-1.

They would then record the Hemispheres album in June-July 1978, it was the last with his "classic" voice. It was a very taxing album to record.

Afterwards, they would go on the "Tour Of The Hemispheres", from October 1978 through July 1979. This was the tour where his voice showed signs of change, as he still hits the notes, but without any power, grit, or vibrato. He instead goes for a lighter approach, as it makes it easier to hit the highs, but at the expense of power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-_aUNh39E

In September-October 1979, Rush recorded the Permanent Waves album, which, as we all know, features much more restraint, apart from the bridge of Freewill.

They then went on the Permanent Waves tour from January through June.

His live highs continued to degrade. Here, he still hits them, but they sound VERY weak and airy, even weaker then the ones from the Hemispheres tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWiETkvxiUY

After the recording of Moving Pictures, Rush went on the Moving Pictures tour from February to July 1981.

His technique was pretty much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbV8csGhEtA

Splitting this up, as video widgets exceeded the max.

The Exit Stage Left tour later that year showed his voice beginning to deepen. Highs remain similar.

Signal's warm up tour in April 1982 had him singing with a deeper tone, but he still went for the highs. This is much better than most versions since 1978.

By the proper tour, he wasn't going for as many highs.

(Skip to around 1 hour 35 minutes)

Finally, his voice change finished around 1984's Grace Under Pressure tour. He has lowered most high melody lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qPQEpIySc

Thoughts? Poll is multiple choice.

And this isn't JUST for when he stopped singing high, it's when his voice evolved from his '70s voice.

Signals, he stopped signing really high after Hemispheres, but his voice didnt get "lower" until Signals

It doesn't surprise me, though there are a lot of deaf Rush fans.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 2

I would agree with signals, but in an interview he talks about how he learned that he didn't have to scream everything some things were meant to be sung!

I just don't like how people post poll options without explaining.

I was referring to the fact that you posted 3 or 4 topics on when Geddy's voice changed in just the last couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I just don't like how people post poll options without explaining.

This is the risk of making polls and something to be expected. If you want a discussion DON'T make a poll. If you just want to see a number comparison with the POSSIBILITY of a discussion, make a poll.

• Like 1

People who are voting but not responding, please respond!

I did respond,

And I would never vote for this. It's called aging and changing with the times. And he still can bring it! ;)

Preach on, brother!

• Like 3

People who are voting but not responding, please respond!

I did respond,

And I would never vote for this. It's called aging and changing with the times. And he still can bring it! ;)

Preach on, brother!

Agreeing with this.

Some notes Geddy reaches on CA are breathtaking. I used to think they were shrill but not so much anymore.

Not loving CA but I am not blind to the goodness.

• Like 3

Those didn't work well, so i'm doing a better one.

As I recall, you still got a good discussion with several people giving their thoughts on the subject. If you're expecting one clear overwhelming answer on this, you're likely not going to get it because people seem to have very split opinions on this. Just a word of advice.

• Like 1

He may have been losing his high shrill voice starting in 1977 but to me that is when he developed his more mature yet still strong voice into the late eighties. To me, this development was an improvement in his vocals and should not be looked at as a decline. Edited by Shemp
  • Like 4

He may have been losing his high shrill voice starting in 1977 but to me that is when he developed his more mature yet still strong voice into the late eighties. To me, this development was an improvement in his vocals and should not be looked at as a decline.

I would agree with this. His voice matured and lowered in the late 80's, was good for about 10 years then started declining.