Test for Echo appreciation thread! (Brace yourselves)

AnEggplant

I've always liked it. Last album where they've had really good singable songs.

Agreed. But I do enjoy singing a couple of lines of Headlong Flight (just a couple).

Oh sure here and there but I meant the songs overall have a good melodic chorus and don't sound as patched together. :)

And the lyrical style is rather...random. I enjoy that aspect to be honest!

You mean on the new albums?

No on T4E. It feels so carefree and playful.

Personally, I find most of Rush's lyrics a little on the "o deary me" side, so T4E is bad, but not in an un-Rush like way.

Great album, much better music than much of CP, and with nearly as awesome production as well. Limbo totally tops LTTA for me, too. Only real problems are Ged sounds kind of silly singing certain lyrics (you know the songs; this was kind of a low point for Peart and his pen, though his relationship with his kit had never been better), the album doesn't really flow as well as it aught to (especially, it ends and begins with songs that don't sound much like openers or closers), and not much could be considered outstanding Rush material, just a lot of great stuff plus Driven.
  • Like 1

Driven is a good song, so there's that.

Katy Perry could do Half the World (remove the caps and she probably already has) and it couldn't suck any more, though I'm sure she'd try.

• Like 2

Agreed. But I do enjoy singing a couple of lines of Headlong Flight (just a couple).

Oh sure here and there but I meant the songs overall have a good melodic chorus and don't sound as patched together. :)

Personally, I find most of Rush's lyrics a little on the "o deary me" side, so T4E is bad, but not in an un-Rush like way.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "o deary me".

• Like 1

I find a lot of the bands lyrics not quite to my taste. Lyrics, however, are not the reason I came to love this band!

I find a lot of the bands lyrics not quite to my taste. Lyrics, however, are not the reason I came to love this band!

Interesting. I didn't pay that much attention to lyrics for a lot of years.

It's just OK. I put it back into my car CD rotation a couple times recently and came away thinking "meh". It's not horrible per se, but just sort of bland.

It's not as good sounding as Counterparts though. The whole thing sounds very fuzzy and slightly overdistorted. TFE was the beginning of the end of Rush for me because it contained the bad habits that would creep up more and more on the upcoming albums....too many layers of guitars and vocals (the "wall of distortion"), Neil's lyrics being shoehorned into songs that they don't really fit, Geddy singing in search of a melody, at least one song that was clearly a time filler toss-off (Carve Away The Stone)

• Like 2

There was a period where this disc was in my car stereo exclusively for weeks.. a damn fine album

Test For Echo and Driven are good. Stop......

Go back and listen to Time and Motion again. It's one of their edgiest songs with plenty of prog elements. Quite possibly the most underrated Rush song. :finbar:

Right on!
  • Like 2

Seriously, as much as I love, respect, and admire Neil, he just really was not on his "A" game with the lyrics. Musically, Al and Geddy are as solid as always, but it's so difficult to listen to the lyrics on some of the songs that really rock.

Killer riff in Virtuality that is so awkward lyrically. Test For Echo is a cool song with way too many lyrics trying to be squeezed in. Dog Years is another cool riff from Alex that has lyrics that we all know are pretty bad. Half the world is boring and repetitive. Totem has cool music and the lyrics are ok, but Geddy talking about his totem pole is slightly cringe worthy. The album also features Rush's least memorable instrumental.

Time and Motion and Driven are the 2 best songs from the album, although to this day I don't really know what Time and Motion is about...

• Like 1

I think Neil was on a downward slide lyrically from HYF onward. The hit to miss ratio for great lyrics is more even whereas before you would rarely find many truly cringeworthy lyrics. Since VT the hit ratio is greater. There is more focus there whereas drumming wise maybe he's gotten a bit lazy. I guess the music has gotten more riffy since Counterparts even though they still write very complex music. It's just not as showy.

I think Neil was on a downward slide lyrically from HYF onward. The hit to miss ratio for great lyrics is more even whereas before you would rarely find many truly cringeworthy lyrics. Since VT the hit ratio is greater. There is more focus there whereas drumming wise maybe he's gotten a bit lazy. I guess the music has gotten more riffy since Counterparts even though they still write very complex music. It's just not as showy.

I would agree. I think once he got more into traveling and writing his books, his focus on lyrics kind of went by the wayside. He didn't need that outlet anymore.

I like TfE, but like several have said, these aren't Neil's best lyrics overall. The music is absolutely awesome, though. Dog Years lyrically is awful, even taking them tongue and cheek. The heavy groove in the song though, is awesome, making me really like the song. I just totally tune out Geddy singing. Virtuality is cheesy, as well, but just awesome music. Driven and Resist are really good lyrically, and great overall songs. I think the Color of Right is clever, mostly because I am a science nerd. Some of the songs are half songs, like Totem - really cool beginning musically and lyrically, and then just gets bogged down in the O,O, OOOO angels and demons, etc. It has a special place for me, because I saw them a million times on that tour and was really the last tour I got to see them on before I grew up, got married and had kids and had to tone down my craziness a little... Edited by theanalogmiddleagedman
  • Like 1

I like TfE, but like several have said, these aren't Neil's best lyrics overall. The music is absolutely awesome, though. Dog Years lyrically is awful, even taking them tongue and cheek. The heavy groove in the song though, is awesome, making me really like the song. I just totally tune out Geddy singing. Virtuality is cheesy, as well, but just awesome music. Driven and Resist are really good lyrically, and great overall songs. I think the Color of Right is clever, mostly because I am a science nerd. Some of the songs are half songs, like Totem - really cool beginning musically and lyrically, and then just gets bogged down in the O,O, OOOO angels and demons, etc. It has a special place for me, because I saw them a million times on that tour and was really the last tour I got to see them on before I grew up, got married and had kids and had to tone down my craziness a little...

I pretty much agree with this, except I love Totem.

Well......i don't Appreciate it now. but.........Counterparts, lol. so give me time.

Mick

It's OK but the lyrics really are dreadful. Maybe the sentiments and meaning behind the songs are OK. But lyrically, this makes Counterparts sound like Bob Dylan. The lyrics ruin an otherwise fun, oddball, album! But, unlike many here, I didn't come to Rush for the lyrics, and if I am honest, Neil has never been one of my favourite lyricists ever. T4E is about on par lyrically with Fly By Night if you ask me. After HYF, Neil seemed to lose focus on his words, and by T4E he was on autopilot.

Hoping the opinions of T4E lovers haven't all snuffed it.

• Like 2

Well......i don't Appreciate it now. but.........Counterparts, lol. so give me time.

Mick

It's OK but the lyrics really are dreadful. Maybe the sentiments and meaning behind the songs are OK. But lyrically, this makes Counterparts sound like Bob Dylan. The lyrics ruin an otherwise fun, oddball, album! But, unlike many here, I didn't come to Rush for the lyrics, and if I am honest, Neil has never been one of my favourite lyricists ever. T4E is about on par lyrically with Fly By Night if you ask me. After HYF, Neil seemed to lose focus on his words, and by T4E he was on autopilot.

Hoping the opinions of T4E lovers haven't all snuffed it.

I agree. i Hate to say this about Rush. but it also feels and sounds like a band just going through the motions. Lazy lyrics and arrangements too.

Mick

• Like 1

Oh but i happen to love Carve away The Stone. Another Great closer.

Mick

This was the song I was so sure you'd like! I love it too!

• Like 1

Go back and listen to Time and Motion again. It's one of their edgiest songs with plenty of prog elements. Quite possibly the most underrated Rush song. :finbar:

On paper, it's a song that should have been good, but it turned out shitty, partly because of some horrendous vocal melodies. A bottom 5 Rush tune by any measure, IMO.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1