Anyone work in an Auto service department?

Lost In Xanadu

Looking for ideas here... took my car in because I noticed there was a power steering leak.

They came back and said that the fluid cooler was leaking, and it needed to be replaced. They also suggested changing out the lines. $600 parts and labor. I asked the service manager if there were any recalls or service bulletins and he said no.

He then suggested that since I was "close" to the warranty expiration, they might be able to do it under the warranty. Well, called me back and said they'll do it under warranty, no cost to me. They just need to order the parts. I had a 60K warranty and am at 67500... love their loose definition of "close" :D

So, I would like to send a thank you gift for the extra effort. What would be reasonable? Has anyone else done (or received) anything in a similar situation?

• Like 1

That's very nice of them and I think a gift would be entirely reasonable. If you don't know anything about the person(s) who authorized the repair then I think giving a food gift would be the easiest sort of gift. And that way multiple people could share it. A box of nice chocolates, a basket of muffins or cookies, or a gift pack of cheese, sausages, and mustard are all ideas that come to mind.
  • Like 1

Honestly I would wait until the job was complete. Your idea is a noble one for sure but I know how shops are. If it is an insurance thing it should be OK but they might find a way to "find something else" that insurance will not cover. If I may ask what car is it that only has 60,000 miles and already has power steering leaks? Also make sure you ask to see the old parts. Knowing the dealings I have had at some places they (the shop) will charge for work that was never done. When it comes to warranty work Mechanics can be like like Doctors waiting for Medicare to pay. Adding to the bill for the long wait. Ancient Ways has the best Idea. When I buy Pizza for my crew I use a formula 1lg pizza for every 3 people. Works out well and usually some left over for someone to take home even with construction workers who can tear up some Pizza :LOL: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Why would they go out of their way to get this covered under an expired warranty only to screw me? I am really not worried about that, but would definitely wait until the job was completed.

The leak was in the power steering cooler, basically a mini-radiator for the power steering fluid.

Yes I know what the cooler is. What car is it on? 60,000 is not a terrible amount of miles for a newer car. For example I have a 1994 GMC Pick Up truck 150,000 no leaks. My 1992 Honda Accord 218,000 miles never had a power steering leak. As for my caution warning I don't they would be out to screw you personally but they are a business that is profit driven. If they put on a claim they did work and a few months down the road you have a problem it may not get taken care of as it was already done. Or what I have personally seen they get the car in, the middle of the job they find another problem that will not be covered and you have to pay out of pocket. Readers digest did a study years ago. They unplugged 1 spark plug wire and took the car to 10 different mechanic shops. 9 out of 10 said every thing from complete engine overhaul, timing chain or at minimum a complete tune up. 1 shop said "oh look your spark plug wire is unplugged". Hopefully the shop your using is like the one in the study Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Pretty cool someone still covered it 7,000 miles past the warranty. And I agree, 67k is a bit soon for any serious repair. I hold modern cars to high standards!

yes, I agree... and they said it was very rare, which is part of the reason I think they pushed for Infiniti to cover the cost. When I called and told them I had a PS leak, they questioned it because that really doesn't happen.

Out of curiosity, I'd check with another shop to see how much the repair would be. $600 for this seems awful high, so I suspect they were sandbagging to begin with. Most power steering items are pretty low tech and shouldn't cost much. My wife has worked in automotive and in dealerships for years...they don't do things out of the kindness of their hearts.
  • Like 1

Call me stingy, but the gift that I would give is to keep them as my preferred repair shop. They do these things to please their customers and keep them coming back, so that is what I would do - keep coming back.
  • Like 2

Why would they go out of their way to get this covered under an expired warranty only to screw me? I am really not worried about that, but would definitely wait until the job was completed.

The leak was in the power steering cooler, basically a mini-radiator for the power steering fluid.

Their line of thinking might have went like this. If you didn't do the repair, then you drive away with a problem that could cause you to loose power steering and loose control of your car. *cough* lawsuit *cough*. So the cost of eating the repair was less than the possible risk they might incurr. The dealerships also get all kinds of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that tell the dealers about possible issues to look for. Check your car on carcomplaints.com to see if this is a common complaint about your car. I'm sure your a nice person, but I think there was alot more involved with their decision than that.

I heard the news about a recall on my engine even though it only has 62k. I'm trying my best to break it.

• Like 2

Their line of thinking might have went like this. If you didn't do the repair, then you drive away with a problem that could cause you to loose power steering and loose control of your car. *cough* lawsuit *cough*. So the cost of eating the repair was less than the possible risk they might incurr. The dealerships also get all kinds of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that tell the dealers about possible issues to look for. Check your car on carcomplaints.com to see if this is a common complaint about your car. I'm sure your a nice person, but I think there was alot more involved with their decision than that.

I heard the news about a recall on my engine even though it only has 62k. I'm trying my best to break it.

nothing regarding my car... but the dealership has pretty high marks...

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/International-Infiniti-review-36625/?__v3=1

• Like 1

Call me stingy, but the gift that I would give is to keep them as my preferred repair shop. They do these things to please their customers and keep them coming back, so that is what I would do - keep coming back.

Good point. I get all my work done at the same place since they've never steered me wrong on repairs. I go about once a year just to get things checked. I have 140k on my Honda and you wouldn't know it had over 50.

• Like 1

...I would like to send a thank you gift for the extra effort...

though well-meaning, all food and drink are a matter of taste - someone's always not gonna like 'something'

if you're heart is set on a 'thank you', I suggest waiting until all service is complete and you're completely satisfied

then, write a letter to the service manager's boss detailing the stellar service - cc to the appropriate contacts at the parent company, and of course a copy to the service manager themself

^ this is worth 100 muffin baskets to someone's livelihood (you know how many people only write when they want to complain)

if you still want to make it a little more personal, get a prepaid Visa/AmEx and hand it to the manager along with the letter and tell them to use it as they see fit ('this is a thank you - so go ahead, take everyone out to lunch or put it all on the Patriots game, whatever') - it's the only gift that covers all the bases (and isn't cash which people are funny about nowadays) :)

Edited by ghostworks