Thoughts on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1975)?

Absolutely love it. I often prefer the live version that came with the 70s archival set. Some vocal overdubs by Peter, but that doesn't bother me much. It sounds so good, and it's a bit looser than the studio version--in the best possible way. It's more forceful and dynamic.

I love everything on the album, with the exception of the program number filler, such as the Waiting Room and Ravine. And most days I can do without the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging. It's a little obnoxious. Otherwise brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time.

I think it is a profound album. It had quite a grip on me for a long time.

• Like 2

Absolutely love it. I often prefer the live version that came with the 70s archival set. Some vocal overdubs by Peter, but that doesn't bother me much. It sounds so good, and it's a bit looser than the studio version--in the best possible way. It's more forceful and dynamic.

I love everything on the album, with the exception of the program number filler, such as the Waiting Room and Ravine. And most days I can do without the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging. It's a little obnoxious. Otherwise brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time.

I think it is a profound album. It had quite a grip on me for a long time.

Live bootlegs of the lamb are some of the best pieces of music ever, a new version of the album every night. I for one love every track on the album but can see your reasons on ravine and the waiting room. It kicks ass though live.
  • Like 1

Actually it's from 1974.

I think it's a very good album. I can't really call it a masterpiece but does have it's moments. I think side one and side four are the best. If we made a single album out of those two sides it would be much better. The story is totally absurd also which makes it difficult for me to take seriously or enjoy more. I still like it but I'm not even sure it would crack my Genesis top five.

Actually it's from 1974.

I think it's a very good album. I can't really call it a masterpiece but does have it's moments. I think side one and side four are the best. If we made a single album out of those two sides it would be much better. The story is totally absurd also which makes it difficult for me to take seriously or enjoy more. I still like it but I'm not even sure it would crack my Genesis top five.

Haha! my top five Genesis studio records are "Trespass" to "Lamb!"

• Like 3

Actually it's from 1974.

Totally agree, I listen to the albums quite regular at the moment. Lamb has some great moments I can listen all day to!

• Like 2

Actually it's from 1974.

Totally agree, I listen to the albums quite regular at the moment. Lamb has some great moments I can listen all day to!

You Rule. Welcome to this Funny Fukked Up Freaky Funky Forum!

Best Genesis album but you need to dedicate time to listen it start to finish. Maybe it's my favorite since I saw the Lamb tour in '74 at the Capitol Theater NJ. Very trippy stage show.

A lot if great instrumental passages throughout the music. It's a masterpiece !!!

Fly on the Windshield

Cuckoo Cocoon

Counting Out Time

Lilywhite Lilith + The Waiting Room ( fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist

Riding the Scree

blah blah blah it's great

• Like 2

one of the best albums ever. gets a lot of flak for being "pretentious" but I think it's one of their most musical, songwriting-oriented albums. one of the few double albums I can always listen to in one sitting
  • Like 2

One of the definitive prog albums of the seventies,and a classic concept album.

Genesis never sounded better than this.

In The Cage,Back In NY City,Chamber of 32 Doors,The Lamia,The Colony of Slippermen etc.

Great tracks all.

Yet this album broke the band up,and Gabriel left,only for Phil Collins to take over vocals.

10/10! My favourite G album.

• Like 1

I finally got it a couple weeks back. I've been kinda quiet on here about it because I wanted to really digest it first. That said...

Like, one fewer ambient instrumental and it would basically one of the more perfect albums I've ever heard. If you follow the lyrics while listening, even if you don't really get exactly what's going on, the actually images that Peter paints and the sequence he puts them in are arguably more captivating than Supper's Ready. The whole album is just tied together really well aesthetically and Peter's brilliant storytelling helps to make the large and unwieldy runtime go down smoothly. I honestly want more from it when it finishes, which I've never said about a double album before. When I finish Quadrophenia, I've had enough of it. The Wall, same. Tommy, I've sat through it long enough. Those are all great albums with excellent stories, but The Lamb just sucks me into another dimension with Rael. Not to mention if you pay attention to the instruments they're all experimenting with new ideas while still playing at the peak of their players' powers. Multiple monster keyboard solos, beautiful guitar work, and downright groovy drums and bass. And the variety present is another testament to these guys creative drive. How The Grand Parade of Lifeless packaging follows In The Cage, that's the kind of stylistic juxtaposition that I love on Queen albums. The album as a whole somehow surprises me in how much it foreshadows both Genesis' and Gabriels' later work (the soundscape is somewhere between Wind and Wuthering and Melt, which is totally rad).

Overall, I'd take Supper's Ready over it, as far as concept pieces go, but I might just take The Lamb over Foxtrot for my favorite Genesis record. Maybe it's still the novelty of it, but every song is a different episode in a masterfully told mad tale about a young punk getting sucked into another realm of existence. I mean he dies like at least 3 times, and somehow the story just keeps going. Really, side 3 drags just a little, but it has Lillywhite Lilith, Anyway, and The Lamia, so I'm not complaining.

This is an excellent record, and I'm so glad I waited to find it on vinyl before hearing it.

Overrated as all hell. I always just listen to disc 1.'

yea yea boo.

lol.

Mick

Oh Mick, at least you love Supper's Ready! :P

• Like 1

Overrated as all hell. I always just listen to disc 1.'

yea yea boo.

lol.

Mick

Oh Mick, at least you love Supper's Ready! :P

Supper's ready is my fav prog epic.

I actually love the first disc of Lamb.

2nd disc looses me though.

Mick

• Like 1

Fantastic, and i saw it played live at Maple Leaf gardens.-------unreal.

I saw the show in 1974 at the Capitol Theater, NJ.

28750214577_9634f4b3fd_n.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 5

Fantastic, and i saw it played live at Maple Leaf gardens.-------unreal.

I saw the show in 1974 at the Capitol Theater, NJ.

28750214577_9634f4b3fd_n.jpg

:o :notworthy:

• Like 1

Listening to The Lamb again today. Dang if Anyway isn't one of my favorite Genesis songs. Might be my top choice on the record. Also, I still adore Cuckoo Cocoon. Gorgeous little slice of melody there.

Every side is essential though. Gabriel's greatest voice work.

f***ing perfect record that Radiohead has tried in earnest to match.

Phil’s drums are mixed a little too far back but that is my only complaint.

Radiohead? Have they mentioned being Genesis fans or liking this record? If so, I never knew! That would be really cool! (Also it would be really cool to hear them cover some of this material)