Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

Lots of Dream Theater talk in this thread....without much competition, maybe the most talented group (minus James Labia) of musicians ever assembled into a rock band. I am constantly super impressed by how technically advanced their music is. Having said that, apart from a few notable exceptions, they f***ing suck at writing music.

james is definitely talented. he just sounds like shit a lot. before he got food poisoning, he sounded like a normal singer

• Like 2

Lots of Dream Theater talk in this thread....without much competition, maybe the most talented group (minus James Labia) of musicians ever assembled into a rock band. I am constantly super impressed by how technically advanced their music is. Having said that, apart from a few notable exceptions, they f***ing suck at writing music.

james is definitely talented. he just sounds like shit a lot. before he got food poisoning, he sounded like a normal singer

IMO, James is a great singer when given the right musical context. He really thrives on their poppier tracks like Solitary Shell and Take Away My Pain. I don't think he makes a great metal vocalist though
  • Like 1

IMO, James is a great singer when given the right musical context. He really thrives on their poppier tracks like Solitary Shell and Take Away My Pain. I don't think he makes a great metal vocalist though

Maybe that's it. He actually sounds pretty good on The Human Equation. I still wouldn't mind if Dream Theater got a new singer though.

• Like 1

The Commodores are a prog rock band? :unsure:

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/601069111/dont_label_me_decal.jpg?height=225&width=225

i don't know that you could meet anyone who hates the endless categories they've put rock music in more than me. :boo hiss:

I was just asking. :)

i don't even know what the heck progressive rock is. :joker:

Progressive rock is a style of rock that makes snobs think they are smarter than anyone else.

Got that definition from the Oxford Dictionary.

You used a dictionary? That's not very prog. http://www.sorkino.it/style_emoticons/default/snob.png

Jon and Ian Anderson edited it.

Jon = Douchey Prog

Ian = Cool Bluesy Prog

Ian > Jon

(in my book)

I think yes are much better than tull, but tull definitely had an emphasis on hummable tunes that some of the other prog bands didn't, and tull also had a sense of humor. although yes are definitely songwriting first, musicianship second - I've seen all good people and roundabout are rock radio staples for a reason.

Both are great.

But Yes are by far the better of the two. Love them!

Prog Rock is what Rush used to be

Used, used, used, used to be. Long, long, long ago now. One more for the Gipper with Mr. Brown at the helm would make me happy... :)

without much competition, maybe the most talented group (minus James Labia) of musicians ever assembled into a rock band

That has to be a joke.

Even if you equal technical skill with talent, they aren't close to the best.

Edited by Irenicus

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/601069111/dont_label_me_decal.jpg?height=225&width=225

i don't know that you could meet anyone who hates the endless categories they've put rock music in more than me. :boo hiss:

Progressive rock is a style of rock that makes snobs think they are smarter than anyone else.

You used a dictionary? That's not very prog. http://www.sorkino.it/style_emoticons/default/snob.png

Jon = Douchey Prog

Ian = Cool Bluesy Prog

Ian > Jon

(in my book)

I think yes are much better than tull, but tull definitely had an emphasis on hummable tunes that some of the other prog bands didn't, and tull also had a sense of humor. although yes are definitely songwriting first, musicianship second - I've seen all good people and roundabout are rock radio staples for a reason.

Both are great.

Given a choice, I'd take Tull. For the humor and more reigned-in complexity. Both are solid, of course. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Jon = Douchey Prog

Ian = Cool Bluesy Prog

Ian > Jon

(in my book)

Both are great.

Given a choice, I'd take Tull. For the humor and more reigned-in complexity. Both are solid, of course.

I love both and at certain times have really favored one over the other but I think overall Tull gets the nod.

without much competition, maybe the most talented group (minus James Labia) of musicians ever assembled into a rock band

That has to be a joke.

Even if you equal technical skill with talent, they aren't close to the best.

I guess I just am not aware of the other contenders
  • Like 1

I love Yes to death, I still have to listen to Jethro Tull.

Oh man let me know when you are ready to make the plunge. :)

I would like to, do you have any suggestions for what I should listen to first?

Can't go wrong with Thick as a Brick. If you're looking for something a bit more medieval/folky, check out Songs From the Wood

Yep. Start from the top. There is a progression from one album to be next up until I would say Thick as a Brick. After that they released excellent records all the way thru Crest of A Knave. Tull are like Rush where you always get elements of the next album on each successive turn. Everything from the debut until War Child gets increasingly proggy then they start to get more back to folk/rock with the next one, until they start getting more electronic with A then back again to blues rock starting with Crest.

Those named are my favorites along with Minstrell in the Gallery. Stand Up and Benefit are also great.

• Like 1

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

This has got to be the most pointless post I've ever seen on here, sorry!

:popcorn:

First of all, how do you feel about classical music and jazz? If you like complex music, you may really like some stuff from those genres. I can give you further recommendations if you would like.

I used to be the same way as you, so I can relate to what you are saying. Now that I am studying to be a classical musician, though, I am finding that every type of music has its own importance and complexity. Yes, even rap and country. Music is more than just the notes and the ink on the page. It is indeed impressive to see just how much goes into the composition of music like progressive rock, and all the different time signatures that pop up, but you don't need to have those kinds of frills on the paper to make music that is meaningful. Sometimes the best music is the simplest. For instance:

Here is a piece by Hans Werner Henze. It is one of the most complex, technically challenging solos in the classical trumpet repertoire: https://youtu.be/ORvldzCaBiA

And here is a simple song by Kurt Weill:

Yes, the Henze has more black ink on the paper. Yes, the harmony is more complex in the Henze, and certainly, fewer people can play all the notes on the page successfully on the Henze than on the Weill. But few people can play the Weill as convincingly and with as much attention to detail as Tine Thing Helseth does in this recording.

That is why, to me, simple music like folk and country work. It's not about how the music is put together, so much as it is how it is delivered. There is a lot of nuance to the delivery of simple music -- just as much as there is nuance to the composition of complex music.

Rap is another story. I think the complexity of the lyrics speaks for itself in a lot of rap (artists like Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, Aesop Rock...). Also, there is a great social importance to rap. It is a quickly changing, journalistic art, which makes it very different from other forms.

To me, there is no harm in trying to enjoy other genres of music with different levels of compositional complexity and technical difficulty. The more we can enjoy, the happier, more empathetic, and more well-rounded we are! :)

• Like 1

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

First of all, how do you feel about classical music and jazz? If you like complex music, you may really like some stuff from those genres. I can give you further recommendations if you would like.

I used to be the same way as you, so I can relate to what you are saying. Now that I am studying to be a classical musician, though, I am finding that every type of music has its own importance and complexity. Yes, even rap and country. Music is more than just the notes and the ink on the page. It is indeed impressive to see just how much goes into the composition of music like progressive rock, and all the different time signatures that pop up, but you don't need to have those kinds of frills on the paper to make music that is meaningful. Sometimes the best music is the simplest. For instance:

Here is a piece by Hans Werner Henze. It is one of the most complex, technically challenging solos in the classical trumpet repertoire: https://youtu.be/ORvldzCaBiA

Yes, the Henze has more black ink on the paper. Yes, the harmony is more complex in the Henze, and certainly, fewer people can play all the notes on the page successfully on the Henze than on the Weill. But few people can play the Weill as convincingly and with as much attention to detail as Tine Thing Helseth does in this recording.

That is why, to me, simple music like folk and country work. It's not about how the music is put together, so much as it is how it is delivered. There is a lot of nuance to the delivery of simple music -- just as much as there is nuance to the composition of complex music.

Rap is another story. I think the complexity of the lyrics speaks for itself in a lot of rap (artists like Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, Aesop Rock...). Also, there is a great social importance to rap. It is a quickly changing, journalistic art, which makes it very different from other forms.

To me, there is no harm in trying to enjoy other genres of music with different levels of compositional complexity and technical difficulty. The more we can enjoy, the happier, more empathetic, and more well-rounded we are! :)

I never meant to say I found other genres less meaningful, I just find them to be much more boring musically, and as such kind of bore me in general. I do like some things outside of Prog, just not many. For example, I understand that Rap has produced some genius lyrics, but it is musically so repetitive and simplistic that it bores me to listen to it.

As far as Jazz and Classical are concerned, I do like those genres, and if you have any suggestions of music from them I'm all ears. :)

I never meant to say I found other genres less meaningful, I just find them to be much more boring musically, and as such kind of bore me in general. I do like some things outside of Prog, just not many. For example, I understand that Rap has produced some genius lyrics, but it is musically so repetitive and simplistic that it bores me to listen to it.

As far as Jazz and Classical are concerned, I do like those genres, and if you have any suggestions of music from them I'm all ears. :)

Awesome! I'll PM some suggestions.

Yep. Start from the top. There is a progression from one album to be next up until I would say Thick as a Brick. After that they released excellent records all the way thru Crest of A Knave. Tull are like Rush where you always get elements of the next album on each successive turn. Everything from the debut until War Child gets increasingly proggy then they start to get more back to folk/rock with the next one, until they start getting more electronic with A then back again to blues rock starting with Crest.

Those named are my favorites along with Minstrell in the Gallery. Stand Up and Benefit are also great.

Okay cool, will do! Thanks!

Jon = Douchey Prog

Ian = Cool Bluesy Prog

Ian > Jon

(in my book)

Both are great.

Given a choice, I'd take Tull. For the humor and more reigned-in complexity. Both are solid, of course.

My favorite Tull album is "THICK AS A DICK!"

I don't buy this for a minute! I've seen your posts on here over the years and I'm pretty sure you're more open to non-prog than you let on.. do you consider Y&T prog? Ratt??

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

I don't buy this for a minute! I've seen your posts on here over the years and I'm pretty sure you're more open to non-prog than you let on.. do you consider Y&T prog? Ratt??

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Years?

• Like 2

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Years?

My thoughts exacticles!

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

You've seen my posts here over the years? I haven't even been here a full year. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Also I never heard Ratt or Y&T.

• Like 2

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

You've seen my posts here over the years? I haven't even been here a full year. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Also I never heard Ratt or Y&T.

Maybe he is another person convinced you are someone else, some particular person who got banned whose name we shall not mention (SavageGrace)!

(Not seen a single jot of evidence in anything you have posted, but never mind!)

• Like 2