Natural Science vs Jacob´s Ladder

YYZumbi

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which song of these two do you think is the best one?

Now when they have played both these songs live recently, then I was thinking it would be good with a poll.

Which of these two great songs do you think is the best one?

Natural Science or Jacob´s Ladder?

For me, this is easy. Natural Science gets my vote.

Jacob´s Ladder is a good song, but to be honest... I don´t see the greatness in it.... (it´s great for being a Rush song, but not great among Rush songs)

While Natural Science is one of their best songs ever made! I just love the drums in it.

Jacob's Ladder has always been special to me. The intro has that 5/4 > 6/4 thing going on with those unusually tense major chords. Then for the verse the 5/4 > 6/4 rhythm continues in the guitar and drums and Geddy is in 4/4 juxtaposed over top of that! That's the only occasion where I can think of Rush truly doing that particular effect. There are lots of odd time signatures in their songs to be sure, but nothing exactly like that. Then to top it off with the section at the end which is alternating 6/8 > 7/8... That might be the best kick and snare placement Neil has ever done, especially the ESL version and even the R40 was updated and quite refreshing. The song has a vibe unlike any other tune, at least for me.
  • Like 2

Graxxus, there's an old and not well known song by Blood Sweat & Tears named The Battle. See if you can find it and listen to it. Something about Jacob's Ladder always reminds me of it. You, as a musician, might be able to tell me why.

On it

Hard to compare the two because "best" isn't really specific enough. Best what? Best use of lyrics? Well it's obvious which one that would be. Best instrumental? Also obvious which one it would be. Best use of storm clouds? Also obvious. :)

Graxxus, there's an old and not well known song by Blood Sweat & Tears named The Battle. See if you can find it and listen to it. Something about Jacob's Ladder always reminds me of it. You, as a musician, might be able to tell me why.

I had never heard the Blood, Sweat And Tears song before, so I just listened ... Lorraine, it might be the military style snare drum that that appears in both songs ....

.. and of course, the word "battle" :D

NS kinda sucks studio

:o Oh, my...

Well, to each his own. ;)

:LOL: Yeah, I just can't dig it studio. I love it live, but the studio version sounds…cold, if that makes any sense.

NS kinda sucks studio

:o Oh, my...

Well, to each his own. ;)

:LOL: Yeah, I just can't dig it studio. I love it live, but the studio version sounds…cold, if that makes any sense.

I respect your opinion about that, but I've never gotten that feel from it. I think of certain things from Power Windows as sounding cold. (I still like Power Windows, a lot. But still).