Boston V. Van Halen (the albums...the bands too if you like)

Entre_Perpetuo

Which album is awesomer?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Boston - Boston
    • Van Halen - Van Halen

I just know back when it was all really happening at least in my little part of the world the "real" rock guys (outcasts if you will) were into Van Halen and the dudes that just wanted to be popular and had girlfriends liked Boston and stuff like that. One of my best friends and the best man at my wedding was like that. He wasn't into the Rush, Priest, Yes, AC/DC etc and hiding in his room listening to music all the time like I was. He was into whatever was popular and hung with that crowd mostly because of it and had girlfriends etc. My other really close friends were more nerdy, non girlfriend having, alone in their room hard rock dudes...

I always figured it probably went something like this, but listnening to the albums alone I find them both musically astonishing, unlike the modern split between popular music and "cool/nerdy" music.

Van Halen blew the doors off. Everything changed after that album. I remember the time well. Boston, although very good, was just immensely popular. And, to this day, I don't understand why.

I think I was wrong...I think VH might have had two albums better than Boston's debut...

Replaying them I am sorta like "Boston? Whodat!"

I take that back. Boston is an extremely well-made album. Great production, great hooks. I totally understand why it's so popular. I just don't think it really changed anything. If that makes any sense....

Makes perfect sense. Boston, I think, is overall the better album, but certainly less influential.
  • Like 1

Van Halen blew the doors off. Everything changed after that album. I remember the time well. Boston, although very good, was just immensely popular. And, to this day, I don't understand why.

I think I was wrong...I think VH might have had two albums better than Boston's debut...

I take that back. Boston is an extremely well-made album. Great production, great hooks. I totally understand why it's so popular. I just don't think it really changed anything. If that makes any sense....

Makes perfect sense. Boston, I think, is overall the better album, but certainly less influential.

It is just a really good Styx album minus one annoying DeYoung.

No originality, just plenty of kick ass hooks!

Not a fan of the artwork though.

I think Van Halen wins this after reading posts and listening to the albums.

I cannot vote.

I wasn't there, I am torn by which I prefer, and which I know rocks better.

I was there, and can't - or won't - vote. Two great albums.
  • Like 2

You couldn't be farther off, really.
  • Like 2

You couldn't be farther off, really.

Possibly...I might be muddling release dates up...lol

I just listened to both to be sure. both Classic records.

but still.....Boston. listening to em both i was surprised at how not even close this is.

Mick

It's so good there was no place for them to go. Every note is perfect.
  • Like 2

I am torn again.

This might be the most difficult poll ever!

Sophie had it easy.

This choice, between these two, IS IMPOSSIBLE!

but still.....Boston. listening to em both i was surprised at how not even close this is.

Mick

and it's the only Boston record i actively play......even though i have them all.

not that they aren't good but you can't top perfection.

VH.....I was listening to it......Great songs and playing.......but man i dislike dave. i mean vocally.......not for me.

Mick

• Like 2

I am torn again.

Sophie had it easy.

:LOL: Listen to both on headphones...
  • Like 2

Mick

and it's the only Boston record i actively play......even though i have them all.

VH.....I was listening to it......Great songs and playing.......but man i dislike dave. i mean vocally.......not for me.

Mick

I kind of think Third Stage is better.

And I love that albums cover as well!

I am torn again.

Sophie had it easy.

:LOL: Listen to both on headphones...

I think this is a must!

I am leaning towards Boston.

Am I the most indecisive person ever?

• Like 1

Apples to Samsung

Bananas to pink Warhol penises.

I love the thread though.

Tom VS Eddie? Really??

Alex VS Sid?

Man, I love the first three Boston albums. "Walk On" is going to be remade as "COCK ON." GROSS!

Van Halen did six albums in a row of perfection. "Different Truth" is mint.

VAN HALEN KICKS BOSTON'S WIMPY VEGAN NO GMO ASSES!!!!!!

VAN HAGAR SUCKS KALE SALAD ASS TOO! WIMPY KEYBORED POP POOP!!!!

• Like 3

Mick

Mick

I saw the "Third Stage" Tour in Oakland. My friends and I loved it so much we went back for night number two! INCREDIBLE!!!!

But come on. VAN HALEN RULES!

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I saw the "Third Stage" Tour in Oakland. My friends and I loved it so much we went back for night number two! INCREDIBLE!!!!

But come on. VAN HALEN RULES!

I voted Vam Halen.

They can't be beaten!

YOU ARE BACK!

where have you been? Or have I just missed your posts?

Mick

I have a feeling with these two it really does make a difference if you heard them during the time they were released. How influential they were and are is just something that has happened over the years since. The Boston debut is perfectly crafted, like a gorgeous piece of artwork. The Van Halen debut is raw, basic rock and basically just Eddie with his backup band. Two different entities entirely. Two great albums, but I have to go with Boston on this one.

• Like 4