How is/was your connections with RUSH lyrics?

mother of all machines

Ok, it was no longer than 20 minutes ago i was coming home and while in the bus, i started listening to Presto. It was long time since the last time i listened to Rush, and i started listening carefully to the lyrics. Nothing more than The Pass and War Paint. Both of these songs, for me, as a lucky teenager that doesnt have self esteem issures, were like... I cant explain. All i can say is i almost cried in the middle of the bus, it really touched me. Knowing i have friends with the mentioned issues in the song, that do not have this help as rush is, broke my heart. Of course its not my first time feeling touched with their lyrics, either the last. But, what about you? When was the last time and how was it?
  • Like 5

Subdivisions is one of those songs that everyone i feel like can relate to.

The feeling of being a "cast out" and "fitting in" with everyone else, it is the major reason why i love that song so much.

But things like 2112, and the 2 Cygnus books i pay attention to also. They tell a story and as good as the music is, if you understand what they are actually saying, i feel like it makes the song just that much better.

• Like 3

The lyrics to War Paint are one my favorite sentiments Neil has ever expressed in his lyrics.

"To the powerful and the wise, the mirror always lies..."

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 4

The lyrics to War Paint are one my favorite sentiments Neil has ever expressed in his lyrics.

The thing that touched me a lot was painting the mirror black.... First time i got it message REALLY clearly

• Like 3

Ok, it was no longer than 20 minutes ago i was coming home and while in the bus, i started listening to Presto. It was long time since the last time i listened to Rush, and i started listening carefully to the lyrics. Nothing more than The Pass and War Paint. Both of these songs, for me, as a lucky teenager that doesnt have self esteem issures, were like... I cant explain. All i can say is i almost cried in the middle of the bus, it really touched me. Knowing i have friends with the mentioned issues in the song, that do not have this help as rush is, broke my heart. Of course its not my first time feeling touched with their lyrics, either the last. But, what about you? When was the last time and how was it?

This ^^^ . Exactly how I felt when I watched Rush in Rio and saw the Pass and Resist. The Pass especially.

• Like 3

When I first began listening to Rush, I was 10 years old ( 1977 ), and admittedly, I didn't fully comprehend the meaning of some of the songs .... I loved Geddy's voice, and the band just seemed odd and very individualistic ... Geddy sang and looked different - this was the 1970s, and yes, a lot of people had long hair, but Geddy was sort of this eccentric guy who you weren't sure if he was male or female, and his voice didn't help solve that issue :) .... Alex was awesome going from classical to hollowbody electric and Neil was always pictured quietly reading - I identified with them that way at first - this band of outsiders ..

As I got older, I really latched on to the individualism aspect - I felt encouraged and inspired to believe in myself, and that made me feel as if I could contribute in a positive way to the big picture -

I will say that the music itself is really what helped paint the pictures for me ... Jacob's Ladder, Cygnus X1, Natural Science, etc all contained some great lyrics, but the mood that the music provided really was powerful .

For me, what is important about the earlier songs is that they allowed the listener to be inspired by their own imagination - it wasn't simply sci-fi stuff for me - and it still isn't - it is some of the greatest recorded music because I become a part of it

• Like 4

'Net boy, Net girl' was ahead of it's time.

Little did we know our dial up modems would progress to

AOL Chatrooms, Lycos, Geocities, Worldcom, Friendster, MySpace, Facebook, Tinder, Ashley Madison etc....

Basically making stalking and perversion an acceptable hobby.

• Like 2

Open Secrets strikes a major chord with me...has for a long time, really.

I was about to say this!

It went right by me

Just another wall

There should have been a moment

When we let our barriers fall

I never meant

What you're thinking

That is not what I meant at all...

Well I guess we all

Have these feelings

We can't leave unreconciled

Some of them burned on our ceilings

Some of them learned as a child

• Like 1

The thing that touched me a lot was painting the mirror black.... First time i got it message REALLY clearly

It's a great message that you can carry forever. :)
  • Like 1

AOL Chatrooms, Lycos, Geocities, Worldcom, Friendster, MySpace, Facebook, Tinder, Ashley Madison etc....

The first few you mention were definitely already around in 1996. In fact, it was the spawn of these that caused him to write (rather negatively) on the topic. I was chatting with Rush fans way back in 1992 on Prodigy and AOL.

Clem

• Like 2

And raising narcissism to new heights. Billions of "selfie" posts . . .

• Like 1

The lyrics are a huge reason why I've stayed with Rush my whole life. Of course every member of the band is a master musician and the music they created has enormous artistic merit, but I just don't think Rush would be Rush without Neil's lyrics. From the early fantasy-inspired days to introspective concepts and even world view perspectives....you can hear the band grow up through the lyrics and the music progressively. To me, that is the hidden meaning of "progressive rock" - not necessarily a band that plays technical licks in odd time signatures, but a band that improves and reinvents (grows) with each new album.

But here is what is truly wild about Neil's lyrics to me. As a young adult, I almost feel like I can place myself in Neil's shoes when he was my age - all by listening to whatever album he would have been writing at the time. It turns out that 26 year old Neil and I think a lot alike, and wonder about similar things. But I may find that as I get older, my views and thoughts will change. And I wonder how I'll listen to Rush differently then.

Edited by MeanMeanPride
  • Like 3

Last night I was remembering one of the moments I cried the most: 40 minutes crying after listening to Everyday's Glory with my dad on the car. No matter how much I resisted I finally broke into tears.

"Just a small spark of decency,

Against the starless night,

With all hope and dignity,

A child can follow the light

No matter what they say..."

• Like 1

The lyrics are a huge reason why I've stayed with Rush my whole life. Of course every member of the band is a master musician and the music they created has enormous artistic merit, but I just don't think Rush would be Rush without Neil's lyrics. From the early fantasy-inspired days to introspective concepts and even world view perspectives....you can hear the band grow up through the lyrics and the music progressively. To me, that is the hidden meaning of "progressive rock" - not necessarily a band that plays technical licks in odd time signatures, but a band that improves and reinvents (grows) with each new album.

But here is what is truly wild about Neil's lyrics to me. As a young adult, I almost feel like I can place myself in Neil's shoes when he was my age - all by listening to whatever album he would have been writing at the time. It turns out that 26 year old Neil and I think a lot alike, and wonder about similar things. But I may find that as I get older, my views and thoughts will change. And I wonder how I'll listen to Rush differently then.

Nicely put. It's kind of a developmental thing.

Nicely put. It's kind of a developmental thing.

I started listening to Rush at age 10, the lyrics was a big factor, they really spoke to me, now at 50 songs like "The Garden" again speak to me, I can find songs in every decade of Rush that echo what was going on in my life at the time. They are my all time favorite band for that reason.

• Like 3