Rush - Roll The Bones LIVE R40 VIDEO!

Sticklight

You can pre-order the package on Amazon now, looks like for the first time those greedy bastards jump on the opportunity to grab some extra cash by forcing you to buy the whole package :

Rush combo

You can pre-order the package on Amazon now, looks like for the first time those greedy bastards jump on the opportunity to grab some extra cash by forcing you to buy the whole package :

Rush combo

I'm quite fine with this, because I always buy both the video and CD. We still don't have a cover and no official announcement on rush.com on exactly how it's being released. I think it's still wholly possible that it will be released as a separate DVD / blu-ray. If not, then those folks who avoid buying the audio version by regularly ripping the audio from the video discs (or however, and thus avoiding having to pay for it) will actually have to (gasp) pay a little for the audio this time around. :LOL:

I like the video work in the clip. Makes me hopeful for the rest of the show. I am more excited about the audio. They must have decided to use more than Alex's car stereo as a baseline as to what sounds good this time.
  • Like 1

I hope they release another song to tease us with. God bless Roll the Bones, but it ain't one of my faves.

I'd almost like to hear like Spirit or something, a standard tune that I can use to benchmark against every other live release they do. Whenever there's a new Live album, I listed to Spirit first, as I know that song inside and out and can pretty much instantly gauge which aspects of the live recording I will and won't like.

Edited by puffyshirt
  • Like 1

I like the video work in the clip. Makes me hopeful for the rest of the show. I am more excited about the audio. They must have decided to use more than Alex's car stereo as a baseline as to what sounds good this time.

:LOL:

Rush combo

Since the blu-ray is only mentioned under the CD/Vinyl section so far, I'm guessing Amazon just hasn't received the info for the stand alone video yet. There WILL be one.

Rush combo

Cheaper than buying each separately

Exactly. I'm not sure if I'm gonna pre-order this or just go into the nearest Best Buy and hope they have it, but this 3CD/BluRay combo's perfect for me!

• Like 1

Very happy with the mix and the editing. Looks like they purposely avoided the vertigo-inducing quick edits - and found an excellent balance of shots focused on each player, up close, overhead, crowd shots, screen shots. (I hope they have a wide angle for the Cygnus laser show!)

I wondered if they mixed footage from the two nights a bit - I noticed on the drum groove leading into the verse, both times, the hat sound is the tight / choked, but the video shows those hats sloshing away, fairly open. Just for that tiny clip, the visual just didn't match the audio in this drummer's brain. Could be the mix tightened up that sound a bit there - I'll have to re-watch.

You've been fooled! It an illusion that happens to happen to the hi-hats when he steps on the hi-hat pedal on each eighth note downbeat. Whenever a drummer plays the upbeat with the bass drum and plays straight eighths over a hi-hat that is being closed every downbeat this illusion occurs. The drum audio wasn't cleaned up at all. It's just a time keeping trick that fools many people.

Very happy with the mix and the editing. Looks like they purposely avoided the vertigo-inducing quick edits - and found an excellent balance of shots focused on each player, up close, overhead, crowd shots, screen shots. (I hope they have a wide angle for the Cygnus laser show!)

I wondered if they mixed footage from the two nights a bit - I noticed on the drum groove leading into the verse, both times, the hat sound is the tight / choked, but the video shows those hats sloshing away, fairly open. Just for that tiny clip, the visual just didn't match the audio in this drummer's brain. Could be the mix tightened up that sound a bit there - I'll have to re-watch.

You've been fooled! It an illusion that happens to happen to the hi-hats when he steps on the hi-hat pedal on each eighth note downbeat. Whenever a drummer plays the upbeat with the bass drum and plays straight eighths over a hi-hat that is being closed every downbeat this illusion occurs. The drum audio wasn't cleaned up at all. It's just a time keeping trick that fools many people.

I know what you're talking about - as a drummer, I play those foot eighths downbeats (or upbeats!) all the time; but what I see in the video is a very sloshy hat, angling with the impact of each strike. Watch the hats move as he strikes them in that measure - sound isn't matching the visual. I watched it again, and while I do suspect there was some audio editing done, and there is certainly a gate on the drum signals which smooths out the hats, I also know that Neil's highhat lessons with Peter Erksine led him to loosen the clutch to get a more open sloshy sound, however, that open sound is being clipped by his closing of the hat on those eighths - but visually you can see the hats responding to the strike, I would bet on some audio magic.

I know what you're talking about - as a drummer, I play those foot eighths downbeats (or upbeats!) all the time; but what I see in the video is a very sloshy hat, angling with the impact of each strike. Watch the hats move as he strikes them in that measure - sound isn't matching the visual. I watched it again, and while I do suspect there was some audio editing done, and there is certainly a gate on the drum signals which smooths out the hats, I also know that Neil's highhat lessons with Peter Erksine led him to loosen the clutch to get a more open sloshy sound, however, that open sound is being clipped by his closing of the hat on those eighths - but visually you can see the hats responding to the strike, I would bet on some audio magic.

Is there a video on YouTube of these shows? Just wondered if it would be possible to figure out what they did.

I just watched the video and it looks and sounds fantastic! I can't wait to see the whole recording!

it was awesome wasn't it! Sure made me want more concerts though!

:rush:

I wonder if they'll try squeezing in The Camera Eye from another how somehow since it wasn't played in Toronto

Some say it was filmed at the KC show (which I was at!!)

If that's true, I wonder if they just used the house feed cameras to film that song. While we're at it, The Wreckers should be included as well cause it wasn't played at either show IIRC.

yeah, that would be cool, I was at KC. & yes, they should definitely put in the Wreckers & Camera eye. I love those 2!

I wonder if they'll try squeezing in The Camera Eye from another how somehow since it wasn't played in Toronto

If that's true, I wonder if they just used the house feed cameras to film that song. While we're at it, The Wreckers should be included as well cause it wasn't played at either show IIRC.

yeah, that would be cool, I was at KC. & yes, they should definitely put in the Wreckers & Camera eye. I love those 2!

As I was there both nights, Geddy's voice (without any tinkering) is what you hear in the video. Great magical stuff that 2nd night!

would've loved to have been there! I was at R40 Tulsa, Dallas, KC, LA Edited by gypsy muse

As I was there both nights, Geddy's voice (without any tinkering) is what you hear in the video. Great magical stuff that 2nd night!

would've loved to have been there! I was at R40 Tulsa, Dallas, KC, LA

In KC The Camera Eye was a highlight with those LED balloons that some people released and started bouncing around the arena. It was f****in awesome!