Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Tom Sawyer does nothing for me anymore. I think I was burnt out on the radio playing it even before I became a fan. There was a stretch for a while there when I did enjoy it. But the last four or five times I saw Rush live the song had zero effect on me. I just stood there waiting for it to be finished. Zero f***s given. It's the only hit from them that this happened with.
  • Like 2

Tom Sawyer does nothing for me anymore. I think I was burnt out on the radio playing it even before I became a fan. There was a stretch for a while there when I did enjoy it. But the last four or five times I saw Rush live the song had zero effect on me. I just stood there waiting for it to be finished. Zero f***s given. It's the only hit from them that this happened with.

i semi agree at this point. in that if it comes on i won't shut it off but if i'm listening to MP i sometimes.....most times....start with Red Barchetta, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer is a good bathroom break at shows. Nothing exciting about it anymore

• Like 2

I think you guys are on crack. Not the good kind.

Edited by Digital Dad

What can I tell you? If I can see them do the song live and not feel anything then the song obviously does nothing for me. Tom Sawyer is not the song that made me a fan. It was not a deciding factor in me wanting to explore the band further. I know for a lot of fans it was. It's a good song but if they never recorded it Rush would still be my favorite band.

• Like 1

If my house were on fire, it'd take a while for me to get my bearings before I finally said, "This is not my beautiful house," which'd immediately make me think of Bernie Worrell playing the break notes to the biggest hit on the follow-up to the album I'd just alluded to in my imagination. I'd wonder about the ethics of rescuing records while musing on the fact that the Professor thought he had oh-so outside the box of commercial taste when he was listening to Talking Heads and The Police. Then I'd say to myself, "Wait a minute, ole Neil was just making the point that those bands proved that you didn't have to be formulaic to pack stadiums and sell gazillions of records." The spirit of radio, indeed. Speaking of spirits, I'd think about the ethics of saving Ghost in the Machine and wonder why nobody talks about the fact that Pratt ripped off Dork Byrne's "Crosseyed and Painless" rap for "Roll the Bones", which would no doubt have me asserting to myself that if I owned Roll the Bones I certainly wouldn't be rescuing it over Remain in Light. To finish off this little fantasy, I'd run into the burning house that clearly wasn't mine and say, "How did I get here?" Then I'd steal all your records and donate the duff ones to the first person who approached me and said, "I wish I never... woke up this morning."
  • Like 1

If my house were on fire, it'd take a while for me to get my bearings before I finally said, "This is not my beautiful house," which'd immediately make me think of Bernie Worrell playing the break notes to the biggest hit on the follow-up to the album I'd just alluded to in my imagination. I'd wonder about the ethics of rescuing records while musing on the fact that the Professor thought he had oh-so outside the box of commercial taste when he was listening to Talking Heads and The Police. Then I'd say to myself, "Wait a minute, ole Neil was just making the point that those bands proved that you didn't have to be formulaic to pack stadiums and sell gazillions of records." The spirit of radio, indeed. Speaking of spirits, I'd think about the ethics of saving Ghost in the Machine and wonder why nobody talks about the fact that Pratt ripped off Dork Byrne's "Crosseyed and Painless" rap for "Roll the Bones", which would no doubt have me asserting to myself that if I owned Roll the Bones I certainly wouldn't be rescuing it over Remain in Light. To finish off this little fantasy, I'd run into the burning house that clearly wasn't mine and say, "How did I get here?" Then I'd steal all your records and donate the duff ones to the first person who approached me and said, "I wish I never... woke up this morning."

Um...

What?

What can I tell you? If I can see them do the song live and not feel anything then the song obviously does nothing for me. Tom Sawyer is not the song that made me a fan. It was not a deciding factor in me wanting to explore the band further. I know for a lot of fans it was. It's a good song but if they never recorded it Rush would still be my favorite band.

i knew Tom Sawyer before i got heavy into Rush. Honestly would never have pegged as THE rush tune. i mean it was always a fine tune but it never pumped me up for the band.

that was Spirit of Radio for me.

Mick

• Like 3

i knew Tom Sawyer before i got heavy into Rush. Honestly would never have pegged as THE rush tune. i mean it was always a fine tune but it never pumped me up for the band.

Mick

Limelight for me, but all three are excellent.

Always amazes me how Freewill gets a little overlooked...

• Like 2

Mick

dude that solo in Freewill........fire bitch, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Freewill is the song that made my brother a Rush fan. Radio stations used to play that one a ton and it's one of the top songs that sold me on Rush.

• Like 1

For me Spirit of radio. when i was 9 (same time i was discovering the Beatles BTW) was like the Heavens opening up.

It was......people MADE this. later found out in their 20's. how INSANE is that?

Mick

The certainly couldn't still make that in their 60s haha

lol. making that tune at that age is still crazy to me.

Mick

For me Spirit of radio. when i was 9 (same time i was discovering the Beatles BTW) was like the Heavens opening up.

It was......people MADE this. later found out in their 20's. how INSANE is that?

Mick

The certainly couldn't still make that in their 60s haha

lol. making that tune at that age is still crazy to me.

Mick

In their 60s? Yeah impressive for different reasons. Its hard to tell at what age playing ability peaks? Drums would be younger than say bass or guitar.

Mick

Agreed. The run of albums from Caress through to MP leave me breathless. That might be my favourite unbroken album streak in music history.

Springsteen and Paradise Lost are the rivals for me haha

• Like 1

Mick

Agreed. The run of albums from Caress through to MP leave me breathless. That might be my favourite unbroken album streak in music history.

CoS - MP is hard to top for sure.

However there are bands who I like all of their albums and every song so they take the cake.

Mick

my fav is still Elton from 71 to 75. but Rush is up there.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

my fav is still Elton from 71 to 75. but Rush is up there.

Mick

Husker Du: Zen Arcade-New Day Rising-Flip Your Wig. Three incredible albums in a 15 month span (July 1984-September 1985)
  • Like 1

Mick

I think for me it was a combo of Sprit, Freewill and Subdivisions with a little Fly By Night on the side.

• Like 1

70's Rush is the worst Rush

It iiiis pretty bad, objectively.

How?

I'll confess that I find much of the beloved epic-era sophomoric, pretentious, and overindulgent. It's very self-aware...

hqdefault.jpg

But for this "Sophmoric, pretentious, and overindulgent..beloved epic-era...", you would not be enjoying the best music to ever grace this planet.

No doubt. Only Lee, Lifeson and Peart could make it work. :cheers:
  • Like 1

The tendency for great artists to create their seminal work in their twenties is a common one, in my opinion, at least in the confines of the music business. I suppose it might be that the creative energy of the youthful mind is analogous to their other limbs which afford them physical dexterity, but I suspect that the business itself wears down the energy capable of producing great art. I think "TSoR" and PW in general are exemplary of this, as is much of what they did on the few albums before and after it. One thing for me that is unfortunate is that the song in its entirety doesn't carry the same quality it did when I first heard it. The end is still the best hard rock finish I know of, but I remember when it came out thinking Alex' hammered arpeggio was the most otherworldly thing ever, which lent itself to the sequenced keyboard break being an ultra cool way to bring it back in.

As to unpopular opinions: "New World Man" is the bee's knees. It's a great trilogy of songs featuring a sequenced groove: "The Spirit of Radio", "Vital Signs", "New World Man".

• Like 2