Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Yeah I don't like much 70's Rush eather

I know people will kill me for saying this but...once I discovered bands like Tull, Genesis and Yes...the "proggier" Rush era suddenly sounded...childish.

And I cannot stand Hemispheres.

Childish LOl Cant stand Hemispheres ? Lol

You are truly a phony RUSH fan Nothing you can say will change that

:hi:

Hi SteveSmith! We missed your patented brand of shitting all over the Forum followed by a tearful and moving apology. We really did.

Well, JohnnyBlaze did. He moped and moped. Or maybe he bought a moped, I dunno...

D'you play an instrument, SteveSmith? Just wonderin'.

enjoy your time here;

another phony Rush fan

lol. your right i think it is steve Smith

Mick

Just waiting for another private message but how attractive I am now...sheesh...he scared me lol

I applaud your use of 'sheesh'! :clap:

http://media.giphy.com/media/kpWbVBzcSiO2I/giphy.gif

• Like 2

Neil was mostly a mediocre lyricist after HYF.

Neil's lyrics are usually either incredible or jaw-droppingly terrible. Not much in-between. More of the former than the latter, obviously, but there isn't much middle ground.

Neil's lyrics start being consistently awesome with Power Windows and generally get better throughout their career, culminating on Snakes & Arrows, which is the best collection of Neil Peart lyrics ever assembled. Neil's lyrics prior to Permanent Waves are largely uninspired, boring, and pedantic with few exceptions.

Neil's lyrics are usually either incredible or jaw-droppingly terrible. Not much in-between. More of the former than the latter, obviously, but there isn't much middle ground.

Neil's lyrics start being consistently awesome with Power Windows and generally get better throughout their career, culminating on Snakes & Arrows, which is the best collection of Neil Peart lyrics ever assembled. Neil's lyrics prior to Permanent Waves are largely uninspired, boring, and pedantic with few exceptions.

Should not agree, but kind of do.
  • Like 1

I actually disagree. Some of S&A is really good but a lot of it feels like he's trying to cram too many ideas and big words into a song structure in a way that doesn't work. Like he's writing an essay set to music. Doesn't translate very well.

Most of Counterparts is pretty bad lyrically. "Alien Shore" might be his worst ever.

To wit...

The hypocrites are slandering

The sacred halls of Truth

Ancient nobles showering

Their bitterness on youth

Can't we find

The minds that made us strong

Can't we learn

To feel what's right and wrong

:eyeroll:

• Like 1

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

Yeah, but they're great for to an eleven-year-old! Too bad "The Professor" was already in his mid-twenties. I cut him some slack insofaras he was still an angry young man barely tasting success at that point, so felt he'd been proven right somehow. And it didn't help that his head was firmly planted in Ayn's poop orifice.

Still, the song is great and for me the lyrics serve as phonetic melody on an arrangement they were good at in that era. That said, it'd be easy to roll one's eyes even at their quaint dabbling in the genre. Had they not made it their own, it'd be laughable.

edited to change "great for" to "great to an eleven-year-old". Whatever the shortcomings of the lyric, I would not want to imply they are as juvenile to have written as they are juvenile to enjoy.

Edited by Ged Lent's sis

Presto is an unfairly maligned album in their catalog.

S & A, minus the fantastic instrumentals on the album, isn't aging as well as some of their other albums. I alo, now.

Despite being a classic, and knowing all the lyrics, "Closer to the Heart" has never been a favorite of mine, and I often wish other Rush "ballads" had gotten as popular.

I have always found "Roll the Bones" to be the most droll album in their catalog. Not quite sure what they were going for on that album.

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

Yeah, but they're great for to an eleven-year-old! Too bad "The Professor" was already in his mid-twenties. I cut him some slack insofaras he was still an angry young man barely tasting success at that point, so felt he'd been proven right somehow. And it didn't help that his head was firmly planted in Ayn's poop orifice.

Still, the song is great and for me the lyrics serve as phonetic melody on an arrangement they were good at in that era. That said, it'd be easy to roll one's eyes even at their quaint dabbling in the genre. Had they not made it their own, it'd be laughable.

edited to change "great for" to "great to an eleven-year-old". Whatever the shortcomings of the lyric, I would not want to imply they are as juvenile to have written as they are juvenile to enjoy.

I love those lyrics.

They ring true now more than when they were written..

• Like 2

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

I love those lyrics.

Are you Benjamin Button?

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

I love those lyrics.

Are you Benjamin Button?

Nope

ignatius j reilly

• Like 1

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

What exactly is wrong with those lyrics?

• Like 3

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Could you give us an example of lyrics you don't find sophomoric?

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Dreams flow across the heartland...

Definition of "sophomoric"...

"overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature"

"Hypocrites slandering the sacred halls of truth" strikes me as exactly that.

Peart of at his worst when he's being pedantic, and I much more prefer his more lyrical lyrics. Available Light is an example of those.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Just one line? Quite honestly those lyrics on their own barely make sense.

I will take the so called sophmoric lyrics any day over the polished mid life flailing.

Besides rock is the youth rebeling against old dudes who are running the world. As such it tends to more sophmoric then not imo.

Your mileage may vary...

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

I guess I don't look at lyrics the same way as you. I see nothing wrong with that line. There's a lot of lyrics out there that I guess could be considered sophomoric but to me it's all about how it's presented in the context of the song. If the music accompanying it is good and the singer delivers it well I don't have a problem with it as long as it all fits together right.

• Like 2

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Nice memory...

So you don't find them sophomoric because they're "freshmanic"?

Which would still make them about 8 years more advanced developmentally than those of "Half the World"

• Like 2

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

I guess I don't look at lyrics the same way as you. I see nothing wrong with that line. There's a lot of lyrics out there that I guess could be considered sophomoric but to me it's all about how it's presented in the context of the song. If the music accompanying it is good and the singer delivers it well I don't have a problem with it as long as it all fits together right.

Good point. That is classic geddy in its delivery. Little bit of fury...

• Like 1

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Just one line?

AG hates that line. ;)
  • Like 2

To wit...

Ancient nobles showering

Can't we find

Can't we learn

sophomoric

Just one line?

AG hates that line. ;)

Too funny!

Rush lyric sword fight.

• Like 2