Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

I think the video for Time Stand Still is amazing, one of the best!!

http://youtu.be/dMSFqXGZ5TQ

The epic ridiculousness of Geddy's hair in this video gave rise to my username :LOL:

I still prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trw5Dd8l2Gc

Oh yes, the hair. Here is geddy talking about it (4:25 mark)

I always loved the robes though! BTW has anybody here dined on honey dew or drunk the milk of paradise?

I miss Ged's voice from the 70's but I can understand why some like his 80's voice/approach better. I think neil's lyrics became more interesting in the 80's and beyond but I'm more partial to the their epic songs even though during the 70's his lyric content was not always as well crafted.

Geddy's voice was the thing that I immediately loved about the band - and by this, I mean his 70s voice

Welcome to the forum J335

• Like 1

I think the video for Time Stand Still is amazing, one of the best!!

http://youtu.be/dMSFqXGZ5TQ

The epic ridiculousness of Geddy's hair in this video gave rise to my username :LOL:

I still prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trw5Dd8l2Gc

ohmygod this is awesomely ridiculous!!!

the Neil growl was the icing on an already rich cake.

thanks for the laugh!

I so wish we could get a reaction video of Alex and Geddy watching this. You gotta know they'd both be in hysterics. Neil....maybe an amused grunt. :D

• Like 2

Vapor Trails is a masterpiece, and Earthshine is a better song than Hemispheres.

Glad I missed this thread until now.

Both you and Narps stole my thunder a year ago.

"Test For Echo" lyrically is a disaster.

"Vapor Trails" is a 100% fail record.

More like a masterpiece of shite.

• Like 2

Vapor Trails (original or remix) is the heaviest set of songs since the debut, and contains the most emotional performances since the debut.

Neil loses the tubular bells and ethnic samples and plays the drum kit like he means it, in a very Keith Moon-like way at times. One of my favorite NP performances; all guts, no unnecessary bells and whistles, and played on what sounds like a very basic, bare-bones, drum kit.

There is some great music on this record.

:goodone:

:cheers:

• Like 1

Vapor Trails (original or remix) is the heaviest set of songs since the debut, and contains the most emotional performances since the debut.

Neil loses the tubular bells and ethnic samples and plays the drum kit like he means it, in a very Keith Moon-like way at times. One of my favorite NP performances; all guts, no unnecessary bells and whistles, and played on what sounds like a very basic, bare-bones, drum kit.

Thanks Goose!

• Like 1

Thanks Goose!

Good to see someone else that appreciates the musical and emotional rawness of VT.
  • Like 1

Thanks Goose!

Good to see someone else that appreciates the musical and emotional rawness of VT.

Count me in on this exchange. I wouldn't call Vapour Trails my FAVOURITE Rush album, but it might very well be the one that is closest to my heart.

• Like 3

Thanks Goose!

Count me in on this exchange. I wouldn't call Vapour Trails my FAVOURITE Rush album, but it might very well be the one that is closest to my heart.

I agree. The gravity of all that happened came out on that "album" Edited by jacobes335
  • Like 1

I didn't care for the R40 setlist (the first half). They absolutly shouldve done at least one song from every album, no skipping. I'm still annoyed well over a year later that they totally ignored four albums, three of them in a row. My changes wouldve been less newer songs from CA and Snakes and one or two less from Moving Pictures/Signals to make room for The Big Money alternating with/Marathon, Force Ten alternating with Turn The Page or Mission, Show Don't Tell alternating with The Pass or Neil's pre-tour wish of performing Hand Over Fist live. TFE couldve been Driven or the title song or Half The World. Edited by jnoble

I like this thread...

...so...

I know many will disagree, but I find that seventies Rush hit me hard, got me excited...but ultimately wore off me.

The albums I initially disliked were Signals through to SA. For the most part...those are now MY Rush albums.

My top ten:

1. Hold Your Fire

2. Roll The Bones

3. Vapor Trails

4. Grace Under Pressure

5. Presto

6. Moving Pictures

7. Permanent Waves

8. Power Windows

9. A Farewell To Kings

10. Snakes And Arrows

And the rest?

Aside from a handful of songs...meh...

• Like 1

i've giving Rush a lot of replay recently.

my top 10

1. HYF

2. Permanent Waves

3. Signals

4. Caress of Steel

5. Presto

6. Hemispheres

7. Power Windows

8. Moving Pictures

9. Snakes and Arrows

10. Counterparts.

and because i like being an asshole bottom 5

1. Vapor Trails

2.A Farewell to Kings

3. Grace under Pressure

4. Roll the Bones

5. Clockwork Angels

Mick

• Like 4

Neil was mostly a mediocre lyricist after HYF.

Neil's always been hit and miss, IMO, sometimes hitting the mark, but often overly pedantic or just plain sophomoric.
  • Like 1

Neil was mostly a mediocre lyricist after HYF.

Neil's always been hit and miss, IMO, sometimes hitting the mark, but often overly pedantic or just plain sophomoric.

Tbh...I find it amazing that I love Rush as much as I do considering I rarely connect to the lyrics. To me the words are just a theme to add to the far more splendid music. But I never sit and read Rush lyrics like poetry the way I do, say, Springsteen or The Beatles.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't like much 70's Rush eather

I know people will kill me for saying this but...once I discovered bands like Tull, Genesis and Yes...the "proggier" Rush era suddenly sounded...childish.

And I cannot stand Hemispheres.

• Like 1

When they sing the praises of Bruce Springsteen

Or that Neil was passé from the go

Will we view their taste as madness

Or as views that we can't know?

• Like 1

Yeah I don't like much 70's Rush eather

I know people will kill me for saying this but...once I discovered bands like Tull, Genesis and Yes...the "proggier" Rush era suddenly sounded...childish.

And I cannot stand Hemispheres.

Well thats truly sad.

Perhaps in the future when your testicles descend you will think otherwise....

• Like 1