Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Geddy Lee's voice was at it's peak in the '70s.

Time Stand Still is a terrible song, an absolute cheesefest.

Post yours below!

JUST TOO FUNNY

I just sat down to the PC & put my Rush collection on "Random" play & entered the internet

Went to bookmarks & thought , I haven't been to the Rush site in a few days....lets go.....

I started at top (RUSH) & 1st thread I enter say's TIME STANDS STILL sucks !

Just Guess what RUSH song was my 1st random played & playing song, You Got It , Time Stands Still. Too funny indeed

BTW, Time Stands Still is in my top 50% ( doesn't suck )

• Like 2

Post yours below!

JUST TOO FUNNY

I just sat down to the PC & put my Rush collection on "Random" play & entered the internet

Went to bookmarks & thought , I haven't been to the Rush site in a few days....lets go.....

Just Guess what RUSH song was my 1st random played & playing song, You Got It , Time Stands Still. Too funny indeed

Just goes to show that time really does stand still.

Alex wears a hair piece over his dome and his bangs are transplants.

Niek's dashiki cap is a frugal alternative hair loss concealment measure.

Not quite as frugal as one'd assume. Like Michael Jordan w/ his shoes, Niek sported a spanking new cap for every show, and they cost no small fortune at the GAP.

This should've been a song released by Rush. Contains singing by Geddy's keyboard tech Jack Secret, and of course the guys. Skip plays bass. OK, it's pretty bad, but there's some interesting progressions here.

Pretty sure few people really know about the two tracks they did with Jack. Though I'm sure eaglemoon will claim to have this on vinyl.

I'm here to help educate ya'll--TM

In the Signals tour book, Neil talks about some down time the band had while it was mixing its live album Exit . . . Stage Left. “There was really not much for us to do except say “it sounds good” or “it doesn’t sound good.” The result of that inactivity was “Tough Break,” a piece that Neil helped Tony Geranios (Jack Secret) and Skip Gildersleeve put together. Geranios was the band’s guitar and keyboard tech, and Gildersleeve was its stage left technician. Geddy and Alex jumped in on keyboards and rhythm guitar. Jack Secret was the frontman. Neil doesn’t say what Skip Gildersleeve’s part in all of it was. Maybe bass. (Update: In sad news, Skip passed away in Sept. 2013.)

They called themselves the Fab Pros and the piece is about a roadie who learns his wife is fooling around while he’s on tour. He says he was ready to play the family man when he got back home, but his wife can forget that now! He then laments, “Every woman that I’ve ever known / Has been the same.”

The piece appears as a bonus track on a bootleg CD of the band’s show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on April 16, 1986. In 2008, two blogs, Counterparts and Rush is a Band, linked to the piece and talked about its origins.

Lyrics:

Girl, I heard some people talking

On the road the other day

It was some of the boys from the other band

And they were saying your name

I just stood there listening

Growing angry, feeling wronged

I couldn’t believe that you would deceive me

Could I be that wrong?

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Every woman that I’ve ever known

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Your boys know of my life on the road

Something I had to do with the band

And when I was through I would be home with you

Playing the family man

But now things are different

Girl, what was your plan?

Why you lied to me when you could have been free

This I don’t understand

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Causing me pain

Causing me pain

Been the same, yeah

By the Fab Pros

Vocals: Tony Geranios (Jack Secret)

Bass: Skip Gildersleeve [?]

Rhythm guitar: Alex Lifeson

Keyboards: Geddy Lee

Drums: Neil Peart

Recording: Le Studio, Moran Heights, Quebec, 1981

Zumbi says he has all three versions of the picture discs they released for the EP with these two songs.

Hey, wheres Zumbi anyway?

• Like 1

Available Light is the worst Rush song ever.

In your humble opinion.

In my overblown and pompous opinion, it is one of the five most beautiful songs the band ever wrote.

• Like 1

In your humble opinion.

In my overblown and pompous opinion, it is one of the five most beautiful songs the band ever wrote.

And my opinion is neither humble nor pompous, but somewhere in the middle...or perhaps just a muddle. :LOL:

But Available Light is a great, great song.

Now...You Bet Your Life? Now there is a clunker.

• Like 2

Post yours below!

JUST TOO FUNNY

Time Stand Still is a great song.
  • Like 2

In your humble opinion.

And my opinion is neither humble nor pompous, but somewhere in the middle...or perhaps just a muddle. :LOL:

But Available Light is a great, great song.

Now...You Bet Your Life? Now there is a clunker.

Some days You Bet Your Life sounds like a good song. But I think it's because I know its the last one!

Don't get me wrong, Dreamlike, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Ghost Of A Chance and The Big Wheel are songs I love! But altogether with the rest? Too much for me...Roll The Bones has a lot to recommend it, bit one song at a time.

YBYL is terrible. Occasionally I don't hate it.

Haha...you are occasionally more charitable than I am, then.

It is a bad song on an otherwise good album.

Hey, here's an unpopular opinion, right here: Roll the Bones is, in point of fact (oops, I guess I can't say that- in point of my opinion, then), a good album. With You Bet Your Life included, I give it a 7 out of 10. But without it? 8/10.

Nine songs, 43 minutes would have been better than its 10 songs, and 48 minutes.

• Like 1

Haha...you are occasionally more charitable than I am, then.

It is a bad song on an otherwise good album.

Hey, here's an unpopular opinion, right here: Roll the Bones is, in point of fact (oops, I guess I can't say that- in point of my opinion, then), a good album. With You Bet Your Life included, I give it a 7 out of 10. But without it? 8/10.

Nine songs, 43 minutes would have been better than its 10 songs, and 48 minutes.

It's a seven from me!

Aside from Face Up, Neurotica (which is actually a passable Rush tune) and You Barfed Up Loser, I enjoy every single track!

Hold Your Fire is Rush's greatest album.

Deepest as well.

• Like 2

Deepest as well.

I agree........best thing they've ever made.

So good.

Upset they didn't do prime Mover more live in their Career. that song is so neglected.

Mick

• Like 1

Deepest as well.

I agree........best thing they've ever made.

So good.

Upset they didn't do prime Mover more live in their Career. that song is so neglected.

Mick

I love it, but it is my least favourite on the album. No reason other than I love the other nine more!

Lock And Key is just PERFECTION.

Not a track on HYF that I have an issue with.

• Like 1

I feel that way about every song on the album!

Yeah...I was gonna do a track by track but chose not too.

Somehow, I always forget about Lock And Key. So when it p!ays I am like OH MY I LOVE THIIIIIS!

Turn The Page is a gorgeous track as well. I sort of get why it would have been a great closer.

But hey! I love Tai Shan and High Water just where they are.

Tai Shan is starting!

• Like 1

Somehow, I always forget about Lock And Key. So when it p!ays I am like OH MY I LOVE THIIIIIS!

Turn The Page is a gorgeous track as well. I sort of get why it would have been a great closer.

Tai Shan is starting!

I have a perfect soundboard recording of one of the shows from which A Show of Hands was culled, and it has Lock and Key on it. And not that it's radically different from the studio version at all...but I still really enjoy having a great live recording of it.

Turn the Page is also fantastic!

And Tai Shan and High Water are a great coda to the whole album; I don't care what anyone else has to say about that.

• Like 1

Tai Shan is starting!

I have a perfect soundboard recording of one of the shows from which A Show of Hands was culled, and it has Lock and Key on it. And not that it's radically different from the studio version at all...but I still really enjoy having a great live recording of it.

And Tai Shan and High Water are a great coda to the whole album; I don't care what anyone else has to say about that.

I would love to hear more of these songs live!

Playing Power Windows now.

It's not really doing anything for me, to be honest.

Grand Designs and Marathon... About it really.

• Like 1

Tai Shan is starting!

Dude I weep for your species. Power Windows is a watershed moment in their history. Manhattan Project does nothing for you? I need to help you become a man. So I hereby invite you on a date with these chicks. Come to America and experience life:

Tai Shan is starting!

Dude I weep for your species. Power Windows is a watershed moment in their history. Manhattan Project does nothing for you? I need to help you become a man. So I hereby invite you on a date with these chicks. Come to America and experience life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5j5axZzcH0

next time you see my daughter like this tell her to get her azz back in the house.

Those chicks aren't real bowfishers...they have all their teeth.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

Tai Shan is starting!

next time you see my daughter like this tell her to get her azz back in the house.

They represent all that is holy and good about the US of A

Tai Shan is starting!

They represent all that is holy and good about the US of A

I try to stay away from women who can handle a bow...they think it's funny when they shoot my beer can while I'm still holding it.