Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Test For Echo is a more fully realized album than any of the following...

Caress of Steel

Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Counterparts and...du duh da daaaaaaa...

Rush

That is just CRAZY talk!

I fully respect your crazy opinion, though.

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Rush

yea they "Fully Realized" it sucks

Lol

Kidding dude......that's cool.

Mick

• Like 3

Caress of Steel

Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Rush

Lol

Mick

Mick, my man! :P

(That did crack me up).

Test For Echo is the only Rush album that I just don't like.

• Like 2

Caress of Steel

Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Rush

Lol

Mick

(That did crack me up).

i like 1 song........Resist.

Mick

Only half of the Fountain's parts are good. Didacts and Narpets, No One at the Bridge, and Bacchus Plateau.

Anyone have a .cue sheet on where to divide the tracks on this song so I know where each bit starts? If Bacchus Palteu is the "Cask of 42" bit then I hate that section of the song. It starts ok, get kinda cool during the middle mellow Geddy vocals (Panacea) and ends pretty good but most of the middle bits sink the song for me.

It just so happens that I have divided both TN and TFoL. The latter was way easier in that there is a distinctive silence between sections, whereas The Necromancer fades and blends all the way through.

Here's the entire track list & lengths:

Bastille Day - 4:41

I Think I'm Going Bald - 3:41

Lakeside Park - 4:11

The Necromancer - I. Into the Darkness - 4:12

The Necromancer - II. Under the Shadow - 4:27

The Necromancer - III. Return of the Prince - 3:55

The Fountain of Lamneth - 4:18

The Fountain of Lamneth - 1:01

The Fountain of Lamneth - 4:19

The Fountain of Lamneth - 3:17

The Fountain of Lamneth - 3:15

The Fountain of Lamneth - 3:50

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Rush

Lol

Mick

(That did crack me up).

i like 1 song........Resist.

Mick

I will resist

Temptation...

To kick yer arrrsseeee!!

;)

Thats why this is unpopular opinions forum.

I expected to get reamed!!! ;)

Otoh. One day you will love SC and Test and you will be like,...f***er was RIGHT!!!

;)

• Like 1

Lyrics aside, I Think I'm Going Bald is a pretty good song.

In fact, all of Caress of Steel is great, especially the Necromancer. The only part I don't like is the Diadects and Narpets section of the Fountain.

The transition from pre-chorus to chorus for Witch Hunt is literally a musical orgasm.

I don't agree with the rest of your post but I strongly agree with this.

Witch Hunt has great lyrics and a powerful chorus. I love the transition from the bitter sounding distorted guitar to bitter sweet synths. I think it's a great example of musical/lyrical synergy; the lyrics make the music more powerful and vice versa.

• Like 2

An unpopular Rush opinion? I have several.

-I think the debut album is awesome.

-I think "Wreckers" and "Wish Them Well" are two of the strongest tracks on CW.

-I don't think any of the stuff Rush put out after MP was quite as special as the stuff before. The last Rush songs that actually gave me goosebumps the first time I heard them were on PeW and MP. Then again no song has given me goosebumps since then; maybe you have to be a certain age to have that physical reaction to a song who knows.

• Like 2

When we are young

Wandering the face of the Earth

Wondering what our dreams might be worth

Learning that we're only immortal

For a limited time

Great lyrics, vibe destroyer. It kills the momentum of an otherwise good song.

Thanks Rupert

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

An unpopular Rush opinion? I have several.

-I think the debut album is awesome.

-I think "Wreckers" and "Wish Them Well" are two of the strongest tracks on CW.

-I don't think any of the stuff Rush put out after MP was quite as special as the stuff before. The last Rush songs that actually gave me goosebumps the first time I heard them were on PeW and MP. Then again no song has given me goosebumps since then; maybe you have to be a certain age to have that physical reaction to a song who knows.

I don't think it's a question of age.

Odd that no song moved you after Moving Pictures, since on the very next album Geddy actually sings "You Move Me, You Move Me...", yet you are not touched by it.

• Like 2

Odd that no song moved you after Moving Pictures, since on the very next album Geddy actually sings "You Move Me, You Move Me...", yet you are not touched by it.

I appreciate the humor here but just to be clear, I'm not saying no songs after MP move me (many do, including Analog Kid;)); I'm just saying I think they had a certain special quality prior to MP that is absent thereafter.

I'm not saying I don't like the stuff thereafter.

• Like 1

I appreciate the humor here but just to be clear, I'm not saying no songs after MP move me (many do, including Analog Kid;)); I'm just saying I think they had a certain special quality prior to MP that is absent thereafter.

Terry Brown probably used the same equipment for much of their recording career. There was a symmetry in their sound that is undeniable with him. I'm praying that Nick produces their last album
  • Like 1

Terry Brown probably used the same equipment for much of their recording career. There was a symmetry in their sound that is undeniable with him. I'm praying that Nick produces their last album

He did, didn't he?
  • Like 2

He did, didn't he?

They got one more in 'em bro. But technically you're correct Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

He did, didn't he?

They got one more in 'em bro. But technically you're correct

You think so? Peart seems done...disinterested.
  • Like 1

He did, didn't he?

They got one more in 'em bro. But technically you're correct

You think so? Peart seems done...disinterested.

All a marketing ploy...just like the rest of their supposed issues.

I have to confess I really have no idea whether they will put out another album or tour again in some way.

I think a new album is far more likely than another tour. But I do not expect either and think both unlikely.

However, I really couldn't say I'd be shocked if they did either or both. I would be very pleasantly surprised by either however.

It would be an extra dessert in my opinion after an already fully satisfactory meal.

I'd love to see it but don't expect it.

I enjoyed the last tour more than any previous, and was lucky enough to see two shows (my only gripe is that both were set A). Periscope made it a new experience and so much fun whether you were there or not.

I'm thoroughly grateful to the boys for what they've given us and so far as I'm concerned, as much as I'd love to see more, if there isn't any more they've already given us way more than enough.

The fact that it's still a possibility, however slim, that in 2016, 40 years after 2112, that there may be any more is itself so incredibly awesome whether there is any more or not.

I am so grateful for what they've given us.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

I have to confess I really have no idea whether they will put out another album or tour again in some way.

I think a new album is far more likely than another tour. But I do not expect either and think both unlikely.

However, I really couldn't say I'd be shocked if they did either or both. I would be very pleasantly surprised by either however.

It would be an extra dessert in my opinion after an already fully satisfactory meal.

I enjoyed the last tour more than any previous, and was lucky enough to see two shows (my only gripe is that both were set A). Periscope made it a new experience and so much fun whether you were there or not.

I'm thoroughly grateful to the boys for what they've given us and so far as I'm concerned, as much as I'd love to see more, if there isn't any more they've already given us way more than enough.

The fact that it's still a possibility, however slim, that in 2016, 40 years after 2112, that there may be any more is itself so incredibly awesome whether there is any more or not.

They will make another album. It's in the cards
  • Like 2

Alex wears a hair piece over his dome and his bangs are transplants.

Niek's dashiki cap is a frugal alternative hair loss concealment measure.

Edited by rftag

This should've been a song released by Rush. Contains singing by Geddy's keyboard tech Jack Secret, and of course the guys. Skip plays bass. OK, it's pretty bad, but there's some interesting progressions here.

Pretty sure few people really know about the two tracks they did with Jack. Though I'm sure eaglemoon will claim to have this on vinyl.

I'm here to help educate ya'll--TM

In the Signals tour book, Neil talks about some down time the band had while it was mixing its live album Exit . . . Stage Left. “There was really not much for us to do except say “it sounds good” or “it doesn’t sound good.” The result of that inactivity was “Tough Break,” a piece that Neil helped Tony Geranios (Jack Secret) and Skip Gildersleeve put together. Geranios was the band’s guitar and keyboard tech, and Gildersleeve was its stage left technician. Geddy and Alex jumped in on keyboards and rhythm guitar. Jack Secret was the frontman. Neil doesn’t say what Skip Gildersleeve’s part in all of it was. Maybe bass. (Update: In sad news, Skip passed away in Sept. 2013.)

They called themselves the Fab Pros and the piece is about a roadie who learns his wife is fooling around while he’s on tour. He says he was ready to play the family man when he got back home, but his wife can forget that now! He then laments, “Every woman that I’ve ever known / Has been the same.”

The piece appears as a bonus track on a bootleg CD of the band’s show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on April 16, 1986. In 2008, two blogs, Counterparts and Rush is a Band, linked to the piece and talked about its origins.

Lyrics:

Girl, I heard some people talking

On the road the other day

It was some of the boys from the other band

And they were saying your name

I just stood there listening

Growing angry, feeling wronged

I couldn’t believe that you would deceive me

Could I be that wrong?

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Every woman that I’ve ever known

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Your boys know of my life on the road

Something I had to do with the band

And when I was through I would be home with you

Playing the family man

But now things are different

Girl, what was your plan?

Why you lied to me when you could have been free

This I don’t understand

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Am I a fool?

Playing your game

Has been the same

Has been the same

Been the same, yeah

Causing me pain

Causing me pain

Been the same, yeah

By the Fab Pros

Vocals: Tony Geranios (Jack Secret)

Bass: Skip Gildersleeve [?]

Rhythm guitar: Alex Lifeson

Keyboards: Geddy Lee

Drums: Neil Peart

Recording: Le Studio, Moran Heights, Quebec, 1981

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

They will make another album. It's in the cards

That was Vapor Trails.
  • Like 1