Is Clockwork Angels Any Good?

Fridge

It is annoying to continue to talk about bad mixes on Rush albums. I agree with everyone about the overall brick layered sound on CA. Everyone had the same conversation about Vapor Trails, RTB, Presto, and Hold Your Fire. What is REALLY annoying is that the only 2 Rush albums after Power Windows that sound crisp are Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows, which also happen to be two of the worst Rush albums of all-time in terms of song quality. It's a if when they make a great album, they decide to flush the mixing down the toilet, but when the song quality sucks they decide to really nail the mixing.

What's REALLY REALLY annoying is that 3 gifted, talented, musical geniuses seem to be on a completely different planet from their listeners as to what a well mixed, crisp sounding album should sound like.

Geddy: We have some really kick ass stuff here Alex, how should we approach the mastering?

Alex: I don't know, but as long as it doesn't sound like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves I'm good

Geddy: Yeah, those albums are just painful to listen to. I was listening to Hold Your Fire the other day and really love how distant and muddled it sounds. Let;s approach Clockwork the same way.

Alex: Sounds good Ged. Have you listened to St. Anger by Mettalica? Really like their approach on that one.

Geddy: Spot on Big Al

Neil: Good Luck guys. I'm outta here.

If you're so annoyed, why are you still reading the forum? ;)

He loves Rush, just isn't a fanboy.

Like us!

• Like 1

the Garden is overblown bad cheese.

Mick

I agree. Not smelly cheese, but cheese just the same. It's one of those songs that sounds like it's been done a million times before. Very predictable, which to me seems very un-Rush.

i raved about it at first. but the more i thought about it. Bad song for Rush. and if that's the last album. not a song a band like Rush needs to go out on.

Mick

I did as well, but this style of song has been done better. By both Rush and many other bands. If it wasn't a Rush song, I doubt anyone would care.

Actually, that goes for the whole of CA.

Bingo. Who outside of Rush fans knows CA

Blip on the radar really.

Mick

Please don't incite the crowds...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

It is annoying to continue to talk about bad mixes on Rush albums. I agree with everyone about the overall brick layered sound on CA. Everyone had the same conversation about Vapor Trails, RTB, Presto, and Hold Your Fire. What is REALLY annoying is that the only 2 Rush albums after Power Windows that sound crisp are Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows, which also happen to be two of the worst Rush albums of all-time in terms of song quality. It's a if when they make a great album, they decide to flush the mixing down the toilet, but when the song quality sucks they decide to really nail the mixing.

What's REALLY REALLY annoying is that 3 gifted, talented, musical geniuses seem to be on a completely different planet from their listeners as to what a well mixed, crisp sounding album should sound like.

Geddy: We have some really kick ass stuff here Alex, how should we approach the mastering?

Alex: I don't know, but as long as it doesn't sound like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves I'm good

Geddy: Yeah, those albums are just painful to listen to. I was listening to Hold Your Fire the other day and really love how distant and muddled it sounds. Let;s approach Clockwork the same way.

Alex: Sounds good Ged. Have you listened to St. Anger by Mettalica? Really like their approach on that one.

Good point. Anyone who voices an opinion that is not positive should be banned immediately :smash:

• Like 1

Like us!

I think being a fanboy is someone who accepts and loves music an artist puts out no matter how crappy it is.

• Like 3

Like us!

I think being a fanboy is someone who accepts and loves music an artist puts out no matter how crappy it is.

then i do not qualify.....thank god.

lol.

Mick

• Like 2

Good point. Anyone who voices an opinion that is not positive should be banned immediately :smash:

Then that would be 99% of the forum. :LOL:

• Like 4

Like us!

lol.

Mick

I don't fanboy over anyone, I don't think. All the bands I rave about that drive people insanely mad with love for me, have bits and pieces I am vocally not afraid to bash with a boulder.

So much mental masturbation... :eyeroll:

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

But don't waste your time continuing to find so many different ways to say the same thing. Am I right?

I don't know...maybe I'm not. :huh:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Like us!

lol.

Mick

I don't fanboy over anyone, I don't think. All the bands I rave about that drive people insanely mad with love for me, have bits and pieces I am vocally not afraid to bash with a boulder.

I see it in other fandoms too. People who will buy any piece of merchandise that comes out, who rave endlessly over everything that "artist" releases. It's kind of sickening at times.

• Like 1

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

But don't waste your time continuing to find so many different ways to say the same thing.

But...why wear one colour when you can wear them all?

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/468951079-ugly-sisters-07-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=00%2BxX0NCxRbflTT0Sg%2FJDTSSdoNfk%2BgPX0YCXElXIi05wefxmQvSQrHAo7AzJ0%2Bb

• Like 1

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

But don't waste your time continuing to find so many different ways to say the same thing.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/468951079-ugly-sisters-07-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=00%2BxX0NCxRbflTT0Sg%2FJDTSSdoNfk%2BgPX0YCXElXIi05wefxmQvSQrHAo7AzJ0%2Bb

I do wear them all! :P

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

Hence my uploading one of your finest portraits!

• Like 2

The CLOSET I come is tom Waits.

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

Sorta gross that mixup of words dude...but I ain't surprised!

• Like 2

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

ROFL!

• Like 1

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

and your dirty for thinking it.

i'm APPALLED.

Not really.......tehee.

Mick

Not normal for me to think like that but oopsies...I am still a boy!

• Like 1

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

i'm APPALLED.

Not really.......tehee.

Mick

I'm so used to seeing misspelled words on the internet I almost didn't catch it.

• Like 2

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

i'm APPALLED.

Not really.......tehee.

Mick

I'm so used to seeing misspelled words on the internet I almost didn't catch it.

It was the emphasis on CLOSET! I thought it was intended!

I had to read like three times before I realised he meant CLOSEST and by then I was both surprised at my rude mind and dying on the floor laughing!

• Like 2

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

i'm APPALLED.

Not really.......tehee.

Mick

I had to read like three times before I realised he meant CLOSEST and by then I was both surprised at my rude mind and dying on the floor laughing!

i noticed it to to be fair......but i'm lazy, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Fanboi-ing i mean.

Mick

i'm APPALLED.

Not really.......tehee.

Mick

i noticed it to to be fair......but i'm lazy, lol

Mick

Takes a lot of effort to hit that backspace key. ;)

• Like 3

To respond to the original question...YES! It's a great album... IMHO, not quite as good as Snakes & Arrows (for the later Rush stuff that's actually decent)

But I think it's a really good album, and I enjoy listening to it a LOT more than some of the late 80's early 90's albums!

I think they came across rather well live...and really just wished that they would have done the WHOLE album on it's tour instead of skipping a few tunes.

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

In my defense...I have lost some weight since then, at least.

• Like 1

If you dig it? Good.

If you don't? Good.

In my defense...I have lost some weight since then, at least.

I had noticed that you skipped lunch today!