Is Clockwork Angels Any Good?

Fridge

CA is honestly one of the weakest batch of songs they've put out. Aside from 3 songs

it's Clockwork Filler.

Mick

Three songs?

I think Headlong Flight, Caravan and Clockwork Angels are great.

Seven Cities, The Wreckers, BU2B and Wish Them Well are good to very good.

The rest I can honestly live without. The Garden used to be my favourite, but over time, once I heard the best and the rest of this band, it felt very poor in quality to the likes of the deeper cuts on HYF, PoW or even Counterparts.

• Like 1

CA is honestly one of the weakest batch of songs they've put out. Aside from 3 songs

it's Clockwork Filler.

Mick

Three songs?

The rest I can honestly live without. The Garden used to be my favourite, but over time, once I heard the best and the rest of this band, it felt very poor in quality to the likes of the deeper cuts on HYF, PoW or even Counterparts.

For me it's Headlong Flight, CA, The Anarchist

the rest is filler to my ears.

Mick

• Like 1

it's Clockwork Filler.

Mick

Three songs?

For me it's Headlong Flight, CA, The Anarchist

the rest is filler to my ears.

Mick

I think on the whole this album is better than Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, Fly By Night, Signals and possibly on par with Counterparts (the best songs on CP are better than CA). I think it is the most overrated Rush album outside of Hemispheres.

• Like 1

it's Clockwork Filler.

Mick

Three songs?

I think Headlong Flight, Caravan and Clockwork Angels are good.

Seven Cities, The Wreckers, BU2B and Wish Them Well are lousy.

The rest I can honestly live without except The Garden and Halo Effect as they are great.

Agreed...
  • Like 1

it's Clockwork Filler.

Mick

Three songs?

I think Headlong Flight, Caravan and Clockwork Angels are good.

Seven Cities, The Wreckers, BU2B and Wish Them Well are lousy.

The rest I can honestly live without except The Garden and Halo Effect as they are great.

Agreed...

I don't like Halo Effect or The Garden! They have written many better adult songs (lyrically, I deeply appreciate both, I just find the songs fall flat)

• Like 1

the Garden is overblown bad cheese.

Mick

I agree. Not smelly cheese, but cheese just the same. It's one of those songs that sounds like it's been done a million times before. Very predictable, which to me seems very un-Rush.

• Like 2

Mick

I agree. Not smelly cheese, but cheese just the same. It's one of those songs that sounds like it's been done a million times before. Very predictable, which to me seems very un-Rush.

i raved about it at first. but the more i thought about it. Bad song for Rush. and if that's the last album. not a song a band like Rush needs to go out on.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mick

i raved about it at first. but the more i thought about it. Bad song for Rush. and if that's the last album. not a song a band like Rush needs to go out on.

Mick

I did as well, but this style of song has been done better. By both Rush and many other bands. If it wasn't a Rush song, I doubt anyone would care.

Actually, that goes for the whole of CA.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I did as well, but this style of song has been done better. By both Rush and many other bands. If it wasn't a Rush song, I doubt anyone would care.

Bingo. Who outside of Rush fans knows CA

Blip on the radar really.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Mick

Please don't incite the crowds...

Unless you have more meme's up your sleeve lol!

Mick

Mick

I would still love Clockwork Angels regardless of who released it.

Mick

Mick

That's nice!

Mick

Mick

Mick

Who outside of Rush fans know anything about any Rush song recorded after the mid 80's?

• Like 3

Mick

Mick

New fans tend to like it until they really get into the older material.

• Like 2

If The Garden was a Toto ballad. you'd all assassinate it and you know it, lol

Mick

Actually I wouldn't, I have nothing against Toto. Heck if Justin Bieber released it I'd be happy that he was finally releasing good music.

Mick

Mick

New fans tend to like it until they really get into the older material.

Hemispheres is my 2nd favorite. I adore all the albums up to and including Moving Pictures more than any other era really. Clockwork Angels is still my favorite.

If The Garden was a Toto ballad. you'd all assassinate it and you know it, lol

Mick

It would be the bands worst ballad. Seriously.

• Like 2

It is annoying to continue to talk about bad mixes on Rush albums. I agree with everyone about the overall brick layered sound on CA. Everyone had the same conversation about Vapor Trails, RTB, Presto, and Hold Your Fire. What is REALLY annoying is that the only 2 Rush albums after Power Windows that sound crisp are Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows, which also happen to be two of the worst Rush albums of all-time in terms of song quality. It's a if when they make a great album, they decide to flush the mixing down the toilet, but when the song quality sucks they decide to really nail the mixing.

What's REALLY REALLY annoying is that 3 gifted, talented, musical geniuses seem to be on a completely different planet from their listeners as to what a well mixed, crisp sounding album should sound like.

Geddy: We have some really kick ass stuff here Alex, how should we approach the mastering?

Alex: I don't know, but as long as it doesn't sound like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves I'm good

Geddy: Yeah, those albums are just painful to listen to. I was listening to Hold Your Fire the other day and really love how distant and muddled it sounds. Let;s approach Clockwork the same way.

Alex: Sounds good Ged. Have you listened to St. Anger by Mettalica? Really like their approach on that one.

Geddy: Spot on Big Al

Neil: Good Luck guys. I'm outta here.

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 1

So it looks like that re-revived other thread has been buried by this hot topic.

At first the most popular opinion was that the songs were great but the production blew. :smash: :banghead:

Then a couple people came along and said that, actually, the reverse was the case, or that the production was irrelevant and it didn't matter as the majority of the songs were no good.

I hafta maintain that I have not been able to listen long enough to make a proper judgement. When all of their albums from PeW to HYF were released, my experience followed the pattern that I had to listen several times before I realized their greatness. The sound on CA does not allow me that freedom. It hurts too much. And it's not like my ears are wimps. I'll take this opportunity to embed this, because I'll never get sick of it, and if CA gave me that same chance, I'd bother rating more than just the sound:

• Like 1

It is annoying to continue to talk about bad mixes on Rush albums. I agree with everyone about the overall brick layered sound on CA. Everyone had the same conversation about Vapor Trails, RTB, Presto, and Hold Your Fire. What is REALLY annoying is that the only 2 Rush albums after Power Windows that sound crisp are Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows, which also happen to be two of the worst Rush albums of all-time in terms of song quality. It's a if when they make a great album, they decide to flush the mixing down the toilet, but when the song quality sucks they decide to really nail the mixing.

What's REALLY REALLY annoying is that 3 gifted, talented, musical geniuses seem to be on a completely different planet from their listeners as to what a well mixed, crisp sounding album should sound like.

Geddy: We have some really kick ass stuff here Alex, how should we approach the mastering?

Alex: I don't know, but as long as it doesn't sound like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves I'm good

Geddy: Yeah, those albums are just painful to listen to. I was listening to Hold Your Fire the other day and really love how distant and muddled it sounds. Let;s approach Clockwork the same way.

Alex: Sounds good Ged. Have you listened to St. Anger by Mettalica? Really like their approach on that one.

Geddy: Spot on Big Al

Neil: Good Luck guys. I'm outta here.

If you're so annoyed, why are you still reading the forum? ;)

• Like 2