Is Clockwork Angels Any Good?

Fridge

I think I've seen the same 3-4 people complain about people praising CA than the actual praising of the album

Understandable. CA suffers from the Presto Production Phenomenon (or PPP) but for different reasons.

• Like 1

I think I've seen the same 3-4 people complain about people praising CA than the actual praising of the album

Understandable. CA suffers from the Presto Production Phenomenon (or PPP) but for different reasons.

I'd take presto Production over CA production. Presto could have more kick but to me weak is really RTB.

That's ball-less

Mick

I have to do something between best 500 albums posts... ;)
  • Like 2

I'd take presto Production over CA production. Presto could have more kick but to me weak is really RTB.

That's ball-less

Mick

Presto beats it all day production wise. At least I can hear all of the instruments as individuals and the vocals too. That is just about all I ask for...
  • Like 2

I'll admit that Clockwork Angels has some harsh production, however I would take it over Presto any day. Plus, I feel the songs them selves are more interesting than those on Presto. I would say to the OP that it's definitely worth a listen.

Me and Mick, easy targets, yes...

But this prey BITES YOU BACK!

(on the bum)

I can't believe Segue and I bombed another thread. As evidenced by the downturn in participation here.

Nobody can clear a room like us.

MAGIC!!!!!!!

Mick

http://i0.wp.com/www.hamiltontroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ht2ss.jpg?resize=320%2C450 Edited by goose
  • Like 3

That's ball-less

Mick

Presto beats it all day production wise. At least I can hear all of the instruments as individuals and the vocals too. That is just about all I ask for...

You can hear them on Presto but there's no bottom end. It sounds like something that would come out of a transistor radio. CA on the other hand, sounds harsh. There's no space in the music. It sounds flat and recorded way too loudly on the verge of clipping. There's good distortion and bad distortion, and it's got some bad distortion.

RTB's on the other hand, has some pretty tinny sounding drums and not much bottom end as well. Guess I should have included it too.

Edited by EagleMoon

That's ball-less

Mick

You can hear them on Presto but there's no bottom end. It sounds like something that would come out of a transistor radio. CA on the other hand, sounds harsh. There's no space in the music. It sounds flat and recorded way too loudly on the verge of clipping. There's good distortion and bad distortion, and it's got some bad distortion.

RTB's on the other hand, has some pretty tinny sounding drums and not much bottom end as well. Guess I should have included it too.

I get it but I prefer the Presto lousy production if that makes sense or at least my ears do anyway... :)
  • Like 1

That's ball-less

Mick

I get it but I prefer the Presto lousy production if that makes sense or at least my ears do anyway... :)

Oh no I get it. Presto isn't as "noisy."

• Like 2

CA is easily the best album since S&A.

(This could change if they release another album.)

Nickleback have released better albums than SA since 2007 as well.

Turgid poop, I say!

I know the feeling. The thing is that CA gets a lot of love here so it's more noticeable when others pile on it. But I assure you it happens elsewhere with other much loved Rush albums. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Should I bother?

Since its Rush, yes. Definitely give it a shot. Or several listens.

That being said, I agree with all of the comments here about the rotten recording quality. Its is brick-walled. If you like your music that way you may like it. That being said, I don't like my music brick walled. I like it being able to breathe - and Rush's music really does much better if it can breathe. If you can here the silence between the notes Rush's music really benefits from it.

Now the recording quality is far, far better than the original VT. That album was really bad. CA is just thick and noisy. The songs are decent - give it a shot.

Its not one of my favorites. In fact, the only Rush albums I like less are VT, CoS, ST (I guess - they are about on the same level) & RTB (again - sort of close). Its definitely in my bottom 1/4 of Rush's work.

FBN & everything from 2112 - Presto, CP - T4E & S & A are all better. But yes, give it a shot. Its ok.

• Like 1

Most people's complaints about CA are about production only. Very few have a lot of complaints about the material. Rush need to get Botrill to work on the remix pronto. All the brick walling issues can easily be fixed(a lot easier than VT which Botrill pulled off a miracle considering) and then it is easily a top 10 Rush record. It's probably a top 6 for me without the remix. Edited by presto123

Should I bother?

That being said, I agree with all of the comments here about the rotten recording quality. Its is brick-walled. If you like your music that way you may like it. That being said, I don't like my music brick walled. I like it being able to breathe - and Rush's music really does much better if it can breathe. If you can here the silence between the notes Rush's music really benefits from it.

Now the recording quality is far, far better than the original VT. That album was really bad. CA is just thick and noisy. The songs are decent - give it a shot.

Its not one of my favorites. In fact, the only Rush albums I like less are VT, CoS, ST (I guess - they are about on the same level) & RTB (again - sort of close). Its definitely in my bottom 1/4 of Rush's work.

FBN & everything from 2112 - Presto, CP - T4E & S & A are all better. But yes, give it a shot. Its ok.

A ringing endorsement :LOL: Just teasing but I agree with you. Better than some but worse than most. Mostly due to production. The material is better than anything in eons... Edited by Narps

Should I bother?

A ringing endorsement :LOL: Just teasing but I agree with you. Better than some but worse than most. Most due to production. The material is better than anything in eons...

Like I said.....you know this is going to get the Botrill treatment eventually. Can't wait!

This is click bait, meant to draw one Tombstone Mountain out of lurker mode.

Good to see you, in any case. I was beginning to wonder.

I was about a half step away from contacting the Goatnut Mafioso to ferret you out.

I believe it's the finale to the Goatnut Mafioso quintilogy on Angels that really puts the album over the top. Too bad the production renders "over the top" to another category altogether.

• Like 1

This is click bait, meant to draw one Tombstone Mountain out of lurker mode.

Good to see you, in any case. I was beginning to wonder.

I was about a half step away from contacting the Goatnut Mafioso to ferret you out.

I believe it's the finale to the Goatnut Mafioso quintilogy on Angels that really puts the album over the top. Too bad the production renders "over the top" to another category altogether.

^ Clever! :)

But why did you have to end your post with a backhand to the face? :(

• Like 1

Most people's complaints about CA are about production only. Very few have a lot of complaints about the material. Rush need to get Botrill to work on the remix pronto. All the brick walling issues can easily be fixed(a lot easier than VT which Botrill pulled off a miracle considering) and then it is easily a top 10 Rush record. It's probably a top 6 for me without the remix.

Why not a 5.1 Blu Ray of CA remastered by Bottrill? I would pay for that!

• Like 2

gotta say, my complaint about CA absolutely nothing to do with production, sounds perfectly fine that way to me.

i got the VT production issues, still my fav rush album but was sonically rubbish of course.

no, my complaint on CA is that half the tracks are unusually poorly written by this band, i find some of them tedious and plain boring as a matter of fact, only rush album

i could ever say that about.

is only redeemed by the other half, which is sheer utter rush brilliance. tracks like BU2B, Caravan, Clockwork Angels and The Garden are simply rush at their very, very best.

• Like 1

gotta say, my complaint about CA absolutely nothing to do with production, sounds perfectly fine that way to me.

i got the VT production issues, still my fav rush album but was sonically rubbish of course.

no, my complaint on CA is that half the tracks are unusually poorly written by this band, i find some of them tedious and plain boring as a matter of fact, only rush album

i could ever say that about.

is only redeemed by the other half, which is sheer utter rush brilliance. tracks like BU2B, Caravan, Clockwork Angels and The Garden are simply rush at their very, very best.

My argument exactly. (Aside from the production issue. It is hideous).