Is Clockwork Angels Any Good?

Fridge

Nah....decided I can't be bothered...maybe next year.

:LOL: I didn't hear HYF until about 27 years after it's release, Presto 25 years after and so on. No big hurry I say... :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/anyolite/misc/charlie_brown_good_grief.jpg
  • Like 3

Nah....decided I can't be bothered...maybe next year.

:LOL: I didn't hear HYF until about 27 years after it's release, Presto 25 years after and so on. No big hurry I say... :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/anyolite/misc/charlie_brown_good_grief.jpg

I need to save this one somewhere for use later... :)
  • Like 4

It all depends on how you like your Rush.

On the plus side, it has more energy than a group of guys that old should be able to muster up. They are really hammering at it and it has a looser vibe, mainly because of Neil's more improvisational approach. There are a half a dozen very good songs, some cracking riffs, and the whole thing is pretty heavy except for the obvious ballads.

On the minus, the production is as bad as people suggest. Brick-walled mastering might suit some styles of music, but not Rush. As mighty as their sound has always been, it has always had room to breath. It doesn't get that here.Some of the arrangements are too cluttered. Sometimes it works, as on 'Headlong Flight', but most often not. It is a long album, and I think they could have cut a few tracks and just kept the cream.

I've been a Rush fan since the early eighties, and have found my interest in them wane since the late eighties, with progressively less brilliant albums. I listen to everything up to and including Power Windows pretty regularly, but after that the albums get little attention from me. Clockwork Angels was definitely a return to form in some ways, but after my initial euphoria died down, it is not an album I go to much.

In summary, a good album and better than the last few, but nowhere near the levels of excellence they achieved back in their prime. It happens.

• Like 4

Its great....just spent a long while away from it...only playing everything but CA when I listened to Rush....and I mean everything....then just yesterday I put CA on for a spin....its fantastic.....and sorry to Snakes fans....its much better to my ears...very loose...rocking...very straightforward...and strange at the same time.....
  • Like 3

On the plus side, it has more energy than a group of guys that old should be able to muster up. They are really hammering at it and it has a looser vibe, mainly because of Neil's more improvisational approach. There are a half a dozen very good songs, some cracking riffs, and the whole thing is pretty heavy except for the obvious ballads.

On the minus, the production is as bad as people suggest. Brick-walled mastering might suit some styles of music, but not Rush. As mighty as their sound has always been, it has always had room to breath. It doesn't get that here.Some of the arrangements are too cluttered. Sometimes it works, as on 'Headlong Flight', but most often not. It is a long album, and I think they could have cut a few tracks and just kept the cream.

I've been a Rush fan since the early eighties, and have found my interest in them wane since the late eighties, with progressively less brilliant albums. I listen to everything up to and including Power Windows pretty regularly, but after that the albums get little attention from me. Clockwork Angels was definitely a return to form in some ways, but after my initial euphoria died down, it is not an album I go to much.

In summary, a good album and better than the last few, but nowhere near the levels of excellence they achieved back in their prime. It happens.

Excellent post. Exactly on point in every single way... :cheers: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Not sure if you're joking but....., you should absolutely get it. You are going to need to listen to it several times to really get what is going on. Not as bad as vapor trails but it is very dense and takes a few listens to get familiar. I listened once in release day and said meh and filed it for a while. When I pulled it back out and listened some more I was shocked how good it really is.
  • Like 1

I listened once in release day and said meh and filed it for a while. When I pulled it back out and listened some more I was shocked how good it really is.

Yeah it's kinda awesome..."shocked"...glad you came around.
  • Like 1

:unsure: :blink: The sheriff is back in town ^^^^ :scared: :outtahere: .....

I liked your old profile picture better, the photo.

It was a pic of me though... :huh:

Bring out the "gun" show dude. Those arms...oh those arms. Makes me so hot!
  • Like 1

Did you see the new pics of me in the post pictures of you thread from our recent flood? You will salivate over those... :LOL: some epic sh*t according to some anyway... :cheers: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Yeah it's the best one they've done in years

Every album they've done in the last couple decades was the best they did in years.

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

Did you see the new pics of me in the post pictures of you thread from our recent flood? You will salivate over those... :LOL: some epic sh*t according to some anyway... :cheers:

Move to Goatnut. Flooding isn't a problem here. Glad you survived
  • Like 1

Here comes the peanut gallery

peanut #1 presenting for duty sir!

Listen to Seven Cities of Gold and tell me that doesn't make you wanna sing along.

Or Caravan...or BU2B...or the title track...or...

Yes.

• Like 1

This is really a good post and expresses well my own thoughts.

• Like 1