Neil Peart - Most Overrated Drummer Ever

LedRush

HEY THIS THREAD IS FIGHTING WORDS!!! I realize I run the risk of banishment but if I ever find the guy who started this thread I might punch him in the throat...maybe I'd smoke a bowl with him. BUT WE WOULD HAVE WORDS OVER THIS!!!

Nothing says friendship quite like a throat punch...

...or sharing a bowl of soup!

Screw that. My bowl is for ME.....and I make sure that it's the LARGER bowl. :yes:

You need a big one for your haircut.

Wow, dude you crossed a line. We were just having fun here...not cool.

I made that as a joke.

;)

HEY THIS THREAD IS FIGHTING WORDS!!! I realize I run the risk of banishment but if I ever find the guy who started this thread I might punch him in the throat...maybe I'd smoke a bowl with him. BUT WE WOULD HAVE WORDS OVER THIS!!!

Screw that. My bowl is for ME.....and I make sure that it's the LARGER bowl. :yes:

You need a big one for your haircut.

Wow, dude you crossed a line. We were just having fun here...not cool.

I made that as a joke.

;)

Sorry as always!

Well, Neil Peart thinks YOU'RE OVERRATED

What does he know. After forty years, he still can't master the drums.

Have you listened to Rivendell, he is a master with the drums on that song

So much so you can't even hear him playing. That's a real art you know. Not every drummer can do that.

It's all the space between the notes that really makes that song.

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Amen.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

On the contrary. Many of us feel now is the time, finally, for Cornelius' spoken word solo album.

• Like 1

Neil Peart must be the most overrated drummer ever. He doesn't have any groove, he can't hit all the little fills he pretends are so important, and his overly busy style detracts from the great songs that Rush writes. I love his writings, recommendations, and nuanced political views, but his drumming is just atrocious.

Amen.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

On the contrary. Many of us feel now is the time, finally, for Cornelius' spoken word solo album.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/peart%20blackalbum_zpsjnfb6pnu.jpg

Ah, yes....the infamous but unreleased solo effort...a.k.a "The Black Album".

Dave Weckl told me that Neil is very "systematic."

I am friends with the guys in a local rock band from the Bay Area Y&T. I used to criticize the band's music on their Forum. Dave Meniketti is one of the greatest guitar players in the world. He knew that I was a serious RUSHHEAD.

One night we really got into it and he told me that he and many of his colleagues think that NEIL PEART IS TOTALLY OVERRATED!!

Also, Leonard Haze of Y&T fame back then also thinks the same thing!!

Y&T opened for RUSH on the GUP Tour back on the East Coast for three weeks!

Haze hated Neil Peart's drum solos!! Thought he was way overrated.

I honestly don't give a shit.

I have been playing to Rush albums for decades and playing to Neil is fun and well entertaining. Complexity equals flexibly. I love all the buzzers and bells. I have most of them on my kit too.

NEIL RULES!

A pioneer in the progressive rock field canon.

Who cares that he can't swing.

Not his genre.

The man is THE MAN!

Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time.

Neil is the greatest drummer of all time in his progressive "geological time."

Neil is a tortoise now.

• Like 1

I am friends with the guys in a local rock band from the Bay Area Y&T. I used to criticize the band's music on their Forum. Dave Meniketti is one of the greatest guitar players in the world. He knew that I was a serious RUSHHEAD.

One night we really got into it and he told me that he and many of his colleagues think that NEIL PEART IS TOTALLY OVERRATED!!

I have been playing to Rush albums for decades and playing to Neil is fun and well entertaining. Complexity equals flexibly. I love all the buzzers and bells. I have most of them on my kit too.

NEIL RULES!

Not his genre.

The man is THE MAN!

Neil is a tortoise now.

I was watching some clips of Bill Bruford playing in King Crimson last night and I Think he is a better drummer than Neil hands (or is it sticks) down. I would also rank Vinnie Colaiuta higher. Those guys had jazz chops as well as the ability to play heavy rock.

I like Neil in the context of the band........he's solo's are duller then dirt though.

Mick

I enjoyed the ones on Rush In Rio...but they were admittedly the first I had ever seen...

• Like 1

You should move to BowlCity.

NEIL RULES!

Not his genre.

The man is THE MAN!

Neil is a tortoise now.

I was watching some clips of Bill Bruford playing in King Crimson last night and I Think he is a better drummer than Neil hands (or is it sticks) down. I would also rank Vinnie Colaiuta higher. Those guys had jazz chops as well as the ability to play heavy rock.

Yeah but for damn's sake Colaiuta is a freak of nature. He can play anything, anywhere, anytime...all while reading a chart sight unseen. Vinnie's the guy that made Frank Zappa say "I get it. You can read." While playing The Black Page during an audition having never seen the sheet music. You shouldn't compare Vinnie to anyone. From Zappa to Joni Mitchell to Sting to Jeff Beck to Megadeth, Colaiuta can throw that shit down like no one else.

NEIL RULES!

Not his genre.

The man is THE MAN!

Neil is a tortoise now.

Bruford 10x the drummer Neil is.

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is. He is a great rock drummer, one of the best, for sure and perfect for Rush. But, if you put him up against people like Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Tony Royster Jr., Dave Weckl and especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -
  • Like 2

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is. He is a great rock drummer, one of the best, for sure and perfect for Rush. But, if you put him up against people like Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Tony Royster Jr., Dave Weckl and especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -

Not familiar with him. As Bubbles would say "HOLY FOCK!!!!!!!!" Awesome.

• Like 2

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is...especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -

Bah, I will not watch this Anti-Peart propaganda. If this Thomas Lang is so great why have I not heard of him??? Why not? These opinions of yours do not mesh with my RUSH Fan Boy feelings. As a non-drummer my opinion holds more weight than yours. Get out of here with this Thomas Lang jazz.

• Like 2

Neil is and will always be my favourite drummer... has been since 1976. But, (and this is coming from me, a drummer,) he really is over-rated. Not by miles, but he is...especially, Thomas Lang... look out. No comparison. Google "Thomas Lang drum solo" on the Youtubes... you will be in shock. He is WAY better than even Buddy Rich was at his peak. Try this one -

Bah, I will not watch this Anti-Peart propaganda. If this Thomas Lang is so great why have I not heard of him??? Why not? These opinions of yours do not mesh with my RUSH Fan Boy feelings. As a non-drummer my opinion holds more weight than yours. Get out of here with this Thomas Lang jazz.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

Right on, John Rogers.

We will make you the spokesperson for the little talentless Rush fanatics.

Not familiar with him. As Bubbles would say "HOLY FOCK!!!!!!!!" Awesome.

+1

Outstanding drummer

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

Right on, John Rogers.

We will make you the spokesperson for the little talentless Rush fanatics.

That's right! Neil Peart may be a douche but he is the greatest drummer ever. Buddy Rich's last words on his death bed were a hushed whispered "Neil Peart", then a drumstick he was clutching fell from his hand.

• Like 2