Take That Lampshade Off Yo Head!

DadRockGirl

I find it completely improbable in this day and age that they do not have demo versions of these songs lying around in complete umastered form. It is a tragedy they do not find these things interesting enough to save for release somewhere down the line.

Which is why I don't get the "we don't have leftover stuff" argument when it comes in respect to stuff for box sets ?!?! We know that they have soundcheck jams, and demos....to me that's as valuable as an unreleased song. (as are alternate mixes of things) Just from talking to my old recording III professor from way back, he said that a few things just fall into place, but others take a while, and there may be 10-15 different versions of any given song, in which at least about 5 of those sound completely different than the final version.

If they do have any of those things they probably don't want to release them because they aren't the finished product, and as such they don't sound good. It would be akin to you not wanting your publicity photo to be one of you when you just woke up in the morning, and everything's a mess ;)

Yes. Not to compare The Beatles to Rush, but it took 25 years after they broke up for the Anthology stuff to come out. Rush are still an active band. I imagine the last thing they want to do is scrape the barrel for tibits, alternative scraps or sound check jams while they're still a going concern. Rush is always about moving forward. We will most likely never get Rush's version of Anthology, but if we do it will be a long long long time.

• Like 2

I find it completely improbable in this day and age that they do not have demo versions of these songs lying around in complete umastered form. It is a tragedy they do not find these things interesting enough to save for release somewhere down the line.

Which is why I don't get the "we don't have leftover stuff" argument when it comes in respect to stuff for box sets ?!?! We know that they have soundcheck jams, and demos....to me that's as valuable as an unreleased song. (as are alternate mixes of things) Just from talking to my old recording III professor from way back, he said that a few things just fall into place, but others take a while, and there may be 10-15 different versions of any given song, in which at least about 5 of those sound completely different than the final version.

If they do have any of those things they probably don't want to release them because they aren't the finished product, and as such they don't sound good. It would be akin to you not wanting your publicity photo to be one of you when you just woke up in the morning, and everything's a mess ;)

Yes. Not to compare The Beatles to Rush, but it took 25 years after they broke up for the Anthology stuff to come out. Rush are still an active band. I imagine the last thing they want to do is scrape the barrel for tibits, alternative scraps or sound check jams while they're still a going concern. Rush is always about moving forward. We will most likely never get Rush's version of Anthology, but if we do it will be a long long long time.

Good points as well! Although look at some off the Pink Floyd stuff that surfaced a few years back (and that thing that they just released with the Rick Wright demos and stuff)

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Good points as well! Although look at some off the Pink Floyd stuff that surfaced a few years back (and that thing that they just released with the Rick Wright demos and stuff)

Yes, the Immersion sets. 35+ years after those albums originally came out. Floyd's latest and final studio LP, 2014's The Endless River, is a proper Pink Floyd album of all "new" original material. It's mostly leftovers from the Division Bell sessions, but with some new material recorded in 2013-14. Gilmour thought too much of Wright's unused DB stuff for it to never see the light of day.

I'd actually be interested if their engineer's have the 2-tracks that they ran during sessions (to catch accidents and stuff like that during sessions) My old prof said that he kept most of them over the years, in fact, one night he brought in one from a Billy Joel session that was hilarious! Billy was getting tired of working, and at the end of the tape just said something to the effect of "F*ck this, someone just order a damn pizza, and let's come back tomorrow"! Other stuff was him telling bad jokes in between takes, and stuff like that.

Any engineer worth his salt would run those...but who knows if they were able to keep them. (I think I have some Zeppelin bootlegs somewhere that have sessions stuff like that)

Yeah, I have a compilation of Zeppelin stuff (which I almost never listen to, but there's no way if get rid of it) called Complete Studio Sessions, or Complete Studio Outtakes, or something like that, that has a lot of that kind of stuff on it.

It's eleven discs long!

Yes, the Immersion sets. 35+ years after those albums originally came out. Floyd's latest and final studio LP, 2014's The Endless River, is a proper Pink Floyd album of all "new" original material. It's mostly leftovers from the Division Bell sessions, but with some new material recorded in 2013-14. Gilmour thought too much of Wright's unused DB stuff for it to never see the light of day.

Yeah...all old stuff...Hell the DB stuff is 20 years old! (wasn't a big fan of it....)

I'd actually be interested if their engineer's have the 2-tracks that they ran during sessions (to catch accidents and stuff like that during sessions) My old prof said that he kept most of them over the years, in fact, one night he brought in one from a Billy Joel session that was hilarious! Billy was getting tired of working, and at the end of the tape just said something to the effect of "F*ck this, someone just order a damn pizza, and let's come back tomorrow"! Other stuff was him telling bad jokes in between takes, and stuff like that.

Any engineer worth his salt would run those...but who knows if they were able to keep them. (I think I have some Zeppelin bootlegs somewhere that have sessions stuff like that)

Yeah, I have a compilation of Zeppelin stuff (which I almost never listen to, but there's no way if get rid of it) called Complete Studio Sessions, or Complete Studio Outtakes, or something like that, that has a lot of that kind of stuff on it.

It's eleven discs long!

Yep, that's the one! Listened to it once, and it's on the shelf next to a bunch of other old Zep stuff. I think I was more interested in it from a "process" standpoint...and I will admit to hitting the "next" button a few times...some of it got really tedious...

But I'd be more interested in a comparison of sorts....not so much the five takes for Geddy to sing a line the way they wanted it, or Neil to play a fill the way he wanted it...moreso like I mentioned...Jam-demo-mix 1-3-final....

• Like 1

(which I almost never listen to, but there's no way if get rid of it)

Since you mentioned that...someone is going to inherit a LOT of material when I meet my "untimely demise"! Hell, I'm considering just burning everything on my hard drive(s) ( so it's a harder thing to get rid of for my wife! hahahaha!!!)

Besides what I have burned and in cases, I have like 5 copier paper boxes filled with spindles of stuff, a bunch of spindles sitting around my computer area, three of those big binders filled (one with all Zappa-related) AND two hard drives filled with stuff I haven't burnt yet (I'm considering buying another 3-4TB)

I know that I'll never listen to probably about 75% of what I've downloaded/traded/etc. but I have it for when the mood strikes me! There's just so much stuff out there, that I download it "just in case"

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

True, and I don't doubt that at all, but I think that a contrast, or even a developmental path would be an interesting thing to hear... Think about how interesting listening to the sound check jam for <insert song title> would be, then the demo stage, and a few mixes before the finished product

Good point, that would be an interesting trajectory to hear.

• Like 1

If Neil is completely done, Ged and Al should just go in and write the music they would've made for the next Rush album (presumably continuing in the vein of CA) and just keep it without vocals. Record it with a hotshot drummer who's in the same league as Neil

Stop right there.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but...

:no:

Why? You're opposed to them ever recording anything without Neil or do you always need your albums to have vocals (or both)?
  • Like 1

Pish posh I say to both of you, pish posh!

Please for the love of Jesus, never say that ever again,

What words? Pish posh?

800px-Larry_Linville_Major_Frank_Burns_MASH_1972.JPG
  • Like 1

If Neil is completely done, Ged and Al should just go in and write the music they would've made for the next Rush album (presumably continuing in the vein of CA) and just keep it without vocals. Record it with a hotshot drummer who's in the same league as Neil

Stop right there.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but...

:no:

Why? You're opposed to them ever recording anything without Neil or do you always need your albums to have vocals (or both)?

I'm not opposed to an instrumental album, no. Geddy and Alex recording without Neil would be...just too strange, that's all. That's just my opinion.

But my opinion doesn't matter as much as the idea that I just don't think they would do that, with someone else behind the drum kit.

Glad you enjoy the thought of it, though, right on. :)

Edited by Blue J

Pish posh I say to both of you, pish posh!

Please for the love of Jesus, never say that ever again,

There are a few words you've used in your posts many, many times that I could ask you to please never say again. But you are who you are...and I accept that.

Or...if you were joking...then pish posh, I say to you- pish posh!

Oh no... I was just listening to Dream Theaters cover of that old Zebra song "Take your fingers from my hear" which I really like... Now I'm hearing "Take That Lampshade Off Yo Head"... Classic. A great laugh to start that day, brilliant.
  • Like 1

Oh no... I was just listening to Dream Theaters cover of that old Zebra song "Take your fingers from my hear" which I really like... Now I'm hearing "Take That Lampshade Off Yo Head"... Classic. A great laugh to start that day, brilliant.

great...now I'll never be able to listen to that Zebra tune without thinking that! :laughing guy:

Gaa! everytime I read the title of this thread, I keep hearing Fred Schneider saying, "What's that on your head!?"