R40 Live DVD... Roll The Bones Live - Nov 20th release

Mark_L

after the massive disappointments that were the Time Machine Live and Clockwork Angels Live DVD. I haven't liked Rush's live releases since Rio, the most tolerable mix of the bunch probably was R30.

^^^^ This...

Alas, this is probably a single so that I am forced to spend some extra money on the band.

Forced? How do you figure that?

i think he's being hyperbolic

Led, you wouldn't do that, would you? ;)

(This is all in good fun; I'm not seriously trying to pick on anybody).

I hope the mix gives a bit more punch to the 70s kit toms. I always associate Rush with a crisp, razor sharp tom sound. The drums sound a bit "soft" to me on the recordings I've heard.
  • Like 4

Yay, just 2 more months! Praying that Botrill is doing the audio for the DVD as well.

I'm pretty sure the same guy mixes everything.

The audio should be much crisp and cleaner on DVD and BluRay than it is on CD.

It's too bad the sample on Amazon is super low quality because I want to hear the full quality of the mix.

The fact that its a very low quality mp3, and the mix STILL has punch and cuts through, is very promising :)

Our prayers have been answered it seems!

I will be happy if they do justice to the show and don't just release some kind of half-ass thing that everyone groans and sighs over because it sucks.
  • Like 1

I hope the mix gives a bit more punch to the 70s kit toms. I always associate Rush with a crisp, razor sharp tom sound. The drums sound a bit "soft" to me on the recordings I've heard.

I agree about the tom sound being sort of an iconic part of the Rush sound. I can't help but think that the toms don't sound as good on the DW drums, regardless of the mix. They're more melodic sounding now, and less punchy.

• Like 1

They're only 70's in looks not manufacture. They'll be exactly same spec as Neil's usual kit.

I agree about the tom sound being sort of an iconic part of the Rush sound. I can't help but think that the toms don't sound as good on the DW drums, regardless of the mix. They're more melodic sounding now, and less punchy.

Yeah, I think we're getting each other's meaning. Those more "musical" sounding drums are probably why he likes 'em, but they change the sound. The old tom sound had a snap with less resonance, if that's the right word, or a shorter decay, or something.

• Like 1

They're only 70's in looks not manufacture. They'll be exactly same spec as Neil's usual kit.

Yeah, but they do sound a bit quieter - maybe because Neil hasn't played that arrangement for a while, so he's not hitting them with the same force?

I'm 99 percent sure that on recent live releases, they re-sampled the drums altogether. If you listen to YouTube fan-filmed videos of the concerts, or of course if you attend the shows live, Neils drums are always punchy as hell, and they roar while also having tonality and they're super resonant (how he DEMANDS that his drumsets are now, in stark contrast to that 70s'80s crisp but quick and sharp attack)

The sound is completely changed on the live albums. Neil likes his drums deeper and super resonant. On S/A, T/M and C/A live, the engineering team tended to make them sound higher pitched and have a very short decay, and a very soft tone. Completely different.

It's actually much easier as an engineer to have a drumkit stand out when it's dead and has no ring/resonance. Thats part of why it was all the rage in the 70s/80s.

So on those recent live releases, the tom tom tones were so diminished so that theyre not dominating. Which... Is blasphemy cus I'm used to Neils tom-fills being like sonic "events" that are very loud and in your face .

As far as this year goes, I have to admit when I was there live, I did NOT like how Neils 80s replica kit sounded . just tuned way too low. Just was all "thud". It'd be interesting to hear what they do with that.

Edited by maxdistortion
  • Like 2

It's actually much easier as an engineer to have a drumkit stand out when it's dead and has no ring/resonance. Thats part of why it was all the rage in the 70s/80s.

Interesting...I've always thought that there was a very stark shift in the way drums were generally produced to sound between the '70s and '80s. In the '70s, I hear much more reverb or resonance associated with the bass drum, and almost none from the snare- the smack on a snare sounds extremely short and crisp, and the bass drum kicks are booming. And then in the '80s, with the elements of new wave that bled over into rock and pop, it was exactly the opposite- much more resonance or reverb on the snare hits, and little to none on the bass drum.

Maybe that's going off on too much of a tangent, but your comment got me thinking about it.

Interesting...I've always thought that there was a very stark shift in the way drums were generally produced to sound between the '70s and '80s. In the '70s, I hear much more reverb or resonance associated with the bass drum, and almost none from the snare- the smack on a snare sounds extremely short and crisp, and the bass drum kicks are booming. And then in the '80s, with the elements of new wave that bled over into rock and pop, it was exactly the opposite- much more resonance or reverb on the snare hits, and little to none on the bass drum.

Maybe that's going off on too much of a tangent, but your comment got me thinking about it.

Oh whoops I meant like... 80s circa permanent waves through signals . drums were mostly still dead-ish sounding throughout the 80s but they just splashed it in artificial reverbs and whatnot .

Its my understanding the rumored title will be "Old Bones A Rollin"...it was agreed upon after Neil rejected the Hugh Syme artwork for the original working title.."Older Boners Rolling"...a title no one other than perhaps Ray was very enthused about....

I'm calling BS!

Me too! I think it will be called "R40 Live" or something like that. Maybe what is being shown is the cover art for the RTB single releasing on the 25th.

It's official! To quote rush.com, "Rush R40 Live concert film will be released on November 20th. More details to be revealed soon."