What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

The Cat 3

What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

• Please Please Me
    • With the Beatles
    • A Hard Days Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The Beatles (The White Album)
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let It Be

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/metal/beatles.jpg

OK, so here's the near impossible task of picking your favourite album by The Beatles.

(Well, near impossible for me anyway).

So, what is your favourite and why?

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

I picked "Magical Mystery Tour".

I remember riding my bike (Green Stingray, banana seat and sissy bar) to go buy this album with my own money.

(The same store, Spectrum Records, where I bought Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack").

I was already buying 45s at this point, but this was the first LP I purchased with my own money.

I rode home and played that record over and over.

It came with a booklet...which I dismantled and cut all the pictures out of and tacked on my bedroom wall.

I couldn't have been a lad of just 12 or 13.

I remember it like is was yesterday.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 3

I don't like thinking about this so I have an automatic go to album - The Beatles.

Aw C'mon...I've been waiting for your story.

Speaking of "The Beatles"...have you heard the mono remaster from 2009?

I listened to it today and heard things I'd never heard before.

Wow, just wow.

Abbey Road, the first Beatles album I listened to (aside from the impeccable red and blue compilations and 1), and followingly the first Beatles album I bought. It's got perfect production, like the whole thing was actually recorded in an octopus' garden. Where some of the songs have of course been overexposed (though I'll never get tired of Come Together, it's too groovy and unique, and Here Comes The Sun is just about the happiest song of all time, plus my favorite Beatles song), many other tracks are familiar but not too much so and stand out as some of the absolute best on the album. Oh Darling, Octopus' Garden, and The End fall in this category for me (okay those are debatable I guess). Then you have the excellent deep cuts, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I Want You (She's So Heavy), and the entire medley on the second side which can't even begin to drag the album down like some Beatles deep cuts (okay, I Want You is debatable as well, but I love it and it works perfectly for me). Really, the only thing on this album I don't care much for is Because, because...it's not that interesting. It's neat sure, but it doesn't really fit the flow of the album imo. And another of my absolute favorites is Golden Slumbers, rarely are tracks so beautiful but so short, which somehow only adds to their beauty (Queen did this once with "Nevermore"). What nearly perfect album (-Because) with real flow and great songs and excellent production and great musicians.

Other Beatles albums I've listened to tend to lack in one of the aforementioned areas (or, in the case of Magical Mystery Tour (American version), it's simply dragged down by sheer overexposure of material which has all of these great elements). Though I haven't listened to Rubber Soul, the American version of Help (or whichever one has Yesterday on it), any album before Hard Day's Night, or the complete White Album (though when I started listening to it once it seemed really promising, but I didn't get far). I've also never really listened to Let It Be in depth, though I don't see how it could compare to Abbey Road. Sgt. Pepper's is excellent, but lacks flow and saves most of its best material for the overexposed hits at the beginning and end (She's Leaving Home being a major exception). Revolver is better in the flow department, but not all of the songs are up to snuff, and most of the ones that are sound a bit to dry or something, could've used better production, though I understand why that wasn't really possible. Hard Day's Night is charming, but where half of the album is excellent early Beatles material (overexposed as it may be), the other half shows that the band was still developing its songwriting chops, very much so. I also have the Help soundtrack, and I really like it a lot, but being filled with half instrumentals not recorded by the Beatles tends to put it among the lower ranks of their discography for me.

Abbey Road yeah!

• Like 1

The White Album. "When I get to the bottom I go back to the top...."

MOTLEY CRUE!!!!

LOL

Got fond memories of MC opening for Iron Maiden here in Italy in 1984 and Helter Skelter was their last number. One the best supporting acts I have ever witnessed.

But when I saw MC again 25 yrs later they were the crappest main act I have ever witnessed....

Edited by geezer
  • Like 2

The White Album. "When I get to the bottom I go back to the top...."

MOTLEY CRUE!!!!

LOL

Got fond memories of MC opening for Iron Maiden here in Italy in 1984 and Helter Skelter was their last number. One the best supporting acts I have ever witnessed.

But when I saw MC again 25 yrs later they were the crappest main act I have ever witnessed....

Geezer!! I'm glad my sense of humor could bring up a past true hard rock memory! Yes! FUKK MOTLEY CRUE TODAY! THEY SUCK! But you saw them when they were young and "RED HOT!" Damn I love that song!

What a tour! IM and MC!!!! SO LUCKY!!!!!!

CHEERS!

UP THE IRONS!!

Whoops! I guess to stay on topic, UP THE BEATLES NOSE WITH A RUBBER HOSE!!!!!

• Like 1

My favourite album by The Beatles is Abbey Road. I went to London, England in March 2014 and visited Abbey Road and walked across the zebra crossing. That was one of the greatest experiences of my life, to walk across the same zebra crossing as my all time number one favourite band.
  • Like 2

Rubber Soul. Where the old Beatles started to become the new Beatles.

I vote Revolver, for the same reason. To me, it was really where they started going through a noticeable transformation. Perfect mix of early sensibilitities and the start of a new direction. Certainly one of their strongest collections of songs.

Eleanor Rigby is absolutely otherworldly. Might be the world's perfect pop song. (Pop song, he says? With no rhythm section? And no guitar? Yes...I do say so, indeed).

• Like 3