Interesting article from a once Rush hater

BloodofTheZodiac

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/rush_how_i_learned_to_forgive_and_even_like_the_most_hated_band_of_all_time/

I was born in 85, so I wasn't around in high school halls in the 70's and 80's to hear what the general consensus was about the band. But this guy makes it sound like it's a 100% fact that they were the most despised band during these years. Maybe it's true, but I think this guy is a bit exaggerated.

Edited by BloodofTheZodiac

The title itself I disagree with. I will get to the article later... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

The only people that hated rush were people into punk or alt music back then. The less is more crowd. Everyone else liked them or didn't care either way or didn't even know who they were. My yearbooks from 82, 83, 84 are full of references to rush especially 2112. Back then 2112 was the old classic that was loved and MP was still the new kid on the block. While recognized as good the big fans were nostalgic for the epics.
  • Like 2

The only people that hated rush were people into punk or alt music back then. The less is more crowd. Everyone else liked them or didn't care either way or didn't even know who they were. My yearbooks from 82, 83, 84 are full of references to rush especially 2112. Back then 2112 was the old classic that was loved and MP was still the new kid on the block. While recognized as good the big fans were nostalgic for the epics.

I agree.

As a 10 year old in 5th grade, I saw the Signals tour. When some of my classmates heard that I went to the gig, they were slightly envious and had a lot of questions about it. Rush got a lot of radio and MTV play in the early 80s. If I had to put percentages on how they were perceived in those days I'd guess something like this:

Hated / Disliked Rush : 10%

Loved / Liked Rush : 30%

Knew Rush but had no opinion either way : 60%

I'm going to nitpick but he got a few of his facts wrong:

"There was an unbelievable surge in the crowd when Rush hit the stage, their first local appearance in years, and they began with “YYZ"

First of all, it wasn't their first local appearance in years. They play Toronto every tour, including the VT tour the year previous.

Second, they did not open with YYZ. They opened with Tom Sawyer.

Sorry to nitpick but it just bugs me when they get their facts wrong.

• Like 1

I agree.

As a 10 year old in 5th grade, I saw the Signals tour. When some of my classmates heard that I went to the gig, they were slightly envious and had a lot of questions about it. Rush got a lot of radio and MTV play in the early 80s. If I had to put percentages on how they were perceived in those days I'd guess something like this:

Yeah that sounds about right. At that time, I would be part of the 60%. Foolish me.

At my high school in a blue collar steel mill town in the late 70s, Rush, Floyd, and Zep were the most popular bands. People who liked disco were liable to be stuffed into lockers.
  • Like 3

What is it with this never-ending trend of people deluding themselves into believing Rush is an exceptionally hated / underrated rock group?

Does it make Rush fans feel special?

I think it depends on the time they're talking about. During the synth era I would agree.

I graduated in '84, and the problem in my high school was that the Rush haters were the ones "in power". Our class song ended up being "Time for Me to Fly" instead of "Freewill". Most of the girls listened to Journey. The Who, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin all had bigger followings at the time than Rush (and probably still do in some/most cases). A large percentage of (or even most) Rush fans were musicians themselves. Having said that, there was a huge buzz around Rush during those Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left/Signals days. Seeing Rush in concert was generally seen a just a cool thing to do even if you weren't the biggest Rush fan. For a time, they were popular because they were popular whether people understood the music or not. The bandwagon fans lasted for about 2 or 3 years until the next big thing came along (U2 as an example). I myself was disappointed in the direction that Rush took on Grace Under Pressure, but I stuck with them hoping they would get back to guitar driven instead of synth/electronic driven music.

From the article:

I’d seen the newspaper ad for their latest album, “A Farewell to Kings.” I was intrigued by how dangerous the band members looked on the album cover

I lost interest in reading after that

That's either a marionette or a dangerous looking band member. I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

I graduated in '84, and the problem in my high school was that the Rush haters were the ones "in power". Our class song ended up being "Time for Me to Fly" instead of "Freewill". Most of the girls listened to Journey. The Who, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin all had bigger followings at the time than Rush (and probably still do in some/most cases). A large percentage of (or even most) Rush fans were musicians themselves. Having said that, there was a huge buzz around Rush during those Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left/Signals days. Seeing Rush in concert was generally seen a just a cool thing to do even if you weren't the biggest Rush fan. For a time, they were popular because they were popular whether people understood the music or not. The bandwagon fans lasted for about 2 or 3 years until the next big thing came along (U2 as an example). I myself was disappointed in the direction that Rush took on Grace Under Pressure, but I stuck with them hoping they would get back to guitar driven instead of synth/electronic driven music.

When I was in HS it seemed Rush fans were comprised of the jean jacket crowd, AKA stoners.

I agree.

I was part of the 30% but I'd make that 40% and the no opinion 50%. I'd watch MTV fours hours hoping to catch a RUSH or Billy Idol video.

I agree.

I was part of the 30% but I'd make that 40% and the no opinion 50%. I'd watch MTV fours hours hoping to catch a RUSH or Billy Idol video.

Yeah, I did the same thing. After Saturday morning cartoons, I'd often go to my friend's house and we'd watch MTV all day (from around 12-5) because his parents went out all day. We'd play board games, look/read at comics, and draw in his large living room while MTV was constantly on. Anytime there was a video we liked, we either watched intently (like Rush) or we'd act out all the parts and sing (Men at Work's "Down Under"). Man, those were great times.

The 30% vs 40% thing is minor and could possibly be explained due to region. I grew up in North Florida (and so was thinking in that capacity), home of Lynard Skynerd, 38 Special, and Molly Hatchet. I imagine the Midwest and New England areas would be at 40%.

As someone who was there, I'll echo that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. When "Moving Pictures" was released, Rush was THE bandwagon that all the kids in my school jumped on. And just about as many jumped off when "Signals" came out. Nonetheless, they were always a huge concert draw through my college years and beyond. At it's worst (I'm talking the 1985-94 timeframe), I'd say there was a pretty large camp of people who just didn't get Rush. But as everyone here know, since the late 90's and particularly since the documentary, the bandwagon has been fired up again.

The hatred the writer is talking about may have come from the critics, particularly in the early days, but in general those opinions never really transferred to the listener base.

I was in high school from '84-'88. Much of fashion, attitude, etc., was totally driven by the kind of music you and like minds listened to...the punks, the metalheads, the alternatives in Doc Martens, etc. All the jocks at my school were all about John Cougar, Bob Seger, Steve Miller, Springsteen.

I had a lot of metalhead friends...Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, Crue. Early Metallica, Megadeth. With those guys, the dividing line was synths or keyboards of any kind. Many people that were devoted to the ballsy guitar arena rock of the 70s were terrified of the sounds that synths were making at the time. Here were these metal bands making loud melodic notes and screams and yet two-chord synth songs by the Thompson Twins and Culture Club were ruling the charts.

As to Rush specifically, I don't have to tell anyone here that they had a Synth Era. My theory regarding articles like this one is that for a while, Rush didn't fit firmly anywhere. They had alienated the 70s fans (and rather quickly, I might add, Hemispheres was recorded in the fall of 1978. Grace Under Pressure was recorded in the fall of 1983. That's one heck of a musical transition in all of five years). Plus, the live act had totally changed...the sound, the instruments, the set lists. To a lot of other people, even though they embraced more of the overall trends in music at the time, they were still Rush, which in a way made it even easier for the people who didn't like them to begin with to still go overboard on bagging on them.

The Spirit of Radio has the same riff as Sweet Jane? Can anyone enlighten me...?

Also, it has the "same lyric" as a Pet Shop Boys tune that was released 8 or 9 years later...? Can someone explain what his point is here?

Could it be that certain songs were played a lot on the radio because some people thought they were good songs?

• Like 1

Wow! We're about the same age! (Class of 85).

I agree with you. A lot of people during my high school years were unfamiliar with Rush simply because they were never played on the radio. They had a reputation as a "heavy" band. Usually the people that liked Rush were the same ones that liked groups such as Foghat, AC/DC, and Blue Oyster Cult. So they were definitely not "top 40" nor were they "punk/new wave". I never met anyone that actually hated them.

Clem

Pretty much true in my experience. I was in the minority that had a foot in both sandboxes; I liked The Clash and I liked Rush, for example, but most people acted like they excluded one another.

As someone who was there, I'll echo that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. When "Moving Pictures" was released, Rush was THE bandwagon that all the kids in my school jumped on. And just about as many jumped off when "Signals" came out. Nonetheless, they were always a huge concert draw through my college years and beyond. At it's worst (I'm talking the 1985-94 timeframe), I'd say there was a pretty large camp of people who just didn't get Rush. But as everyone here know, since the late 90's and particularly since the documentary, the bandwagon has been fired up again.

The hatred the writer is talking about may have come from the critics, particularly in the early days, but in general those opinions never really transferred to the listener base.

Interesting. Down here it was mp that made a lot of people generally aware they existed and fans of rock/metal take notice while signals (and new world man) created the bandwagon (as small as it was) I saw nu wave types becoming temporary rush fans. We're probably talking a 3 month window at best.

Class of 84 here so I can attest that even the coolest kids in school were seen wearing Rush concert T's . And that is sayng a lot cause we had a shithole concert venue stuck out near the Everglades called "The Hollywood Sportatorium" . If your willing to drive the 20 miles to get there you really really want to see that band. I havent read this article but Rush wasn't hated at all. Rick Springfield mabe but not Rush. Edited by patjnev