Unpopular opinion - The original VT is better than the remix

DadRockGirl

I went there. I can't listen to the remixed version.

It isn't engrossing, is it? They improved the sound but lost the caustic anger in the process. Something went wrong with VT to make it sound so...right!

To me, the remix is emotionless and without the raw intensity of the original, the songs maintain their strength but not the soul.

Anger, hurt and pain sets the original on fire, and those who dislike it quite honestly have reason to feel that way. But it is the most ballsy, dangerous and vicious sounding Rush album and the remix creates an Illusion of fire, but merely singes the edges of the listeners emotions.

• Like 6

The only thing good about it to me is the little extra guitar solo on Out Of The Cradle. The remix was so bad with the slapping of a drum or something on a few songs I had to delete it from my iTunes and Mp3 player
  • Like 1

I went there. I can't listen to the remixed version.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it may have been Segue (your first responder) who posted it, because I know well how he feels about the remix compared to the original.

I only own the remix, at this point. I haven't heard the original mix of the album since 2003, when I actually sold it back (!) to the store where I'd originally bought it.

Back then, I couldn't stand the record. But now that I like it a bit more, I should maybe get the original again sometime, and compare.

I think I agree with this overall, but have the remix on my phone because the original is too loud and distorted on my car stereo.

At home on my semi-decent stereo I prefer the original.

One of the "fan remixes" of the original floating around online is decent too.

I like (no, make that 'love') the remixed one. I can now jam to "Secret Touch" without getting a headache. I would agree, though, that some songs lost a bit of their "anger", but overall I'm much happier with the remix.

Clem

Just for the record (no pun intended) the vinyl is only thing I have heard that I can actually make it through the whole thing. I still would never go out of my way to listen to this record anyway. I have to much Rush music and other bands music that is miles better...
  • Like 3

Since the "Vapor Trails" album was originally released in 2002 I loved the album , and to this day rank it as one of the stronger Rush albums. I agree that the record lost some of its "soul" in the remix , but other nuances in the recording make me like the remix very much as well. If listening in headphones , the remix would be my prefered version. But it's always nice to have the original to get back to as well. Still a killer record imo, remixed or not.
  • Like 4

I too prefer the original though I do think the sound quality can be improved; more separation needed, less compression, or whatever is going on. Problem with the remix is that it went too far and the result sounds clearer but kind of gutless, IMO. A balance between the two would be nice, like what was achieved (it seems to me) on S&A. In the meantime I find myself choosing the original.

Great album despite being much maligned (or misunderstood), kind of like Presence for example. Like Presence, if you wanted HotH again you'll be disappointed, but if you just accept the album on its own terms, it's great. IMO.

"If listening in headphones, the remix would be my preferred version." Good point, I haven't tried but I suspect I'd feel the same way.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Just for the record (no pun intended) the vinyl is only thing I have heard that I can actually make it through the whole thing. I still would never go out of my way to listen to this record anyway. I have to much Rush music and other bands music that is miles better...

So you have the original or remix LP? I have the remix and it sounds pretty good. To me, it sounds better than the CA LP.

I too prefer the original though I do think the sound quality can be improved; more separation needed, less compression, or whatever is going on. Problem with the remix is that it went too far and the result sounds clearer but kind of gutless, IMO. A balance between the two would be nice, like what was achieved (it seems to me) on S&A. In the meantime I find myself choosing the original.

Great album despite being much maligned (or misunderstood), kind of like Presence for example. Like Presence, if you wanted HotH again you'll be disappointed, but if you just accept the album on its own terms, it's great. IMO.

"If listening in headphones, the remix would be my preferred version." Good point, I haven't tried but I suspect I'd feel the same way.

Rutle, you nailed it. Except that headphones make the remix sound worse. To me that is. That's the only way I listen to music.

The original is too compressed, but the remix is way too separated. Like I said, initially it sounded better, but...