Exit Stage Left? Inside Rush's 'Farewell' Show

sun dog

I think there is no doubt that nothing will come from these guys certainly in the next 3-4 years. But I am wondering within a decade or so or right before they hit 70 if the spark reignites and even Neil decides to do some kind of farewell gig. McCartney and the stones are still touring well into their 70s. They all need a rest no doubt but I have a hard time believing that the LA show is the last time you will see those 3 on stage together. Obviously there won't be another full on tour and I am not even thinking they will do a big final show. They have already done the rock and roll hall of fame so obviously that is out (the way the police reunited for that). But nobody that Zeppelin would ever play a show after bonham died and it happened. I feel like these 3 will be on stage together again for something. Whether thats just a full on concert, small residency at one venue or just one performance for something, I just can't see this being it. But again it definitely won't be for a while.

Charlie Watts is a great drummer, very underrated, but I'm going to be kind of blunt, he doesn't play anything like what Neil plays. Neil could probably play a Stones' gig with one hand tied behind his back.

There are some kinds of music that are, well, just pure athleticism, where it's strength, dexterity, speed and endurance. Watts' job is keep a steady beat, and as timekeepers go, he's one of the best, but Neil is a whole other kind of drummer. I have my doubts he'll be able to play anywhere that level when he's in his late-60s. If they don't tour soon, I think they never will, and seeing as it is clear Neil has no intention of touring any time soon, as sad as it is, I think he's finished.

. Playing one-off shows or a few nights in one city is much less demanding, and doesn't involve any of the things Neil would find objectionable about a tour.

That's actually not really true. They're all perfectionists and playing "one offs" would require the same preparation by both the band & crew, as it would for a regular tour. I can't see them investing that amount of time & money into a venture that would essentially be a losing proposition.

I remember John Paul Jones talking about the Led Zeppelin O2 concert, and mentioning the weeks of preparation and rehearsal that went into it, and how disappointed he was that they didn't go on tour. LZ literally rehearsed for a tour and did one concert.

• Like 1

The way I read it was not that Alex's health was the reason they decided to stop touring--it was the reason Neil agreed to do it at the time they did it. Alex wasn't sure how he'd recover from surgery and wasn't sure how his arthritis would feel if they waited, so he said he'd rather do it sooner than later. That was all back in November. Now Alex has mixed feelings about touring, Geddy is all in and Neil is "done." Alex has stated more recently that he could see doing the odd show or few nights of shows here and there rather than a tour. That seems to be a realistic scenario for all involved. Neil's objections are with being away from family for months at a time, and the physical toll of playing 3 hours every other night for months at a time. No need for any of that if it's just one show or 4-5 nights in one city.

Neil doesn't need the band anymore. He's got his books. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him start dabbling in writing fiction before long.

I think you're right, he'll probably get more active as an author.
  • Like 1

The way I read it was not that Alex's health was the reason they decided to stop touring--it was the reason Neil agreed to do it at the time they did it. Alex wasn't sure how he'd recover from surgery and wasn't sure how his arthritis would feel if they waited, so he said he'd rather do it sooner than later. That was all back in November. Now Alex has mixed feelings about touring, Geddy is all in and Neil is "done." Alex has stated more recently that he could see doing the odd show or few nights of shows here and there rather than a tour. That seems to be a realistic scenario for all involved. Neil's objections are with being away from family for months at a time, and the physical toll of playing 3 hours every other night for months at a time. No need for any of that if it's just one show or 4-5 nights in one city.

Neil doesn't need the band anymore. He's got his books. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him start dabbling in writing fiction before long.

Geez. More snooze fest literature is just what this world needs. I prefer him behind a drum kit and nowhere else... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Geez. More snooze fest literature is just what this world needs. I prefer him behind a drum kit and nowhere else...

I thought you didn't like to read? Personally I like his books. I've always enjoyed reading them.

Since I don't travel I really like Neil's books, gives me a glimpse of other places/cultures from a different perspective than your standard visitor.

That's a big reason that I like them as well. Plus the photos are always interesting.

• Like 2

Geez. More snooze fest literature is just what this world needs. I prefer him behind a drum kit and nowhere else...

I thought you didn't like to read? Personally I like his books. I've always enjoyed reading them.

I tried a couple of his books just because it was him and was bored to tears. His blog or whatever it is too. Major bore fest but that's just me....

I tried a couple of his books just because it was him and was bored to tears. His blog or whatever it is too. Major bore fest but that's just me....

I don't think it's just you, but I think there are a lot of people who do like his books.

I don't think it's just you, but I think there are a lot of people who do like his books.

That's cool...

My take on ....the post August 1st Los Angeles Rush.

Rush will record another album - Nothing has ever suggested they won't.

The new album will be released between January 1st 2019 - January 1st 2020.

They will not tour in support of the new album - everything suggests they won't.

They will eventually perform (all three of them) on stage, together, maybe 1-6 more times in their lives ...probably at highly charitable festival events. Or possibly a Farewell of Kings run with 2 nights each at Toronto, New York and LA.

This scenario seems to be the most hopeful yet still realistic.

If Rush never puts out another album or never performs again...I'm okay with that. I have 40+ years and 26 shows of memories.

If Rush makes new music or plays live again...well, we all will be treated to yet another chapter in the amazing book about...

The greatest Rock-n-Roll band of our time and maybe of all time.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly!

. Playing one-off shows or a few nights in one city is much less demanding, and doesn't involve any of the things Neil would find objectionable about a tour.

That's actually not really true. They're all perfectionists and playing "one offs" would require the same preparation by both the band & crew, as it would for a regular tour. I can't see them investing that amount of time & money into a venture that would essentially be a losing proposition.

I don't think a small handful of shows would cost nearly as much to produce as a full tour. Yes they'd have to rehearse, and Neil would be the main guy who needs time to do that. Alex and Geddy pick up their instruments a lot more during their down time. My point is that they'd not be away for months, traveling from city to city, and would only have to prepare for a few performances instead of a prolonged run of shows. they wouldn't have to do a huge production, either. Just because their show/touring machine evolved that way over the years doesn't mean they couldn't go out and just concentrate on the performance, do a shorter show and lose all the extra stuff. Amps, drums, mics, guitars and a backdrop, like the little guys do. The rest is cool, but superfluous, when the band kicks ass.

I too think it's over. They know the clock (physically, anyway) is ticking.

Can't see they'd EVER make another album. Why? Clockwork Angels is the perfect bookend, for one; two, there's no money in albums; three, it's a LOT of work.

And although the idea of a residence at Massey or RC sounds cool, not sure it makes any business or practical sense. They have to sell tickets and make a profit - a lot of the audience wants to hear CLASSICS and I would wager have come to expect a big production.

Edited by upstateNYfan

Reading through this there are too many differing opinions on what everyone thinks they will be doing, how they should be doing it, and that Alex and Geddy should just tour with a different drummer....

Here's the deal...Rush ISN'T the Stones where they can just plug in a back up band, and go through the motions, they aren't Yes who keeps adding or replacing people from the original band that don't want to tour with them anymore, and they aren't the Doobie Brothers who just play simple rock and roll, and it's not a tough thing to play 99% of their music!

Rush plays hard music that is physically and mentally draining, they put on a show that takes some rehearsal time, and prep before the rehearsals...not even mentioning the "stage" show portion!

If you think that these guys are going to do one off shows here and there you're grossly mistaken! If you think they MAY do a run at at a certain theater... I'd doubt it unless they are doing several week long residencies, in a few different markets, and aren't doing the three hour shows that we've gotten accustomed to seeing!

(and I honestly doubt they'd "hire" a drummer, and go out as Rush and play through their setlist)

Rush is Neil, Alex, and Geddy...if they do another tour (in the future, not a next leg from this tour) it will be a smaller scale, a shorter show, and you'd probably see some of the easier tunes being played.

What we've known is probably over...just accept it and move on....

• Like 3

Halfway touched on what I was thinking. They don't need a big production to play live. The second set of R40 proved that, stripped down and just playing live would be enough for me as a fan.

Cool idea, but not sure it's marketable to anyone but the diehards. I don't know, but I'd wager a lot of the audience wants the whole EXPERIENCE.

I'd buy anything he writes in a heartbeat. I don't think there's one book or essay he's written that I don't like. Kevin J. Anderson of course is a much different story.

Not sure how I'd feel about Neil writing fiction. Guess I'd have to try it first. Drumbeats was pretty cool though.

• Like 1

Halfway touched on what I was thinking. They don't need a big production to play live. The second set of R40 proved that, stripped down and just playing live would be enough for me as a fan.

Cool idea, but not sure it's marketable to anyone but the diehards. I don't know, but I'd wager a lot of the audience wants the whole EXPERIENCE.

They've had that experience for 40 years now.

Why does what they do in the future have to be marketable?

Money. Touring is very expensive, even if not over the top staging.

Only guessing here, but if they wanted to I'm sure they can whittle the cost down next time for less than half of what the R40 tour cost and if they cut out the creature comforts (which they probably wouldn't do) it would be reduced even more.

The motivation to go big has now ended. Not sure how much more obvious it can be. The diehards are their only concern now. The seasoned concertgoer just saw his last Rush show.

FWIW, while touring is expensive. No one is suggesting that they'll tour again. A few shows can be done cheaply, and ticket prices can be set to cover the cost of any given show. The only real barriers are their physical health and time. It would take time to prepare them for a performance. That's a given. As far as albums losing money--you seem to forget that Rush fans are MOSTLY diehards that will buy just about any album the band puts out, even if they'll then trash it once they hear the whole thing. If Rush wants to invest the time and money to put another album out, they'll have no problem doing it, especially if their label is backing them. Did CA lose a ton of money for the label? I haven't looked at the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made some money, even if only a little.

PS if doing any show were such a losing proposition, no bands would ever play live or tour. The only way a tour makes money is if each show makes money. That's just simple math. The only thing that kills tours financially are dumb things like hiring full orchestras, and bloating the tour machine full of unnecessary do-dads and people. That and no one buying a ticket. Doing it small can be as cheap as renting a van, and having a tech for each band member, one sound guy, and maybe a lighting guy. Not that Rush would ever do that, but having a stripped down presentation and concentrating solely on the music would cut out a lot of the expense. Travel is also cheap if it's only one or two cities, and one or more band members live close by. Lastly, a Rush show would command a high ticket price if it's a rare show. Plus merch sales. Edited by HalfwayToGone