Alex to have guitar show on new streaming network next year

blueschica

Rush Is A Band is quoting an article on a British website- http://tbivision.com/highlight/2015/09/channels-switch-ott/475681/

that says a new streaming (or as they keep calling it, OTT) service is starting in Canada next year and Alex will have a guitar show on it.

Here is the info from RIAB- neither the original website or RIAB say when the service is supposed to start or if it will be available in the US. (I dunno about these things, all I have is HBOgo for my kids; can people get, say Netflix, all over the world?)

"TBI Vision published an article yesterday on the recent surge in OTT and direct-to-consumer services designed to reach customers who are leaving the traditional TV space. According to the article, a new direct-to-consumer company out of Canada called TableRock Media plans on launching a new guitar show next year with Rush's Alex Lifeson:

... New players are, however, taking channels to market without ever having had exposure on a traditional EPG or pay TV platform. Out of Canada, TableRock was created by former GlassBox TV founders Jeffrey Elliot and Joseph Arcuri, the latter of whom is also a former president of AOL Canada.

Former Discovery Channel Canada president and HDTV founder Ken Murphy heads the new company's board, and with the team in place TableRock is now planning super-niche OTT channels.

"We saw that there is an opportunity in delivering niche content over OTT," Elliot says. "At the start of pay TV people said it was absurd to have a one-genre channel, but they worked, and in 2015 people are willing to pay for well-produced, curated, niche content delivered on-demand."

TableRock's first offerings, launching early next year, will focus on specific interest areas including aviation, guitars and motorcycles. "Each of these are multi-billion dollar industries and cover subjects that go under the radar in terms of conventional TV. They are too niche in the old way of doing TV, but work in OTT."

The company plans to make about 80% of its content, with a guitar show with Rush's Alex Lifeson and a motorcycle show with David Hatch, one of the TableRock exec team and the host of TSN series Motorcycle Experience.

Arcuri says TableRock's OTT channels can co-exist alongside pay TV, Netflix and YouTube because each fulfils a different purpose. "We liken it to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacking," says Arcuri. "Netflix is dinner and YouTube is snacking. We are breakfast and lunch." ...

No further details are available at this time. Thanks to John at Cygnus-X1.net for the heads up."

Edited by blueschica

Interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Yes, makes you wonder if it would be about equipment, or instructional, or more like the Beyond the Lighted Stage movie with interviews with him, although you'd think that type would have it's limitations. But with Alex talking, maybe not! :P Hope it eventually happens!

Edited by blueschica

Yes, makes you wonder if it would be about equipment, or instructional, or more like the Beyond the Lighted Stage movie with interviews with him, although you'd think that type would have it's limitations. But with Alex talking, maybe not! :P Hope it eventually happens!

I would think instructional would have a very narrow audience. Maybe something where they have guest guitarists?

• Like 4

I would think instructional would have a very narrow audience. Maybe something where they have guest guitarists?

I would think that too. Maybe they would invite a guest guitarist and discuss techniques/equipment and such. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing it. (If I can, I'm not in Canada.)

• Like 1

I would think that too. Maybe they would invite a guest guitarist and discuss techniques/equipment and such. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing it. (If I can, I'm not in Canada.)

Hard to tell if it'll be available outside of Canada although I'll bet whatever it is ends up on YouTube pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Hard to tell if it'll be available outside of Canada although I'll bet whatever it is ends up on YouTube pretty quickly.

True, but I'd rather watch it legally if possible.

Oh well sure, but if it's not available outside Canada that may be the only way.

A Canadian version of Live from Daryl's House, eh? I can see that working.

Alex is quirky and entertaining enough to pull off that sort of variety thing.

• Like 2

Heck yeah. I'd love something like that.

Oh well sure, but if it's not available outside Canada that may be the only way.

Something that's available in Canada but US?? My god I've waited my life for this! Lol its always the other way around

• Like 1

I guess this also means Al won't be busy touring through Europe next year.. or did we already accept that?? Edited by MMCXII

I would be enough for me to just sit out on the porch with a camera play for about an hour and play whatever he feels like. Very low key.

He doesn't need to be entertaining, he can just shut up and play the guitar.

• Like 2

I would be enough for me to just sit out on the porch with a camera play for about an hour and play whatever he feels like. Very low key.

I think that might work for us but I'm not sure how much the general public would enjoy watching something like that. I think with his personality he would be great on a show where he was the host and there were different guests. Why should Daryl Hall be the only one?

• Like 1

I think that might work for us but I'm not sure how much the general public would enjoy watching something like that. I think with his personality he would be great on a show where he was the host and there were different guests. Why should Daryl Hall be the only one?

Good point! He's funny as hell but sometimes he needs someone to carry the conversation

• Like 2