Black Sabbath Announce Final Tour

Union 5-3992

I saw them on the 13 tour in November 2013. Ozzy's vocals was awful, but Tony, Geezer and Tommy played like there was no tomorrow, so the show overall was awesome! I hope I'll be able to see them this time around!

I caught the NY show in March of 2014 and Ozzy was awesome. On days, off days.

Yeah, Ozzy has never been the most consistent when it comes to vocals live. I think fans should be used to his good day/bad day singing by now. That's been his usual for years. I think most fans are still shocked he makes it up on stage still and probably thought he wouldn't make it this far. I give him a pass anytime he has an off night. He's Ozzy Osbourne and has earned the right to have off nights.

I don't know about "earning" that right, since he's being paid to perform. However, fans paying to see Ozzy today should realize you're paying for the experience of seeing Sabbath with Ozzy. If you expect to hear him at the peak of his ability live you'll have to listen to a bootleg from the 70s.

:goodone:

Absolutely true, Rick. I would have love to have seen them on Masters of Reality, but alas I was eight years old and, not being Sabbath fans themselves, my parents weren't keen on sending their eight year old daughter to a Black Sabbath concert. :eh:

I did see them in the 80's with Ian Gillan and it was a pretty underwhelming show, iirc. Muddy sound and the songs just didn't sound right with Gillan out front.

I'd love to see them now, but I'm a bigger fan of the Butler/Ward rhythm section fan (one of my top in rock) and Bill can't play anymore (sadly ... treat yourselves well young ones :codger: ). For me, without both of them, there isn't much point going. I was surprised they sounded as great as they did on 13 (Ozzy can still sing! :o ), but, for me, no Butler/Ward equals no Black Sabbath.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

I saw them on the 13 tour in November 2013. Ozzy's vocals was awful, but Tony, Geezer and Tommy played like there was no tomorrow, so the show overall was awesome! I hope I'll be able to see them this time around!

Yeah, Ozzy has never been the most consistent when it comes to vocals live. I think fans should be used to his good day/bad day singing by now. That's been his usual for years. I think most fans are still shocked he makes it up on stage still and probably thought he wouldn't make it this far. I give him a pass anytime he has an off night. He's Ozzy Osbourne and has earned the right to have off nights.

I don't know about "earning" that right, since he's being paid to perform. However, fans paying to see Ozzy today should realize you're paying for the experience of seeing Sabbath with Ozzy. If you expect to hear him at the peak of his ability live you'll have to listen to a bootleg from the 70s.

Absolutely true, Rick. I would have love to have seen them on Masters of Reality, but alas I was eight years old and, not being Sabbath fans themselves, my parents weren't keen on sending their eight year old daughter to a Black Sabbath concert. :eh:

I did see them in the 80's with Ian Gillan and it was a pretty underwhelming show, iirc. Muddy sound and the songs just didn't sound right with Gillan out front.

I'd love to see them now, but I'm a bigger fan of the Butler/Ward rhythm section fan (one of my top in rock) and Bill can't play anymore (sadly ... treat yourselves well young ones :codger: ). For me, without both of them, there isn't much point going. I was surprised they sounded as great as they did on 13 (Ozzy can still sing! :o ), but, for me, no Butler/Ward equals no Black Sabbath.

I've never heard that take before. A lot of people say no Ozzy, no Black Sabbath. Or no Iommi, no Sabbath since his riffs made the band what they are, and for better or worse he was the one who always kept the band going. To me, Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath. The band simply couldn't exist without him.

• Like 2

I've never heard that take before. A lot of people say no Ozzy, no Black Sabbath. Or no Iommi, no Sabbath since his riffs made the band what they are, and for better or worse he was the one who always kept the band going. To me, Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath. The band simply couldn't exist without him.

the early classic records wouldn't be the same if you took geezer or bill away. they're all important

• Like 3

I'd like Sabs to improve the setlist a little: I know there are many tracks totally out of range for Ozzy now (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the first I can think of) and the core of the setlist is wide, but there are still gems never played since the 70s or never played at all.

Looking For Today, Sabbra Cadabra and something from Sabotage fill my dreams.

They haven't changed the set list in 20 years for the most part, other than the RJD reunion years. It'll be no different.

To me, Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath. The band simply couldn't exist without him.

Yep. No doubt all 4 guys contributed to making that 1970-1978 period as over-the-top great as it was. But THE most essential ingredient in Black Sabbath is Tony Iommi's riffing. And not just the riffs themselves, but also the signature sound and style with which he delivers them. The man is like doom personified, musically speaking. I've often wondered how the development of heavy metal might've been different had he not had that terrible accident and had to alter his playing style.

As far as this tour goes, I got 5th row in Vegas with the soundcheck package. :)

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 2

I'd like Sabs to improve the setlist a little: I know there are many tracks totally out of range for Ozzy now (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the first I can think of) and the core of the setlist is wide, but there are still gems never played since the 70s or never played at all.

They haven't changed the set list in 20 years for the most part, other than the RJD reunion years. It'll be no different.

Well, they gave us Spiral Architect, After Forever, Behind The Wall Of Sleep, Under The Sun as no-core setlist, so there would be room for some unexpected number if they leave behind '13' tracks this time.

Well, they gave us Spiral Architect, After Forever, Behind The Wall Of Sleep, Under The Sun as no-core setlist, so there would be room for some unexpected number if they leave behind '13' tracks this time.

I hope you're right, although Behind the Wall of Sleep was on Reunion, and I think Ozzy has been doing that solo as well, but I'm not positive.

I'm going.

My top 5 hopeful for the setlist

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

I wouldn't get my hopes too high for Hole In The Sky or Hand Of Doom. I don't think those have been played since the 70s. If they have, it wasn't played that often. Ozzy would have serious trouble hitting those high notes on Hole In The Sky now as well.

The other three got a good shot at being played. They've been done within the last 10 years.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I'm going.

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

I wouldn't get my hopes too high for Hole In The Sky or Hand Of Doom. I don't think those have been played since the 70s. If they have, it wasn't played that often. Ozzy would have serious trouble hitting those high notes on Hole In The Sky now as well.

The other three got a good shot at being played. They've been done within the last 10 years.

Hole in the Sky is one of my favorite Sabbath tunes. Ozzy couldn't do that one now. Not without changing the octave completely.

I'm going.

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

Hole in the Sky is one of my favorite Sabbath tunes. Ozzy couldn't do that one now. Not without changing the octave completely.

They could drop the key. Like they've always done for Ozzy.

I'm going.

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

Gotta admit hand of doom would be nice.

All i know is i was happy when they did into the void on 13 tour

I'm going.

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

All i know is i was happy when they did into the void on 13 tour

I love Master Of Reality. It would be the best choice for an entire album being played.

I wonder if Tony still plays the flute?

• Like 1

I'm going.

Sweet Leaf

After Forever

Hand Of Doom

Hole In The Sky

The Wizard

They could drop the key. Like they've always done for Ozzy.

True.

But they rarely play anything off Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabatoge and the reason for that has got to be the high notes are just too difficult for Ozzy to do even with the key dropped. At least that's the only reason I can think of.

The only version of Symptom they've done recently is an instrumental one, no vocals.

Since it's the last tour maybe Ozzy will take the same approach as Geddy did on R40 and say "f**k it, if this is our last tour, I wanna sing some stuff I haven't done in a long time".

Of course, if Ozzy did say that then "f**k" would be used a lot more :LOL: