For younger Rush fans, what got you into these guys?

djflex

I'm 18. I saw them in concert when I was 15 and a half and they've been my favorite ever since. I mean, I did like some of their songs growing up, only because they're my dad's favorite band too. My sister and I would always ask him to put on Rush in Rio (or as we called it, "The Dragon DVD") because of the One Little Victory intro.

This is the kind of question I would ask the younger folks over at the YESfans forum. LOL. Rush seem to have some kind of hipster street cred which makes them appeal to younger fans that most prog bands don't have(Dream Theater and Pink Floyd being two exceptions). Anyway, I won't answer officially for myself because I'm way too old. Lol. Edited by New_World_Man

I'm 19 now and first discovered rush when I was around 14 or 15... I think the first song that I was exposed to was YYZ through Guitar Hero Smash Hits. The only reason I was into older music was because this game and Rockband really got me into it. I remember around the same time I was really into Pink Floyd and the messages in their music resonated with me immensely because I had faced similar situations that Roger Waters had written about (isolation, loss of a parent (his dad and my mom to cancer)). And then I moved away from them because it was a little to self absorbed in the late 70's early 80's floyd (The Wall & Final Cut). Fast forward six months, 10th grade english teacher suggested I listen to some Rush, and that same year rush was featured in Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock with the entire 2112 suite... I fell in love with that composition and then started to look into them more. I remember one day Time Machine Tour was about to be released, and it was featured on VH1 Classic. I watched the condensed version and saw how awesome these old guys really were! I bought the Blu-Ray the next day along with Beyond the Lighted Stage and the rest is history. Once I started delving into the back catalog and found out what happened to Neil in the late 90's and found out how awesome Alex and Geddy are, Rush has become a lifestyle. Its lead to me picking up Bass Guitar and most recently getting a YYZ morse code Tattoo... Rush flows through my veins...

Side Note: My parents were never/are not into Hard Rock, my dad is into disco and weird genres as a dj, and my mom was into Mowtown, Billy Joel, The Eagles, and a couple softer rock groups..

I'm 19 now, and when I was about 15 or 16 I stumbled across Tom Sawyer. It captured my interest and made me want to check out the rest of Moving Pictures, which I came to love. I ventured onto 2112 next and it completely blew me away, but for some reason I didn't go much further from there. About two years ago I began digging deeper into their catalogue starting with AFTK and Grace Under Pressure. These albums introduced me to some of their deeper cuts and kick started my love for the band. From then on I have been completely hooked, and seeing them live in Vancouver this summer further solidified that fact :yes: Edited by lemonycake
  • Like 4

my parents didn't give a shit about rush

I always was aware of them, if you own a radio you've heard 4 or 5 songs already and eventually I listened to the albums (streaming on their myspace page) and I was into it

My dad had tried for a long time to get me to like Moving Pictures (only album he had). And I really hated the album, I remember I could not stand Geddy´s voice! ( :o )

And then Rush came to my country on their Time Machine Tour. And since they played whole Moving Pictures, then my dad wanted to go (since he thought it was their only good album). So he got some tickets from his job and forced me to join him. So I was thinking: Sure, why not... it´s free....

And then... when they played Stick It Out, I was like: WOW! This is awesome! :o

So when I got home, I started to collect all their albums and listened like crazy. I remember Snakes & Arrows was my first favorite album. I was listening to it all the time.

And Hemispheres and 2112 was the last albums I was listening to. I just heard them a couple of months before they released Clockwork Angels.

I was not very much into Prog Rock back then. It was more simple rock, such as Queen and Bad Company, so that is why I waited with Hemispheres and 2112. But when I heard them the first time. I was stuck right away and started to explore more Prog rock!

And now I am teaching my dad to like Rush. He have recently started to listen to Caress Of Steel. (Before that, it was only Moving Pictures and 2112).

Just so you know, Zumbi, Queen is NOT "simple rock." But, cool story.

Anyway, it was simple for me. Dad has always loved Rush. It was always on in the car, and I never really paid much attention. Until I heard YYZ, that is. I asked for Snakes & Arrows Live for my tenth birthday, and the rest was history.

I'm 16 at the moment, and Rush has been my favourite band since I was about 7. I had to stay at my uncles house for a week and all I had to entertain myself with was my uncles CD collection. So I listened to some Deep Purple CD's and some Sabbath which I thought was awesome. However, I then put in 2112 and from that point on.. I've been hooked for almost 10 years now. On the car ride home from my uncles I begged my mom to pick me up more Rush CD's which I then got my own copy of 2112 and a copy of Moving Pictures. Good times :P

I'm 16. I just stumbled upon them a year and a half ago while trying to explore past the terrible music everyone else talked about. I vaguely remembered their presence in I Love You, Man, and decided to give them a shot. Utter and complete transformation of my musical interests. I have spent the past however long just loving the hell out of these guys! Consider this my confession: Only two years ago I was listening to teen rock garbage like Green Day and My Chemical Romance thinking it was the best out there. Better than all the classic rock I'd listened to thanks to Guitar Hero and an AC/DC and Metallica phase I had in 4th grade. Now, here I am utterly upset that I hadn't started listening to Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, or Genesis or whatever sooner! I can't thank relatives or friends for what my musical tastes are now, and am for the most part ignored when I try and talk about them. However, that's okay! I feel like I've finally found some of what I've been looking for all my life in entertainment. Let me tall you, I never joined a Fall Out Boy forum back then :P

TL;DR I used to listen to garbage music until Rush opened the floodgates.

• Like 3

I'm 25, when I was 16 I saw commercials on TV for Rush in Vancouver on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I wanted to go see them, but my parents didn't want to travel to see a band that I didn't actually know any songs of. So I stole Counterparts and Retrospective II from my dad. Nobody's Hero and Marathon hooked me instantly. 9 years later and I'm addicted.

Did you get to see them on the Snakes Tour?

No, I first saw them on the Clockwork Angels Tour. :(

Thats to bad. :(

How about only getting one word right in a three word post? ..now THAT'S too bad! ;)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I was curious. I bought Moving Pictures. I was blown away.
  • Like 2

I'm 25, when I was 16 I saw commercials on TV for Rush in Vancouver on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I wanted to go see them, but my parents didn't want to travel to see a band that I didn't actually know any songs of. So I stole Counterparts and Retrospective II from my dad. Nobody's Hero and Marathon hooked me instantly. 9 years later and I'm addicted.

Did you get to see them on the Snakes Tour?

No, I first saw them on the Clockwork Angels Tour. :(

Thats to bad. :(

How about only getting one word right in a three word post? ..now THAT'S too bad! ;)

His English is way better than my Swedish, I can tell you that!

:cheers:

• Like 2