For younger Rush fans, what got you into these guys?

djflex

were your parents fans? Did you just stumble across the band? Are you a musician and found them that way?

There were alot of younger fans at R40 , more than I've seen at past shows recently.

Anyways, Im just curious..

Im 18 now, but when I was in grade 7, I was just starting to play drums. My music teacher suggested I listed to The Who, Led Zeppelin, and of course Rush to hear some amazing drumming. Rush's musician ship stood out to me the most and since then they have been my favourite band. Ended up seeing them on the CA tour in Hamilton, and the R40 tour in Toronto. The greatest shows iv ever seen. Edited by TheWatchMaker97
  • Like 9

Im 18 now, but when I was in grade 7, I was just starting to play drums. My music teacher suggested I listed to The Who, Led Zeppelin, and of course Rush to hear some amazing drumming. Rush's musician ship stood out to me the most and since then they have been my favourite band. Ended up seeing them on the CA tour in Hamilton, and the R40 tour in Toronto. The greatest shows iv ever seen.

Cool. Thats a good story

• Like 2

I'd always known of their existence because my cousin and uncle are super-fans, but it was BTLS that really sparked my interest
  • Like 3

Im 18 now, but when I was in grade 7, I was just starting to play drums. My music teacher suggested I listed to The Who, Led Zeppelin, and of course Rush to hear some amazing drumming. Rush's musician ship stood out to me the most and since then they have been my favourite band. Ended up seeing them on the CA tour in Hamilton, and the R40 tour in Toronto. The greatest shows iv ever seen.

Rush's musician ship blew me away too. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I stepped out onto that fine vessel
  • Like 6

I was a big fan of kiss when I was around 12...wait back up...when I was 5 I used to nag my Mom to play the London cast original concept album for Jesus Christ Superstar...the one with Ian Gillian....back to Kiss...I got tired of them after a couple years...got into Zep...began playing drums at 11-12 so started listening to more than Kiss...bought Modern Drummer with NP cover ( PW era hemispheres cover)...teacher told me to check em out...got PW when it was new...loved it...clean sounds..technically sharp...concept stuff ( remember I loved JCS)...been a fan since 1980.....
  • Like 2

My dad used to play in garage bands back in the eighties, where his friend introduced him to Rush by playing 2112 and AFTK for one of their bands and having them learn it. From there my dad found the early eighties stuff and liked it, but stopped once he heard New World Man, hating it at the time (one of his favorites now). Then, years later, when I was in seventh or eighth grade and was really starting to pick up on my discovery of classic rock and my live of music which began in 6th grade, my dad changed his cell phone ringtone to Closer To The Heart (starting right where Ged starts singing) by recording it from the radio. After a while of hearing his new ringtone, I just had to ask, "Dad, is that a girl singing on your phone?"

"No, no, son. That's Geddy Lee of Rush."

"Rush?"

And thus it began. Once he had me listen to 2112 I was absolutely hooked, and by the time at the start of my freshman year he came to pick me up from school one day with his new A Farewell To Kings CD from Amazon, I was only a few full listen-throughs of that masterpiece to discovering the name of my forever second favorite band. I've become a bigger fan than him over the past few years, because I'm rather obsessive about music and knowing whatever I can remember about what I find myself listening to (and enjoying), but I've also increased his appreciation and awareness of Rush by quite a bit and now they're one of his all time favorites too, especially now that he likes the eighties stuff and I've exposed him to the nineties and 2000s stuff and he's liked a lot of that (especially CA). And of course, seeing R40 with my dad back in June was the ultimate Rush experience for us, especially since they played both of our favorite Rush songs, Cygnus X-1 Book I for me, Xanadu for him.

On a side note, a Rush got me looking gradually deeper into prog rock, and about a year after I first introduced my dad to Dream Theater after having found a cheap used CD of Images and Words, he's now a much bigger Dream Theater fan than me. Loves that band to death, and I quite like them too.

• Like 2

Does 25 count as younger?

My Dad was a big Rush fan, but the way he tried to force me to listen to them was kind of obnoxious. I remember telling him that Rush was "old and crusty." But then one day on my 7th grade summer vacation I was using the (dial up) internet and wanted some music to listen to while things loaded, so I popped in the closest CD, which was 2112. I think It being my idea to listen to it, and me not being told what to like, exactly, let me experience it for myself.

I got a couple of other friends hooked to Rush too, but Rush was just sort of one of the bands in the loop. What sealed my fandom so completely was when I got a hold of Vapor Trails. It had come out a couple years before, and unlike Styx or Ozzy or whoever else we were listening to, it sounded to me like Rush was the only classic band that could take on modern sounds.

• Like 3

It is fascinating how, over time, the perception and open-minded acceptance has changed -

I'm not a younger fan now, but I "found" RUSH when I was 10 back in 1977-78 .. I loved Geddy's voice right off the bat, and because my Dad was a musician, and my Mom loved music too, I latched on to the fact that RUSH was doing things in their music that seemed to show that they were open-mined and came from diverse influences ..

I first saw them when I was 12, at the Palladium in NYC on the Permanent Waves tour ... Incredible does not describe that experience ..

I love the classical guitar in the songs, and while I cannot put my finger on why, the members of RUSH seemed like oddballs and outsiders ( basically, the way I felt about myself )

We had Geddy with his voice and long hair, and Alex definitely approached the guitar in a different way, and Neil, who whenever I saw photos, he was sitting quietly with a book and a cigarette ..

Pretty much the only other people who knew RUSH were the older kids in school, and ironically it was the metalheads who loved them - not the YES/ELP crowd, who tended to look down on them ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

It is fascinating how, over time, the perception and open-minded acceptance has changed -

I'm not a younger fan now, but I "found" RUSH when I was 10 back in 1977-78 .. I loved Geddy's voice right off the bat, and because my Dad was a musician, and my Mom loved music too, I latched on to the fact that RUSH was doing things in their music that seemed to show that they were open-mined and came from diverse influences ..

I first saw them when I was 12, at the Palladium in NYC on the Permanent Waves tour ... Incredible does not describe that experience ..

I love the classical guitar in the songs, and while I cannot put my finger on why, the members of RUSH seemed like oddballs and outsiders ( basically, the way I felt about myself )

We had Geddy with his voice and long hair, and Alex definitely approached the guitar in a different way, and Neil, who whenever I saw photos, he was sitting quietly with a book and a cigarette ..

Pretty much the only other people who knew RUSH were the older kids in school, and ironically it was the metalheads who loved them - not the YES/ELP crowd, who tended to look down on them ..

The Yes, ELP, Genesis, early Floyd, King Crimson crowd have always looked down on Rush because they never did anything as almost unnecessarily complicated as Supper's Ready or Close To The Edge, because they came after all of those bands had almost run their whole classic course or were already dead (minus Floyd, who were entering their commercial and arguably artistic peak, good for them), because they took ideas of heaviness and volume from Sabbath and Zeppelin, who were of course seen as below the talent requirement by the snooty prog-heads, and because Rush brought little to the table of progressive rock which jadn't already been done and (so they thought) perfected (imo, it was Hemispheres which would take classic progressive rock to its ultimate end and prove that one could go absolutely no further with the classic formula, quickly after that, The Wall came out and a new formula was established: blend the old with the new, the new in this case being the new wave and such, which Rush excelled at). Meanwhile, aside from Sabbath, most still relevant metal (not Proto-metal or anything like that, mind you, but only what can still be called metal) began around the time of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, and most all of those bands were the first ones to be inspired by and the first ones to speak the praises of this crazy Canadian prog rock band called Rush, who at the time chose to follow the new wave rather than their suddenly existant musical offspring. However, despite the fact that Rush was entering its synth period, those who discovered Rush either during or after their most classic era (2112-MP) were immediately much more likely to sing the band's praises through their own music, from Metallica to The Smashing Pumpkins to Dream Theater to the Foo Fighters to Jack Black, hindsight is 20/20, present sight is forever envied, and future sight is mostly dismissive. Sad reality that the fans of Rush's musical heroes have a greater tendency to ignore them for being a bit late to the party and a bit of a cross between genres.

Rush's musician ship blew me away too. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I stepped out onto that fine vessel

http://www.walyou.com/img/guitar-boat-acoustic-guitar-creation-1.jpg
  • Like 3

I'm 25, when I was 16 I saw commercials on TV for Rush in Vancouver on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I wanted to go see them, but my parents didn't want to travel to see a band that I didn't actually know any songs of. So I stole Counterparts and Retrospective II from my dad. Nobody's Hero and Marathon hooked me instantly. 9 years later and I'm addicted.

I'm not exactly young (33) but didn't get into them until their hiatus.

I had always liked the songs I heard on the radio but never really looked into them further.

One day I was at a local record store and they had used copies of Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, and Fly By Night on CD, for $3 each.

I hated Hemispheres and FBN at first, and really only listened to the singles on the other 2 for a long time. One day I went on a somewhat long drive and grabbed Permanent Waves to listen to on a whim. When Natural Science came on is when they finally "clicked" with me! Which probably explains why to this day it's one of my favorites (if not all time favorite) songs by them.

My dad had tried for a long time to get me to like Moving Pictures (only album he had). And I really hated the album, I remember I could not stand Geddy´s voice! ( :o )

And then Rush came to my country on their Time Machine Tour. And since they played whole Moving Pictures, then my dad wanted to go (since he thought it was their only good album). So he got some tickets from his job and forced me to join him. So I was thinking: Sure, why not... it´s free....

And then... when they played Stick It Out, I was like: WOW! This is awesome! :o

So when I got home, I started to collect all their albums and listened like crazy. I remember Snakes & Arrows was my first favorite album. I was listening to it all the time.

And Hemispheres and 2112 was the last albums I was listening to. I just heard them a couple of months before they released Clockwork Angels.

I was not very much into Prog Rock back then. It was more simple rock, such as Queen and Bad Company, so that is why I waited with Hemispheres and 2112. But when I heard them the first time. I was stuck right away and started to explore more Prog rock!

And now I am teaching my dad to like Rush. He have recently started to listen to Caress Of Steel. (Before that, it was only Moving Pictures and 2112).

• Like 1

I'm 25, when I was 16 I saw commercials on TV for Rush in Vancouver on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I wanted to go see them, but my parents didn't want to travel to see a band that I didn't actually know any songs of. So I stole Counterparts and Retrospective II from my dad. Nobody's Hero and Marathon hooked me instantly. 9 years later and I'm addicted.

Did you get to see them on the Snakes Tour?

No, I first saw them on the Clockwork Angels Tour. :(

No, I first saw them on the Clockwork Angels Tour. :(

Thats to bad. :(

The very first Rush song I heard was The Spirit of Radio. Two classmates of mine played it to me and I got intrested in starting listening. At the time when I started listening to the band they had just been announced as headliners for Sweden Rock Festival 2013 which takes place about 70 km from my home. I got there to see them and it was amazing. The album Permanent Waves will always have a very special place in my heart since the first Rush song I heard is on that album, and it was also the first Rush album I bought a physical copy of. :rush:
  • Like 2

I'm 27, so I guess that's relatively young?

I discovered the band in 2002, at about the same time Vapor Trails was released. They announced a tour date for Edmonton, and I decided that I wanted to go. Funny thing is though, I'd never really listened to their music at the time but I decided that I wanted to go see them. I'd been to 2 concerts already and enjoyed it, and I'd heard that Rush were a good band to see. So I got the tickets and set about getting familiar with their music.

I first noticed how different they sounded to the bands I already liked - they weren't as heavy as Iron Maiden or Metallica. Still liked the music, and loved the variety of their catalog - they sounded so different through the various parts of their career.

But it was seeing them live that turned me into a huge fan. They played everything the way it sounded on record - the guitar solos, drum fills, and all. It was tough music to play, but they made it look so easy. And of course, as an amateur drummer, I found Neil's performance amazing. The solo... and I thought it was so cool the way the whole kit shook as he played :LOL:

So the rest is history. I've been fortunate to see them in concert 8 times and recruit one new fan, haha :cool: