You would think Neil would have updated his site by now?

Jsteinrush

OK, I'll just say it: despite his amazing percussion prowess, his blogs, and his books... Neil is still a DICK. :D

I have heard this by many, I remember reading an interview with joey jordison who was a fan of his saying he just doesnt like his attitude and that basically yeah he's a dick. It surprise me to hear this because you wouldn't tell it the way he presents himself on his videos and in interviews. does he get along with anyone? and how rude is he to people in front of their faces. is it more that he's anti social or he is literally a dick to people in front of them.

On the road, to people he doesn't know, he's standoffish, but that's just a self-defense mechanism to cope with his own inner issues. He gets along very well with Michael and a few other insiders ("yes" men) and has very little to do with anyone else.

also I've heard you comment about him but how are geddy and alex in that regard, any surprises there?

They are the complete opposite of Neil on the road. Very nice, very personable, and guys you'd wanna sit down and have a drink with. Here's the thing, if you were Geddy or Alex, how would you feel about basically being held hostage by your drummer for the last 10 years or so? How would you feel if almost every aspect of your last tour was dictated by, well... by a dictator? That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed by anyone on the inside.

• Like 5

Let's think of it like this:

For those who were around in 1974, try to remember back to what your life was like

It was a long time ago

And Neil has been in this band since then - writing, creating, on the road, recording, getting married, mourning the unexpected losses of his daughter and wife, and more writing, recording and touring

It might have come to an end a few weeks ago

To put it in perspective, I get emotional when my favorite TV show goes off the air ..

It is natural to reflect back, not just on a TV show, but ALL OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN LIFE SINCE THAT TV SHOW

Neil has a lot to digest from the past 40 years

Let's just say that blogging is, understandably and sanely, not his priority

Very good points indeed.

On the road, to people he doesn't know, he's standoffish, but that's just a self-defense mechanism to cope with his own inner issues. He gets along very well with Michael and a few other insiders ("yes" men) and has very little to do with anyone else.

also I've heard you comment about him but how are geddy and alex in that regard, any surprises there?

They are the complete opposite of Neil on the road. Very nice, very personable, and guys you'd wanna sit down and have a drink with. Here's the thing, if you were Geddy or Alex, how would you feel about basically being held hostage by your drummer for the last 10 years or so? How would you feel if almost every aspect of your last tour was dictated by, well... by a dictator? That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed by anyone on the inside.

That is sad. I've got nothing against Neil (never met him, and I can sympathize with his social issues) but it is unfortunate that he doesn't act better towards his bandmates/friends he's had for 41 years now. Maybe they're no longer his friends and are indeed just "the guys at work."

So do Geddy/Alex get along with him these days and if not i guess they are just making show when they talk about him in interviews and it seems like everyone in the band gets along. I guess it should have been obvious all these years seeing as how they RARELY ever do interviews together. its always get/alex and neil separately.

When you say the last tour he was the dictator, was it only R40 or has he always been that way for the last couple decades. I'm wondering if post the tragedies his attitude has been harsh or you think he's always been a dick as you say since 1974, lol.

So do Geddy/Alex get along with him these days and if not i guess they are just making show when they talk about him in interviews and it seems like everyone in the band gets along. I guess it should have been obvious all these years seeing as how they RARELY ever do interviews together. its always get/alex and neil separately.

I think their relationship is "professional". When I hear talk about the trips they take together or the holiday celebrations at their homes, Neil is never included in the conversation. Even on the road, I've never seen Neil really interact with them in any great detail, other than soundcheck and the like. Of course, you'll never hear any of them publically talk bad about each other - it's just not their nature. But the rumblings under the surface can't be denied. I guess what I'm saying is that other than professionally, they don't seem to pal around together.

When you say the last tour he was the dictator, was it only R40 or has he always been that way for the last couple decades. I'm wondering if post the tragedies his attitude has been harsh or you think he's always been a dick as you say since 1974, lol.

No, I don't think he's always been a dick, but time and life's circumstances have a way of changing one's attitude and way of thinking. It would be naive to think that the tragidies didn't alter his outlook on life. The disdain towards touring came on gradually, but seems to really have accelerated in the last couple of tours. His priorities shifted more towards family, obviously. This tour was short, because that's how he wanted it. There was no overseas leg, because he didn't want one. They ended in LA, because that's what he wanted. When his "demands" hit the table, there was NO bargaining. It was take it or leave it and understand that this is the last time I'm doing this. So no, he wasn't always the "do it my way or I'm taking my ball and going home" dick that he is today. That's just what he evolved into. In all fairness though, after similar family tragedies, who among us would still be the same person we were prior? Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 3

Yeah I can completely understand his demeanour after what he went through, I know of people in similar situations where everything crumbles after losing a loved one, particularly a child. So the fact that he managed to come back, do 6 amazing tours release a couple of albums, and grab a ton of new fans who never appreciated this band - what more could you ask for. And I get the sense from one of Alex's recent interviews that he made a comment about how there are no harsh feelings towards Neil that he doesnt wanna continue considering everything he has gone through.

I do find some of your observations interesting although predictable I guess. Its apparent every time you see Geddy/Alex the joy and fun they have together even after knowing each other for so long. It seems like they don't get bored of each others company. No surprise though after 40+ years for neil that chemistry might have fizzled, I'm sure they were closer back in the day but priorities have clearly changed.

If the disdain came over the last couple tours makes complete sense - they were doing tmt, clockwork every year from 2010-13. And he would have just had his kid around the start of that so can completely understand he would want to be done with this. i was just curious if his dislike of touring was there in the 80s, 90s etc. but makes complete sense.

BTW, did you have any info on the release date for the R40 blu ray?

Edited by mrfriendly

it's possible to love someone and still be thoroughly irritated with them. i doubt that the relationship between those guys is as simple as 'it's strictly professional.' what Alex and Geddy want regarding the band might be different than what Neil wants but I doubt this is any kind of acrimonious divorce.

I poke fun at Neil occasionally on this board, but honestly, I get him. I don't believe he's a "dick", he's just introverted. He gets his energy either from solitary activities or being with family and close friends. He'd rather have a select few deep interactions and relationships than have 100 shallower ones. I can totally relate to that and understand how such a person can be misunderstood as anti-social when in actuality, they probably harbor nothing personal against the more extroverted people who don't really know them as well. And think about how exhausting it must be (over decades!) to have fan after fan after fan trying to make a personal connection with you based on nothing but the work you do professionally. I WISH Neil could relax a little more about it, but I understand why it's difficult for him. As for the blog entry, I doubt he's put it off because it's too painful. Quite the opposite most likely. He's SO happy to be free of the expectation of another Rush tour or record, he's probably been too busy to even think about it. Just look at the way he gleefully ran up to Alex and Geddy in L.A. and then bounded off the stage. He's happy that it's over, which is sad for US, but just "how it is".
  • Like 3

BTW, did you have any info on the release date for the R40 blu ray?

No, but honestly, I don't really follow that kind of thing.

it's possible to love someone and still be thoroughly irritated with them.

Absolutely. There are planty of people in my life who I love, but don't really care to be around. :P

i doubt that the relationship between those guys is as simple as 'it's strictly professional.' what Alex and Geddy want regarding the band might be different than what Neil wants but I doubt this is any kind of acrimonious divorce.

No, probably not. I see it as more of a hands tied situation being handled with kid gloves. Time softens most wounds and this latest one is still pretty fresh so, only time will tell. And there in lies the rub, IMO. G&A are basically back in a holding pattern, waiting for the emporer to decide whether they keep making music or not. And to tell you the truth, I think it's a pretty shitty position to be in. As "founders" of the band, they have to have some strong feelings about it being put on life support with Neil in control of the plug. Right now, everyone has gone their separate ways, which is pretty normal post tour behavior. While their major touring days are over, it'll be interesting to see if the great one eventually comes around. Personally, I'm not optimistic...

FOH is no phony or pretender

Awe, thank you! That means a lot and is greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

FOH, do you think Geddy and Alex would ever consider continuing Rush with another drummer? Or maybe change the band name, but still play Rush material to go with new music (with a different drummer)? I used to think there was zero chance of that, but I agree with you that it must be awkward for them as founders to have to wait on Neil to know their future.

FOH, so what happens to the people in the rush camp/crew behind the scenes, like managers and business people that handle that aspect of that band. Is the band essentially over with regards to handling their business needs. I'd imagine these people have other clients, but if touring and releases are essentially done for Rush (aside from the R40 disc) what exactly is their job for them now?

I have a question too that I just remembered.....

What did Geddy mean when at the end of the LA show he said "On behalf of the organization...." (I'm not sure those were his exact words - I'm going from memory)? Was he referring to Anthem? If so, why did he say that? Does Anthem strictly belong to Rush?

I have a question too that I just remembered.....

What did Geddy mean when at the end of the LA show he said "On behalf of the organization...." (I'm not sure those were his exact words - I'm going from memory)? Was he referring to Anthem? If so, why did he say that? Does Anthem strictly belong to Rush?

He said something along the lines of "on behalf of the entire rush organization…" i think he basically just meant everyone involved in rush land - managers, crew members, tour personnel etc. just a final thank you for coming out all these years. nothing more than that really. i guess you could say the people involved with anthem handling rush business are included in that thank you.

I poke fun at Neil occasionally on this board, but honestly, I get him. I don't believe he's a "dick", he's just introverted. He gets his energy either from solitary activities or being with family and close friends. He'd rather have a select few deep interactions and relationships than have 100 shallower ones. I can totally relate to that and understand how such a person can be misunderstood as anti-social when in actuality, they probably harbor nothing personal against the more extroverted people who don't really know them as well. And think about how exhausting it must be (over decades!) to have fan after fan after fan trying to make a personal connection with you based on nothing but the work you do professionally. I WISH Neil could relax a little more about it, but I understand why it's difficult for him. As for the blog entry, I doubt he's put it off because it's too painful. Quite the opposite most likely. He's SO happy to be free of the expectation of another Rush tour or record, he's probably been too busy to even think about it. Just look at the way he gleefully ran up to Alex and Geddy in L.A. and then bounded off the stage. He's happy that it's over, which is sad for US, but just "how it is".

this has always been my thinking, makes complete sense. one thing i've always wondered though, knowing all this - why did he write all these books highlighting so many personal things particularly ghost rider. we know music and reading were obviously his first two passions and he succeeded at both with the writing mainly being lyrics for rock songs. I'm sure if the music thing didn't work out he could have easily found a career writing novels and maybe he would have focused on fiction writing. after the band took off i guess writing non-fiction seemed like something to do to fulfill his other passion but knowing his general attitude why would he write in so much depth all of these personal issues he went through. he must know practically 98% of people buying these books are die hard rush fans.

i think in roadshow he mentioned something along the lines of being irritated that anytime he signed a copy of a book or he came across someone discussing his books it was basically just some rush fan who wanted to read about him. i get the sense he was hoping more non-rock fans maybe motorcycle people would read his books.

Edited by mrfriendly

FOH, do you think Geddy and Alex would ever consider continuing Rush with another drummer?

Personally, I don't think so. It just wouldn't be "Rush".

FOH, so what happens to the people in the rush camp/crew behind the scenes, like managers and business people that handle that aspect of that band. Is the band essentially over with regards to handling their business needs. I'd imagine these people have other clients, but if touring and releases are essentially done for Rush (aside from the R40 disc) what exactly is their job for them now?

Most everyone has other clients (bands) that they work for or production companies of their own. Howard owns Production Design International (http://www.pdifx.com/). Donovan (their tour manager) is employed by a touring company and will continue to manage bands. However, there 2 fellows on the road crew who must have thought it would never end and didn't plan very well for their futures. They're scrambling right now to find work/income. Their problem is that they aligned themselves solely with Rush for the last 30+ years, so they have no other bands/tours to go to. The other issue for everyone is the fact that they've gotten no official announcement from Geddy & Alex about the future. I mean, everyone knows the touring is over, but Geddy & Alex have left the crew up in the air. IE: no one was given walking papers, but they also haven't been completely cut loose either. DON'T read anything into that, though. They're definitely done touring.

What did Geddy mean when at the end of the LA show he said "On behalf of the organization...."

I've always considered everyone involved with the band (in whatever capacity) to be part of, "the organization". mrfiendly is spot on with his answer.

• Like 1

So 2 members of the road crew only worked for Rush? How does that even work? For the last 3 decades they haven't toured every year, there is always a good gap in-between tours and on top of that the average tour lasts 70-80 dates I'm thinking? The occasional tour goes into the 100 show mark. How could they survive on income just working the tours?