You would think Neil would have updated his site by now?

Jsteinrush

So 2 members of the road crew only worked for Rush? How does that even work? For the last 3 decades they haven't toured every year, there is always a good gap in-between tours and on top of that the average tour lasts 70-80 dates I'm thinking? The occasional tour goes into the 100 show mark. How could they survive on income just working the tours?

they probably move back in with mom and dad when rush isn't touring. most people involved in the rock world are totally unable to do anything else.

you think neil's "I'm better than you, don't talk to me" schtick would be so endearing in a construction yard?

the more I learn about neil, the more I wouldn't mind alex and geddy touring under a different name with a different drummer.

Dayum... ;)
  • Like 1

the more I learn about neil, the more I wouldn't mind alex and geddy touring under a different name with a different drummer.

Dayum... ;)

it just seems like the image I had of neil when I was 14/15 of some magical genius has turned more into bitter butthole.

• Like 2

Dayum... ;)

it just seems like the image I had of neil when I was 14/15 of some magical genius has turned more into bitter butthole.

I think if you compared all buttholes are bitter

you think neil's "I'm better than you, don't talk to me" schtick would be so endearing in a construction yard?

It's more like "I'm not better than you, don't worship me."

He doesn't like when people worship him like a god.

I think neil probably sees himself as superior to all of us. nerdy, bookish type + proficient musician is the perfect recipe for a superiority complex

• Like 1

Dayum... ;)

I think if you compared all buttholes are bitter

I've tasted some fine buttholes in my day

nah, I don't really see myself as some psychologist who can "diagnose" neil with chronic assholism or anything. but the more I learn about the dude, the more his personality turns me off. I'm glad I only have his great music and don't have to live with the guy.

A lot of bands lose members, replace them, and move on. I have always thought of "Geddy, Alex, and Neil" when I thought of Rush and never could imagine them any other way. But, If it came down to never seeing them live again or seeing them with a different drummer, give me the different drummer! I think Geddy and Alex could search through the Rush tribute bands, find a new drummer, replace the drum solo with a song, and move on! I would still go see them multiple times on a tour and enjoy the music just as much.
  • Like 1

If I am understanding this right it sounds like people are questioning whether Ged/Al would consider continuing Rush with another drummer. Of course there will never be another drummer playing with Rush besides Neil Peart. But there is definitely a chance of them forming a different group with other people with another band name, like your typical supergroup that exists. Examples that come to mind are bands like Oysterhead, A Perfect Circle, etc. I more than likely expect something like this to happen. Even though they are in their 60s this is not old in rock years. Look at McCartney and the Stones still touring away. Ged is gonna get bored real soon and he will wanna do something. And they have played in a band with another drummer, albeit for one song on a soundtrack (Trailer Park boys). Can't remember his name but he's from that one canadian band lol.

Dayum... ;)

I don't disagree. I am obviously much older but I feel the same way...
  • Like 2

i think that whole i'm not better than you thing is bullshit. i definitely get the impression that neil thinks he's better than most people. i think he wrote those oh so personal books of his because he loves the attention, and he loves having people interested in him and hanging on his every word, and he also loves playing the part of a burdened shy genius who doesn't want the attention. he also loves having a platform on which to air his anger towards the world. his books are full of complaining about everything that isn't exactly the way he thinks it should be and insulting things he doesn't like. i think deep down neil is still a misfit teenager defending himself with a superiority complex and that he'd fit right in here as a troll.

with that said I love what he's contributed to my life and to my wife's life and to the lives of many of my friends, and i don't really care a whole lot that he probably has the personality of a compost heap.

• Like 1

I poke fun at Neil occasionally on this board, but honestly, I get him. I don't believe he's a "dick", he's just introverted. He gets his energy either from solitary activities or being with family and close friends. He'd rather have a select few deep interactions and relationships than have 100 shallower ones. I can totally relate to that and understand how such a person can be misunderstood as anti-social when in actuality, they probably harbor nothing personal against the more extroverted people who don't really know them as well. And think about how exhausting it must be (over decades!) to have fan after fan after fan trying to make a personal connection with you based on nothing but the work you do professionally. I WISH Neil could relax a little more about it, but I understand why it's difficult for him. As for the blog entry, I doubt he's put it off because it's too painful. Quite the opposite most likely. He's SO happy to be free of the expectation of another Rush tour or record, he's probably been too busy to even think about it. Just look at the way he gleefully ran up to Alex and Geddy in L.A. and then bounded off the stage. He's happy that it's over, which is sad for US, but just "how it is".

He's ready to move on, and probably has been for some time. Yet he put a lot of time and energy into Clockwork Angels, which was largely responsible for the escalation of RUSH's late-career popularity and recognition. This last tour makes a perfect end to their career, and Neil probably has no problem just walking away.

I think neil probably sees himself as superior to all of us. nerdy, bookish type + proficient musician is the perfect recipe for a superiority complex

Just as being an under-read and marginally talented fan is a perfect recipe for developing a jealous, needy, angry attitude. Not directed at you or anyone here in particular, but that seems to be part of the dynamic. Neil probably sees it that way and has for some time (Limelight?).
  • Like 1

This is really what Neil's doing right now...

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/YBG%20Cover%20Neil_zpsj1wnsjlf.jpg

Great job man. :cheers:

Love the details. The Moist cover and the mug, just brilliant. :clap:

Who' that old woman in the back? Under the Rush painting?

That's Lifeson ordering the Rutti Tutti Fresh and Fruity with an extra order of grits and sausage links.

• Like 3

This is really what Neil's doing right now...

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/YBG%20Cover%20Neil_zpsj1wnsjlf.jpg

Great job man. :cheers:

Love the details. The Moist cover and the mug, just brilliant. :clap:

Who' that old woman in the back? Under the Rush painting?

That's Lifeson ordering the Rutti Tutti Fresh and Fruity with an extra order of grits and sausage links.

IHOP!

:laughing guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgqZ_emozw

• Like 2

Just as being an under-read and marginally talented fan is a perfect recipe for developing a jealous, needy, angry attitude. Not directed at you or anyone here in particular, but that seems to be part of the dynamic. Neil probably sees it that way and has for some time (Limelight?).

Good answer and very true. The people who complain the most are usually the ones who revel the most in their ignorance.