Local WiFi names

Lost In Xanadu

Anyone have a home WiFi name that is Rush related?

Asking because ours has always been 'Cygnus X-1' and my daughter had a friend over that asked me why our WiFi is named that :)

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 3

No, but I have a good story. When I was in college, my room mate and I used an old wifi router from my parents. We renamed it to "Tits McGee" after a reference to the movie Anchorman. So then when we were done rooming, I gave the router back to my parents, who then loaned it to my Grandpa, who plugged it in and had no idea why his network was called "Tits McGee." It was awkward to explain that one.
  • Like 9

Mine is simply called

Whatyoulookigatdummy

I love, love turning it on in hotels, with it's 58 letter and number combination password...knowing some cheap ass will laugh at it.

• Like 1

I have two routers that we switch back and forth...when my kid gets his streaming IP blocked.

BubblesShed

Sunnyvale Trailer Park

I live in a nice subdivision so I'm sure that has the neighbors wondering when they see it in their wireless network list.

• Like 1

Mine is MyCharterWifi45-2G. I can change it's name on my computer but I think I'd have to call Charter to "officially" change the name. I don't really know how all that shit works.

My daughters initialized ours and named it after our cats - - twocutekittens anyone? Sigh. Judging by the neighbors' names we can see, they aren't very creative either- rfamily, nfamily, hfamily, etc.

My daughters initialized ours and named it after our cats - - twocutekittens anyone? Sigh. Judging by the neighbors' names we can see, they aren't very creative either- rfamily, nfamily, hfamily, etc.

Give them something to talk about and name it 'SerialKillers'.

• Like 2

mansonfamily
  • Like 2

mansonfamily

One of my neighbor's has "Virus Detected" as their name
  • Like 1

mansonfamily

One of my neighbor's has "Virus Detected" as their name

That's beauty!
  • Like 2

Anyone have a home WiFi name that is Rush related?

Asking because ours has always been 'Cygnus X-1' and my daughter had a friend over that asked me why our WiFi is named that :)

Sorry but I stole your idea and just changed the name on my Wifi to Cygnus X-1

• Like 2

I was thinking of changing mine to

High on the sacred mountainUp the seven thousand stairsIn the golden light of autumnThere was magic in the air

No sane person would touch it

• Like 2

I've got 2. The one we use is a name that blends, The other I just goof around with. In the last month someone on the block changed their name to 'runner'. In response, I changed my spare to 'Logan'.

I'm not sure if anyone gets the reference or not. ;)

• Like 1

Helpful Tip: Always change your router's SID from the default. Whatever name your router comes with from the factory, change it to something else, anything else.

Reason for this is that some manufacturers are systemic with the default names. If someone is hacking wifi, they can tell the brand of router by the name - sometimes. And given that some routers have exploits that others don't, it's best to not give anyone on the outside a clue that they could use against your setup. For example a certain make and model of an old router might be subject to a flood type attack, another router, something else....

I mean, it's not likely... but then again sometimes bored people learn how to use the easily available tools that try to crack witi connections.

Also change the default password to something long and hard to guess.

Edited by grep