The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

Let's just take a second to discuss Queen's least impressive output. In my humble opinion..."Coming Soon" sucks. It's totally unremarkable in every way, the very definition of filler. It's much of the reason why The Game us my second least favorite Queen album.

Just want to thank you all for this thread...it made me re-examine A Day at the Races (which I did not previously own except on cassette). I used to blow this tape off in my youth, but checking it out again thirty odd years later because of you guys, I repurchased it yesterday on iTunes. Amazing stuff!

Let's just take a second to discuss Queen's least impressive output. In my humble opinion..."Coming Soon" sucks. It's totally unremarkable in every way, the very definition of filler. It's much of the reason why The Game us my second least favorite Queen album.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and 'Coming Soon' is not one of their strongest tracks. But I don't think its terrible or completely unremarkable either. I bought 'The Game' when it came out as a freshman in high school and thought 'Coming Soon' was just kind of a fun stomp, that's all. I rather like the guitar riff. "Need Your Loving Tonight" isn't an epic, either, and I think less of it than 'Coming Soon', but it's still kind of fun it its way, and fits the theme of the album.

Your perspective can certainly be informed by your starting point with Queen and whatever standard you hold a 'good' Queen song to. I started in 1980 with 'The Game' and then 'Live Killers', so I could see how starting with them on 'A Night at the Opera' or something could make for a vastly different point of view.

• Like 3

Just want to thank you all for this thread...it made me re-examine A Day at the Races (which I did not previously own except on cassette). I used to blow this tape off in my youth, but checking it out again thirty odd years later because of you guys, I repurchased it yesterday on iTunes. Amazing stuff!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and 'Coming Soon' is not one of their strongest tracks. But I don't think its terrible or completely unremarkable either. I bought 'The Game' when it came out as a freshman in high school and thought 'Coming Soon' was just kind of a fun stomp, that's all. I rather like the guitar riff. "Need Your Loving Tonight" isn't an epic, either, and I think less of it than 'Coming Soon', but it's still kind of fun it its way, and fits the theme of the album.

Your perspective can certainly be informed by your starting point with Queen and whatever standard you hold a 'good' Queen song to. I started in 1980 with 'The Game' and then 'Live Killers', so I could see how starting with them on 'A Night at the Opera' or something could make for a vastly different point of view.

The Game and Live Killers were played over and over in my house. I love 'em both.
  • Like 3

Yeah, my first major Queen experiences were listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen over and over again, then listening to their greatest hits and loving pretty much every track, and lastly buying all of their studio albums (minus Flash Gordon) one at a time in chronological order over the course of my high school career. Thus, when I got to The Game, I had all these crazy high expectations for the album cuts to be super amazing like "The Millionaire's Waltz" or "Dead On Time" and so on, and instead I got catchy faux-new-wave minimalism, which wasn't the Queen I knew at all. When I got to Hot Space after that I went in expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised that I still enjoyed much of it, but my expectations for The Game (with it's four entire songs on their greatest hits) were pretty phenomenaly high and were simply not met.

EDIT: Oh, and no prob making the thread! The music community here seems interesting and level headed enough to have really great discussions about awesome bands like Queen, and since I'm not part of a Queen forum online, I figured it'd be great to have a thread to discuss them here! :)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Most of Roger Tayors songs on the albums are pretty awful. not including I'm in Love with my Car of course.

Mick

Tennent Funster is bad ass

Sure is, as are Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, Drowse, Action This Day, Calling All Girls, A Human Body, Machines(written with Brian). I like his off kilter style.

• Like 1

Yeah, my first major Queen experiences were listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen over and over again, then listening to their greatest hits and loving pretty much every track, and lastly buying all of their studio albums (minus Flash Gordon) one at a time in chronological order over the course of my high school career. Thus, when I got to The Game, I had all these crazy high expectations for the album cuts to be super amazing like "The Millionaire's Waltz" or "Dead On Time" and so on, and instead I got catchy faux-new-wave minimalism, which wasn't the Queen I knew at all. When I got to Hot Space after that I went in expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised that I still enjoyed much of it, but my expectations for The Game (with it's four entire songs on their greatest hits) were pretty phenomenaly high and were simply not met.

EDIT: Oh, and no prob making the thread! The music community here seems interesting and level headed enough to have really great discussions about awesome bands like Queen, and since I'm not part of a Queen forum online, I figured it'd be great to have a thread to discuss them here! :)

Hot Space is an ACE album. Queen at their most adventurous, they hit some real creative highs on this one.

• Like 1

Most of Roger Tayors songs on the albums are pretty awful. not including I'm in Love with my Car of course.

Mick

Sure is, as are Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, Drowse, Action This Day, Calling All Girls, A Human Body, Machines(written with Brian). I like his off kilter style.

Jazz.
  • Like 2

Hot Space is an ACE album. Queen at their most adventurous, they hit some real creative highs on this one.

Life Is Real is one of the most beautiful things they ever recorded. When Fred set out to write something great, he just about always succeeded.

• Like 1

Mick

Jazz.

Top 10 Roger Taylor Songs: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-taylor-queen-songs/

‘In the Lap of the Gods'

‘Fight From the Inside’

‘Rock It (Prime Jive)’

‘Fun It’

‘A Kind of Magic’

‘Sheer Heart Attack’

‘More of That Jazz’

‘These Are the Days of Our Lives’

‘Radio Ga Ga’

‘I’m in Love With My Car’

Not a dud in this lot..and some are among Queen's most enduring songs.

• Like 1

Mick

Jazz.

Top 10 Roger Taylor Songs: http://ultimateclass...or-queen-songs/

‘In the Lap of the Gods'

‘Fight From the Inside’

‘Rock It (Prime Jive)’

‘Fun It’

‘A Kind of Magic’

‘Sheer Heart Attack’

‘More of That Jazz’

‘Radio Ga Ga’

His solo albums are pretty amazing as well.

• Like 1

Mick

Jazz.

Top 10 Roger Taylor Songs: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-taylor-queen-songs/

‘In the Lap of the Gods'

‘Fight From the Inside’

‘Rock It (Prime Jive)’

‘Fun It’

‘A Kind of Magic’

‘Sheer Heart Attack’

‘More of That Jazz’

‘Radio Ga Ga’

The only problem with this is "In The Lap Of The Gods" isn't Roger...

• Like 1

Mick

Jazz.

Top 10 Roger Taylor Songs: http://ultimateclass...or-queen-songs/

‘In the Lap of the Gods'

‘Fight From the Inside’

‘Rock It (Prime Jive)’

‘Fun It’

‘A Kind of Magic’

‘Sheer Heart Attack’

‘More of That Jazz’

‘Radio Ga Ga’

The only problem with this is "In The Lap Of The Gods" isn't Roger...

From the link...

This isn't a Roger Taylor composition, but it's probably the best example of his unmistakable and ear-piercing falsetto (hear it shriek on "My Fairy King," "Ogre Battle," etc.) and a suitably attention-grabbing way to launch our list of the Top 10 Roger Taylor Queen Songs. Freddie Mercury often described "In the Lap of the Gods" as a test-run for "Bohemian Rhapsody," and the evidence certainly shines through in its distinct orchestrated passages and operatic histrionics.

Read More: Top 10 Roger Taylor Queen Songs | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-taylor-queen-songs/?trackback=tsmclip

• Like 1

"Action This Day" is unbearably catchy. I love it. The simplicity. Everything about the song is obvious. Obviously good!

Well said that man!!!

I love the lyrics too.

But there's a heartbeat pulse that keep on

pumping

Some sunshine ray through a crack in a

shutter

Or a sight of a light at

The end of a tunnel

Still there's a feeling, this world is using me.

• Like 1

I can only imagine the arguments Queen had in the studio or when deciding on a track listing. Four talented songwriters with separate distinct styles stuffing all that goodness into the mold of Queen. The same situation broke up the Beatles! God bless em' for sticking it out.
  • Like 2

Fred loved everyone too much to let any arguments and fights escalate to the point of breaking up the band, though tensions were high around the time of Hot Space.
  • Like 1

Looking at the list i only Car and Lap of the Gods. And sheer Heart Attack

i can only take so much Radio Gaga

Annd days of our lives is ok.

Mick

I always enjoyed Rogers quirky compositions from the seventies. The late seventies and early eighties new wave stabs weren't that great though, and his attempts to add the much needed rock and roll to Hot Space weren't extremely successful in my eyes, but then he wrote Radio Ga Ga and Roger really became just a strong of a songwriter as the other three. Actually that's something I love about The Works, the four biggest and best songs are each written as one of the best compositions of a particular member of Queen. Roger with Radio Ga Ga, Freddie with It's A Hard Life, Deacy with I Want To Break Free, and of course Brian with one of my all time favorite rockers, Hammer To Fall. If only the album tracks were as well written as the singles, though they're much better than Hot Space.

• Like 1

Fred loved everyone too much to let any arguments and fights escalate to the point of breaking up the band, though tensions were high around the time of Hot Space.

I would imagine there was more pressure than usual in the studio having to follow up The Game, and the commercial success of "Another One Bites The Dust". The logical supposition would be (by the label anyway) "Yeah, do more of THAT!"

Which, in a fashion they did. It was no secret that Freddie liked dance music, so he may have seized the opportunity and Hot Space happened. Contrary to some people's opinion's though, it's not all a dance album, sort of like how any Queen album is all ever rock.

I actually liked Hot Space from the first listen. I think the dance stuff was actually pretty well done, and along w/Fred's vox and Brian's unique tone and brilliant choices, made for some good listening. Again, another part of my perspective is that I wasn't too precious with the classic Queen stuff because I was still a relatively new listener at the time. Open ears with no expectations probably buoyed this album for me more than for more experienced fans.

"Staying Power" - That crazy bass drum captivates right from the start, and....horns? Huh...ah, there's Brian! The bass synth stuff was interesting to me as well. Also the song has some nice builds in it. Lyrics didn't matter much, but the song had a good energy.

"Dancer"- Really didn't care for the lyric much...but again I did like the music and production here. Mack and his love of cymbal crash sounds that can penetrate your skull, wow. LOL

"Back Chat"- Here we go....some really good drum fills/arrangement on this one, especially coming out of a break just before Brian's lead that sounds amazing. And there's bass guitar here!

"Body Language"--wow, to this day, just earth shaking bass on the synth bassline. The songs just does a serpentine winding through your mind with it's consistent rhythm and sinewy bass line.

"Action This Day" -- Ahh! Snappy little Taylor tune to start moving us into another phase of the album. I really kinda liked the synth break leading to the sax solo too. Brian's chunky-yet-plucky rhythm playing on this tune was a great fit. Musicians that understand a song's needs.

"Put Out the Fire"--Rock time! Nice production here to get the point across. While I disagree with the politics of the song (though I like the "A gun never killed nobody...." line, so he could see both sides), I totally dig it anyway and respect Fred's view. Wooo....great solo here too, blistering! The outro was a great idea as well. As someone who has written their own songs, I can attest that a good ending for a song is often the most difficult thing to come up with.

"Life Is Real"--Lovely tribute, even the reverb here sounds like that which Lennon liked to use. The vocal harmony build just before the solo is classic Queen power. Why didn't Freddie give himself a bit more credit as a pianist??

"Calling All Girls"--Kind of an odd one, but was kind of mesmerizing with Brian's guitar lurking on those lower tones during the verses. Not a favorite from the album but I never skipped in on a listen either.

"Las Palabras De Amor"--I always loved this song, what a great progression it has and nice form. The build and going 'Full Queen' at the last part of the song is a hair-raising moment, and Roger does one of his top fills there (best on the record) and it fits SO perfectly within the music. Beautiful tune with a surprising power.

"Cool Cat"--John! I actually liked the style of this one, and Freddie displaying one of the best falsettos in rock. Jesus, what a singer.

"Under Pressure"-- Amazing tune we all know and love (forget Vanilla Ice). Amazing lyrics, and how the f**k did Freddie hit that top end note on the big 'Why" moment???? I thought only Roger could go there??? Simply incredible song. IMO, Bowie was fortunate to be part of this, not vice versa.

Yeah, maybe HS isn't a masterwork, but I definitely still like it after all this time and still listen to it. Considering the albums they had behind them, and just coming off a Grammy nominated song of the year with AOBTD, I think they did alright here :)

• Like 3