The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

I went to a Queen + Adam Lambert show in January. It was EPIC. He's a natural. Yes, Freddie would have been proud. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD NEVER want to hear an album by him & them, but live, he nails it.

Paul Rodgers time with the band was just OK, The Cosmos Rocks was an embarrassment, live it was good, but he wasn't right for those songs.

• Like 1

I went to a Queen + Adam Lambert show in January. It was EPIC. He's a natural. Yes, Freddie would have been proud. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD NEVER want to hear an album by him & them, but live, he nails it.

Paul Rodgers time with the band was just OK, The Cosmos Rocks was an embarrassment, live it was good, but he wasn't right for those songs.

Adam Lambert is easy to hate on for his image, but he is an incredible vocalist and an expert performer! If he had been an unknown with no previous media history, I reckon he'd be more admired.

I think it odd how I have gone from hating Queen, to finding more and more to like about them. Not infatuated, I might never be a big fan, but I have at least found three albums to enjoy (so far...will continue bit by bit).

• Like 2

Adam Lambert is easy to hate on for his image, but he is an incredible vocalist and an expert performer! If he had been an unknown with no previous media history, I reckon he'd be more admired.

I think it odd how I have gone from hating Queen, to finding more and more to like about them. Not infatuated, I might never be a big fan, but I have at least found three albums to enjoy (so far...will continue bit by bit).

Can't imagine any Queen fans hating him for his image. Like, hello!!

Until he tops Freddie's It's A Hard Life "prawn" suit......that f***er was incredible.

• Like 1

I never ever liked adam lambert. And i could never put my finger on it. great voice yes but very off putting. my douche alarm just goes off, lol.

Mick

I never really knew about him until I saw him on telly being interviewed. He struck me as being a very nice guy, with horrid music.

• Like 2

I never ever liked adam lambert. And i could never put my finger on it. great voice yes but very off putting. my douche alarm just goes off, lol.

Mick

I never really knew about him until I saw him on telly being interviewed. He struck me as being a very nice guy, with horrid music.

i saw a lot of performances on idol. He's golden voiced for sure but relied WAY to much on his upper register scream. which after a while was.......yawn.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i saw a lot of performances on idol. He's golden voiced for sure but relied WAY to much on his upper register scream. which after a while was.......yawn.

Mick

I liked his live work with Queen. His own music?

*vomit*

• Like 1

So those who rank A Day at the Races over A Night at the Opera, what's your reasoning? I can hear the speciality and greatness of both albums, but in my ears ADATR has always felt like a bit of a let down after ANATO, thus I'm curious why ADATR supporters love it so much as they do.

So those who rank A Day at the Races over A Night at the Opera, what's your reasoning? I can hear the speciality and greatness of both albums, but in my ears ADATR has always felt like a bit of a let down after ANATO, thus I'm curious why ADATR supporters love it so much as they do.

Could help that Races has not been beaten to death, lol

but no for me it comes down to The Millionaire Waltz. you Take My Breath Away. Teo Torriate. just breathtaking moments.

Opera has what one might call filler

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, Sweet Lady, Seaside Rondevous.

i don't think they are.

but i do like races better by a wide margin.

Mick

• Like 1

but no for me it comes down to The Millionaire Waltz. you Take My Breath Away. Teo Torriate. just breathtaking moments.

i don't think they are.

Mick

I see. For me LoaSA and SR were always too fun to be filler, though I could see how some might think that. I'll give you Sweet Lady though, great riff but really lacking in development, unlike about the entire rest of the album.

TMW and YTMBA have always been big favorites of mine too, but for some reason I've never quite felt the magic of Teo Torriate. Maybe I need to hear one of those live recordings from Japan... However, White Man always seemed somehow too dense and lacking in development, like they tried to replicate TPS but crush it into four minutes to fit on the album. In fact, I kind of feel the same way about TMW (easily another attempt at a BR type song), but that one's just too good to dismiss.

i don't think they are.

Mick

I see. For me LoaSA and SR were always too fun to be filler, though I could see how some might think that. I'll give you Sweet Lady though, great riff but really lacking in development, unlike about the entire rest of the album.

TMW and YTMBA have always been big favorites of mine too, but for some reason I've never quite felt the magic of Teo Torriate. Maybe I need to hear one of those live recordings from Japan... However, White Man always seemed somehow too dense and lacking in development, like they tried to replicate TPS but crush it into four minutes to fit on the album. In fact, I kind of feel the same way about TMW (easily another attempt at a BR type song), but that one's just too good to dismiss.

I'll Give you White Man. Horrid song. Oh and good Old Fashioned Lover Boy my Fav of Freddie's jaunty tunes that he used to write in the 70's.

Mick

• Like 1

i don't think they are.

Mick

I'll Give you White Man. Horrid song. Oh and good Old Fashioned Lover Boy my Fav of Freddie's jaunty tunes that he used to write in the 70's.

Mick

I showed Good Old Fashion Lover Boy to my best friend at school, and now she always wants me to sing it with her, gah. Great song though. I remember loving that one to death back when I only had the greatest hits (of course I loved everything on that album to absolute death, that's one of the great things about greatest hits albums).

"Long Away" is just a brilliant song. "Drowse" might as well have been my biography growing up...one of my favourite songs by any band.

Long Away is good, though something about its production is a bit dense somehow...

Rather surprised by your opinion on Drowse though. I love Queen for doing whatever the heck they wanted, especially back in the seventies, but Drowse always struck me as kind of pointless, of course I've grown to like it a good bit by listening to it much more.

• Like 2

No one's said this but Roger Taylor has/had one of the coolest voices in rock. that high range though, lol. and his rock rasp.

Mick

Absolutely. People always forget that Brian was a fairly strong singer and that Roger totally could've fronted his own band with that voice. Without his crazy Geddy-high-falsetto a lot of the classic Queen harmonies would just fall flat. And that rasp, so natural, so cool. They almost should've let him sing more often...

• Like 3

No one's said this but Roger Taylor has/had one of the coolest voices in rock. that high range though, lol. and his rock rasp.

Mick

Absolutely. People always forget that Brian was a fairly strong singer and that Roger totally could've fronted his own band with that voice. Without his crazy Geddy-high-falsetto a lot of the classic Queen harmonies would just fall flat. And that rasp, so natural, so cool. They almost should've let him sing more often...

and he pulled the high stuff off nightly live too. He was Amazing. i always looked forward to a Roger Vocal.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

and he pulled the high stuff off nightly live too. He was Amazing. i always looked forward to a Roger Vocal.

Mick

Now if only he had discovered his better songwriting chops before he stopped singing lead on his songs. Yes, only Freddie could sing stuff like Radio Ga Ga and These Are The Days Of Our Lives most effectively, but if Roger had been able to write classics like that back in the seventies, despite the quirky greatness of those songs which he did write back then, Queen's legacy could've been even more amazing.

• Like 1

yea One thing that annoyed me was Freddie taking lead on other's songs. Especially 39 on live killers. God i hate that. nobody does that song like Brian.

and roger does a fine version of Days of our Lives on the Queen/Paul Rodgers DVD.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

yea One thing that annoyed me was Freddie taking lead on other's songs. Especially 39 on live killers. God i hate that. nobody does that song like Brian.

and roger does a fine version of Days of our Lives on the Queen/Paul Rodgers DVD.

Mick

I agree on that first part. I heard a snippet of '39 live at Earl's Court or something with Freddie singing, and as much as I love Freddie, he didn't have the folk voice that Brian had.

EDIT: I also always thought Brian should've sung Dear Friends off of SHA. Freddie does it beautifully, but Brian's voice would really have brought out the lullaby aspect of the song.

second thing: I need to hear that, but it will probably be a while before I get there. Too busy adoring The Miracle right now.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Have you guys heard any of Roger's solo albums? They are so good. And, of course, he did, in fact, front his own band, The Cross. They released three albums, "Shove IT", "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" and "Blue Rock". They are pretty good. Roger plays guitar and sings on The Cross albums. He plays all instruments and sings on his solo albums. ("Fun in Space", "Strange Frontier", "Electric Fire", "Happiness?" and the recent, "Fun on Earth")

Have you guys heard any of Roger's solo albums? They are so good. And, of course, he did, in fact, front his own band, The Cross. They released three albums, "Shove IT", "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" and "Blue Rock". They are pretty good. Roger plays guitar and sings on The Cross albums. He plays all instruments and sings on his solo albums. ("Fun in Space", "Strange Frontier", "Electric Fire", "Happiness?" and the recent, "Fun on Earth")

Well...I should probably go listen to those. Any of them before 1989 (as not to sacrifice my methodical chronological collection of Queen)?

• Like 1

no but i need to. More Roger is always good.

oh and Re the Paul Rodgers DVD.......he's no Freddie but it is a GREAT show. and he holds his own. Adding his own spin. I perfer his version of I want to Break free to Freddie's by miles.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

ReGor...I now really enjoy three albums by this band.

Thanks to your post a couple of weeks back, I am patiently taking the ride!

• Like 3