The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

I love Brian May's guitar playing. Wonderful and inventive.

Strength: I truly believe the man never recorded a bad guitar solo. It seems every solo is perfect for its song.

Weakness: His guitar tone does get a tad bit annoying at times. But that's nitpicking.

My uncle saw Queen live and he said as the night wore on his tone became really taxing to sit through.

He said it was still a great show though.

Mick

That's what I think about Freddie's voice. Especially on this album. It became increasingly taxing to listen to. :(

• Like 2

Strength: I truly believe the man never recorded a bad guitar solo. It seems every solo is perfect for its song.

Weakness: His guitar tone does get a tad bit annoying at times. But that's nitpicking.

My uncle saw Queen live and he said as the night wore on his tone became really taxing to sit through.

Mick

That's what I think about Freddie's voice. Especially on this album. It became increasingly taxing to listen to. :(

Freddie is an accuried taste. he's praised to death and rightly so. but he was off a bit.....especially live. he could be hit or miss.

He would opt out of high notes live a bunch.

Mick

Mick

Well, you have been listening to A LOT Queen recently.

• Like 2

A kind TRF member sent me four albums. Listened to one a day over six days.

i still think you need to hear the first two albums.

Also, I listened to three live shows yesterday and today.

The two Rainbow gigs and the Odeon show.

They are from 1974 & 1975...the "Queen II", "Sheer Heart Attack" and " A Night the Opera" tours...

...simply amazing!

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

A kind TRF member sent me four albums. Listened to one a day over six days.

i still think you need to hear the first two albums.

Also, I listened to three live shows yesterday and today.

The two Rainbow gigs and the Odeon show.

They are from 1974 & 1975...the "Queen II", "Sheer Heart Attack" and " A Night the Opera" tours...

...simply amazing!

No band can keep it going forever. Not Rush. Not Queen. Not one band has consistently great albums.

Except for maybe The Beatles. But, had they stayed together instead of breaking up, they would have eventually had a dud too.

Why do I have a horrid feeling I am going to love Jazz and get pooped on...

...it seems to be my way, loving the unloved, and I am half expecting to worship the thing haha!

• Like 1

...it seems to be my way, loving the unloved, and I am half expecting to worship the thing haha!

i have no problem with Jazz. it's just rather bland.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Well it will be a miracle if I get past the third album so let's wait and see!

• Like 1

Mick

Exactly. Jazz is fine. But that's the problem. The previous six are so mindbogglingly brilliant it just pales in their glare. But, when it's good it's great. Jealousy is top notch. And Taylor's Fun It & More Of That Jazz are interesting in that unique RMT way!

And I have a fierce weakness for Deacon's If You Can't Beat Them.

But, they were at a low ebb at the time of recording, and it shows.

But, they bounced back with The Game!! Hell yes.

• Like 1

I need to do a runthough of the 80's albums again. The Game and the Works are both amazing.

the other stuff is like..........what happened.

i started the Miracle yesterday and that album has to have the worst opening one-two punch ever, lol

Mick

I need to do a runthough of the 80's albums again. The Game and the Works are both amazing.

i started the Miracle yesterday and that album has to have the worst opening one-two punch ever, lol

Mick

Wrong!!

Haha. We both love Queen but pretty much have conflicting opinions about the good:bad of their albums.

• Like 2

Mick

Wrong!!

Haha. We both love Queen but pretty much have conflicting opinions about the good:bad of their albums.

that's ok, lol. it's what makes music interesting.

Mck

Edited by bluefox4000

Atm I only enjoy two albums.

Tried Sheer Heart Attack and couldn't finish it.

It got on my nerves.

But the first two will be spun again.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

It got on my nerves.

hey if you end up only liking the first 2.

those are a great 2 to like.

Mick

• Like 1

It got on my nerves.

Mick

I am going to keep trying because this is a band I am losing patience with.

They are soooooo close to being my new obsession I just need to replay them...some songs hit me hard and then others annoy me (but not like Kilroy Was Here annoy).

And Roger Taylor...Brian May...

If they formed a trio with Geddy I'd cry happy tears.

• Like 2

It got on my nerves.

Mick

They are soooooo close to being my new obsession I just need to replay them...some songs hit me hard and then others annoy me (but not like Kilroy Was Here annoy).

you'll come to like Freddie. i think anyway.

but the other guys are amazing.

Mick

• Like 1

It got on my nerves.

Mick

you'll come to like Freddie. i think anyway.

but the other guys are amazing.

Mick

I like him and I don't "hate" his voice it's just...like you and Mariah Carey vocals...

• Like 1

I hate to say it (sorry Mick), but out of the three albums I've listened to so far, this one has been very hard for me to listen all the way through. I only liked one song - White Man. Teo Torriatte goes from beautiful to awful and back to beautiful.

So far, my favorite is Sheer Heart Attack.

Next up: News of the World :)

A Day at the Races is comparatively uneven to me after A Night at the Opera, but if you give it a couple more spins I think you'll derive more enjoyment from it. That one has to grow on you a bit.

My favorite albums are (no particular order):

Sheer Heart Attack

News of the World

A Night at the Opera

Favorite song from the whole lot might be 'It's Late' from NOTW. Talk about firing on ALL cylinders!

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 1

I find it hard to find joy in Queen.

But when I return to my marathon I will pick up where I left off...maybe it's time to move beyond the first two!

• Like 1

I find it hard to find joy in Queen.

But when I return to my marathon I will pick up where I left off...maybe it's time to move beyond the first two!

I keep telling you......if all you like is the first 2.

you've acommplished your goal.........you like Queen.

you don't need to be obsessed with them, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Dan, I intend to give all of them another spin. Maybe next week. I became aware, as I was initially listening to Queen, that they are definitely an acquired taste, and one that most probably doesn't come in one listen.

That's a great idea. Listening to them the way you are can be a bit of an overload, as they are so eclectic. It actually took me some time as well to come around on these albums, aside from the 'hits', but they are a fun and rewarding band to listen to. Brian May is a bloody genius, and makes remarkable musical choices for solos as well as his rhythm playing. Roger Taylor is an underrated drummer, and is one of the very few that has a recognizable sound and style (my short list for that kind of thing includes Roger, Bonham, Peart, Copeland, and Phil Collins).

Freddie's talent and breadth of range is readily apparent, not to mention his charisma and showmanship. He's in my top three best rock vocalists.

Finally John Deacon's bass playing was a primary driver in my earliest interest in picking up the bass, and that was cemented after hearing Yes and Rush :)

• Like 3

Dan, I intend to give all of them another spin. Maybe next week. I became aware, as I was initially listening to Queen, that they are definitely an acquired taste, and one that most probably doesn't come in one listen.

That's a great idea. Listening to them the way you are can be a bit of an overload, as they are so eclectic. It actually took me some time as well to come around on these albums, aside from the 'hits', but they are a fun and rewarding band to listen to. Brian May is a bloody genius, and makes remarkable musical choices for solos as well as his rhythm playing. Roger Taylor is an underrated drummer, and is one of the very few that has a recognizable sound and style (my short list for that kind of thing includes Roger, Bonham, Peart, Copeland, and Phil Collins).

Freddie's talent and breadth of range is readily apparent, not to mention his charisma and showmanship. He's in my top three best rock vocalists.

Finally John Deacon's bass playing was a primary driver in my earliest interest in picking up the bass, and that was cemented after hearing Yes and Rush :)

Don't forget Taylor's versatile vocals!!!

my i love him.

• Like 2