The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

I hate to say it (sorry Mick), but out of the three albums I've listened to so far, this one has been very hard for me to listen all the way through. I only liked one song - White Man. Teo Torriatte goes from beautiful to awful and back to beautiful.

So far, my favorite is Sheer Heart Attack.

Next up: News of the World :)

Yeah Ive always thought DATR sucked...especially compared to the two albums surrounding it.

Always liked Jazz though, Lorraine, they strip down the excesses slightly after Races. I think they kinda knew they went too far in the other direction. Up until the Game they went further back to basics and it worked.

Funny how punk seemed to change things ;)

• Like 2

And I honestly never even knew what Freddie looked like until yesterday. All this time, I thought Queen dressed up like KISS.

Anyone here ever see them in concert back in the day?

I saw Queen on 08 February 1977 on the "A Day at the Races Tour" (with Thin Lizzy), again in 1980 on "The Game Tour" and again in 1982 on the "Hot Space Tour".

Can you tell me what it was like? I would think their concerts would be a lot different from other bands of the time.

Where did you see them, and how close were you?

Sorry for all the questions.

08 February 1977 - War Memorial - Syracuse, New York

http://www.queenconcerts.com/inc/photos-live/queen/1977-12-17/queen77-1.jpg

20 September 1980 - Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, Michigan

http://content.clickbooq.com/857/photos/649180ad01.jpg

09 August 1982 - Brenden Byrne Arena - East Rutherford, New Jersey

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/78/a6/2d78a688b84aca4a2a93aff6489c1ea8.jpg

All three shows were just amazing, of course. I had ok seats for the first two shows and was in the 10th row for my third Queen gig.

Freddie just comes out and pretty much says, you are mine until I say it is time to go...an amazing front man.

For some reason I got the urge this morning to listen to Innuendo. Amazing the range and control he has in his voice....even though he was dying! :(

• Like 3

I hate to say it (sorry Mick), but out of the three albums I've listened to so far, this one has been very hard for me to listen all the way through. I only liked one song - White Man. Teo Torriatte goes from beautiful to awful and back to beautiful.

Yeah Ive always thought DATR sucked...especially compared to the two albums surrounding it.

Always liked Jazz though, Lorraine, they strip down the excesses slightly after Races. I think they kinda knew they went too far in the other direction. Up until the Game they went further back to basics and it worked.

I thought I heard some punk sounding songs on Sheer Heart Attack.

Also, I was already suspecting that they changed direction after DATR since I was wondering how We Will Rock You (on the next album) lined up with the previous album.

Gotta finish cleaning :boo hiss: first. Then...News of the World! :)

• Like 2

Also, I was already suspecting that they changed direction after DATR since I was wondering how We Will Rock You (on the next album) lined up with the previous album.

I be willing to wager that you'd love "Queen II".

• Like 2

Is that the album before SHA?

Now that my tedious and boring domestic duties are done, here I go with News of the World....

• Like 2

Now that my tedious and boring domestic duties are done, here I go with News of the World....

Yeah, it came out in the same year (1974) as "Sheer Heart Attack". (Also, call me crazy, one of my favourite things is to drink espresso while cleaning the house and listening to music...my wife loves this about me). :blink:
  • Like 2

I have to say that We Will Rock You was a brilliant idea. I know they wanted to do something that would get the fans participating. I don't know that any other band ever did a song like WWRY that drew the audience like that song.

No matter where you were back then, when that song would come on the jukebox, the whole place would erupt in action. I can only imagine what it was like to be there at a concert when they played the song.

We Are The Champions was a brilliant follow-up song. To this day, it gives me chills and makes me want to cry - No time for losers 'cause we are the champions of the world!

• Like 2

This "Fight From The Inside" is quite the tune! :) :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

A great tune from Roger Taylor who not only wrote and sang the song, but also played most of the instruments on that song. From Queen's website... "Fight From The Inside, meanwhile, another little known track, not only demonstrates Roger’s vocal skills, but also his bass and rhythm guitar playing." Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

Did they pride themselves on being musically all over the place on every album? You can't get more further apart than the first and last song on the album.

I liked this album a lot better than the last two. So far, my two favorite Queen albums are SHA and NOTW.

One more left - Jazz. Maybe this afternoon I will listen to it.

• Like 3

News is a killer album!!;)

• Like 4

Yeah, it came out in the same year (1974) as "Sheer Heart Attack". (Also, call me crazy, one of my favourite things is to drink espresso while cleaning the house and listening to music...my wife loves this about me). :blink:

Yes, my woman loves me when I clean as well. Other times.....

• Like 1

Oh Lorraine, good for you!! Queen was definitely beyond their time with those classic 70s releases (beyond, not ahead of, because the future didn't sound like Queen any more than the present or the past). In that decade especially, but with nearly every album, Queen always did an excellent job of creating records with an unmatchable variety of styles, genres, sounds, etc. Rarely did they make an album as consistent as, say, Back In Black, or even as consistent as Houses of The Holy (which, as you know, is not really super consistent in the style and genre departments). Someone mentioned Queen records are like Beatles records on steroids, and that really couldn't be more true. I actually feel like I'm missing out on something kind of special with the really all-over-the-place type Beatles records cause I listened to Queen's all-over-the-place records first, but I usually just attribute that to still-developing 60s recording and production technology limiting the sense of variety on, say, Revolver, in my ears. One of the things I love best about Queen, and which I also love about Muse (because I loved it about Queen first), is their ability to write albums full of completely different songs in completely different styles or genres on completely separate subjects, and not only create each and every one of those songs with class and authenticity, but to meld them into coherent albums with impeccable (if eccentric) flow. SHA, ANATO, and NotW are all in my top five Queen albums partly because they display this ability of the band I think better than any of their other records (maybe Jazz does as well), though nearly all of their records display this ability tons more than most other bands.

Anyway I'm so happy to hear you are thoroughly enjoying your travels and exploration in Queen's most classic era, but as one of the biggest Queen fans you may ever speak with (even online), I simply must recommend stepping outside this period for the full experience. You may easily find those classic era albums to be your favorites by this amazing band, but there are many treasures and essentials of the band's discography left to be explored before SHA and after Jazz (Queen II and The Miracle are among my absolute favorites, and Innuendo continues to puzzle me over how much I love it versus my minor complaints with it). Heck, even Hot Space is Queen at their absolutely Queeniest (I.e. Going completely overboard and not giving a single care what anyone else thinks), though most will agree it's more than a bit of a low point in their discography (but I love a few of those tracks to death, "Life Is Real" especially). All I'm saying is give the others a try before you get off of your Queen binge/high. Great for you either way though! :)

• Like 1

If i had to rate at least the 70's albums right now.

1. A Day at the Races

2. Queen II

3. Sheer Heart Attack

4. Queen

5. A Night at the Opera

6.. News of the World

7. Jazz

the 80's were far more patchy for me.

You had The Game which is awesome. the Unfairly overlooked Works. and that's it.

they closed with the brilliant Innuendo though.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Can a band end its career any better than with The Show Must Go On....? I doubt it!!

• Like 4

Can a band end its career any better than with The Show Must Go On....? I doubt it!!

one of the best vocals of all time. from a near dead man.

chills everytime.

Mick

• Like 3

chills everytime.

Mick

The Miracle

And Innuendo are both great.

• Like 1

chills everytime.

Mick

The Miracle

the Miracle.......meh. way to much filler for me.

Mick

• Like 1

chills everytime.

Mick

The Miracle

the Miracle.......meh. way to much filler for me.

Mick

When The Miracle is good, it's very good. But stuff like Party & Rain Must Fall are bloody awful. Some of the b-sides were WAY better.

• Like 2

I played some early Queen again. I said before I really loved the drumming and Brian May is a legend.

But it was also nice to finally play them and hear the beauty in Mercury's voice. I knew he had a range but for the first time outside of Innuendo, I really started to note the power behind the voice.

That being my only issue with Queen, it's going to be fun seeing if I can enjoy more of their work beyond the first three!

• Like 2

I could play Keep Yourself Alive on repeat for days and not get bored.

I really like early Queen!

I am excited to continue on with A Night At The Opera (an album I really don't like...), and onwards. Looking up the order of release so I can follow them properly.

This is nice, I have been trying for three years now to look past Mwrcury's vocals and now I really don't get why I didn't like them.

(Same thing happened with Bon Jovi...ask me two years ago, I detested them!).

• Like 1