The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

1974 - 1975 - 1976 - 1977 - 1978

This band released six amazing studio albums and criss crossed the world with constant touring.

I love the first two albums ("Queen" & "Queen II"), however the run of albums of "Sheer Heart Attack" (1974), "A Night at the Opera" (1974), "A Day at the Races" (1976), "News of the World" (1977) and "Jazz" (1978) are among the top of any rock band in music history.

Brian, Freddie, John and Roger made magic together...a true collaborative effort.

• Like 1

Just like Hatchetaxe&saw just said, this list could (would) change day by day...

Drowse

The Prophet Song

Misfire

Some Day One Day

Long Away

Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll

It's Late

Let Me Live

Coming Soon

I Go Crazy

Sweet list as well. I love I Go Crazy. IMO should've somehow replaced Tear It Up on The Works.

"I Go Crazy" wasn't on original album. It was released on the 12" released of "Radio Ga Ga" and as a B side to the "Radio Ga Ga" single.

I bought the extended play vinyl and I bet I played that song a million times...loudly.

I had my first apartment at the time and my rock and roll 45s truly enraged the folks on the lower floor! :)

• Like 1

This band released six amazing studio albums and criss crossed the world with constant touring.

I love the first two albums ("Queen" & "Queen II"), however the run of albums of "Sheer Heart Attack" (1974), "A Night at the Opera" (1974), "A Day at the Races" (1976), "News of the World" (1977) and "Jazz" (1978) are among the top of any rock band in music history.

Brian, Freddie, John and Roger made magic together...a true collaborative effort.

I love all of them, but for me the best run would be from QII through News. Jazz through Hot Space seems a tad less appealing to me in places, and The Works through Innuendo is this incredible build to lasting greatness and perhaps the most inspirational part of their story. All just how I take it.

Just like Hatchetaxe&saw just said, this list could (would) change day by day...

Drowse

The Prophet Song

Misfire

Some Day One Day

Long Away

It's Late

Let Me Live

Coming Soon

I Go Crazy

Sweet list as well. I love I Go Crazy. IMO should've somehow replaced Tear It Up on The Works.

"I Go Crazy" wasn't on original album. It was released on the 12" released of "Radio Ga Ga" and as a B side to the "Radio Ga Ga" single.

I bought the extended play vinyl and I bet I played that song a million times...loudly.

I had my first apartment at the time and my rock and roll 45s truly enraged the folks on the lower floor! :)

Oh I know, it came with the bonus EP on my iTunes delux version. I just wish it would've made the original rather than Tear It Up.

Some of those B-sides were class, A Human Body.

I haven't looked too far into the B-sides, should do that.

• Like 1

I love all of them, but for me the best run would be from QII through News. Jazz through Hot Space seems a tad less appealing to me in places, and The Works through Innuendo is this incredible build to lasting greatness and perhaps the most inspirational part of their story. All just how I take it.

Drowse

The Prophet Song

Misfire

Some Day One Day

Long Away

It's Late

Let Me Live

Coming Soon

I Go Crazy

Oh I know, it came with the bonus EP on my iTunes delux version. I just wish it would've made the original rather than Tear It Up.

Some of those B-sides were class, A Human Body.

I haven't looked too far into the B-sides, should do that.

There weren't that many non album ones, but the few they had were very good. Some great ones on The Miracle singles.

• Like 1

I keep debating where to put Innuendo in my album ranking. I always dreamed it would contend with ANATO for my fav, but I'm not so sure it's that good. The Miracle is my fifth fav, and I'm pretty sure I like The Miracle a bit better, but then again TM is more of a concise, classic, fun Queen album, whereas Innuendo is an epic rock opera with an incredible, real-life contextual concept (IMO). Tough decisions. Innuendo is just so different from any other Queen album I've listened to. The sheer mamosity of dark intensity shrouding the thing makes me wonder if I'm hearing a rush released, not quite though through project, or a masterminded transcendental swan song with minor flaws. Most days I think it's somewhere between the two.

I keep debating where to put Innuendo in my album ranking. I always dreamed it would contend with ANATO for my fav, but I'm not so sure it's that good. The Miracle is my fifth fav, and I'm pretty sure I like The Miracle a bit better, but then again TM is more of a concise, classic, fun Queen album, whereas Innuendo is an epic rock opera with an incredible, real-life contextual concept (IMO). Tough decisions. Innuendo is just so different from any other Queen album I've listened to. The sheer mamosity of dark intensity shrouding the thing makes me wonder if I'm hearing a rush released, not quite though through project, or a masterminded transcendental swan song with minor flaws. Most days I think it's somewhere between the two.

What are your thoughts on "Made in Heaven"?

What are your thoughts on "Made in Heaven"?

Last one I need to get to complete my collection of the full original discography. I'm really very excited for it what with the 20 minute mystery track (I don't care what it is, don't tell me anything) and the little clips of songs I've heard from it. Once I get it I'll get to look back over four years of collection and think over what a wonderful journey it's been.

• Like 1

Last one I need to get to complete my collection of the full original discography. I'm really very excited for it what with the 20 minute mystery track (I don't care what it is, don't tell me anything) and the little clips of songs I've heard from it. Once I get it I'll get to look back over four years of collection and think over what a wonderful journey it's been.

I really think you'll love "Made in Heaven"...John, Roger and Brian really honoured Freddie's last work with some of their best work musically.

• Like 1

I really think you'll love "Made in Heaven"...John, Roger and Brian really honoured Freddie's last work with some of their best work musically.

I really hope so too.

Listened to Sheer Heart Attack.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect.

Fortunately, I was captivated from the very first song on the album - Brighton Rock. The first thing I noticed was the extraordinary guitarist. Move over Alex.

The rest of the album is all over the place - you can't pin them down.

In the context of the time back then, they must have been mind blowing because there was no one else like them around. Has there been anyone else like them since???

She Makes Me is a very pretty song. There are other songs on the album I liked too. I remembered as soon as I heard Killer Queen that they used to play that on the radio.

I don't know how or why I missed delving into them back then. Too bad for me.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 7

Listened to Sheer Heart Attack.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect.

Fortunately, I was captivated from the very first song on the album - Brighton Rock. The first thing I noticed was the extraordinary guitarist. Move over Alex.

The rest of the album is all over the place - you can't pin them down.

In the context of the time back then, they must have been mind blowing because there was no one else like them around. Has there been anyone else like them since???

She Makes Me is a very pretty song. There are other songs on the album I liked too. I remembered as soon as I heard Killer Queen that they used to play that on the radio.

I don't know how or why I missed delving into them back then. Too bad for me.

Yes thats always been my favorite Queen album. It pretty much has everything. After that I find them to be uneven, yet I still really like them.

• Like 4

What's the best concert dvd from the very late seventies/early eighties?

For the early 80's, Queen Rock Montreal (1981) which also includes the Live Aid (1982) performance. Both are classic. Montreal was actually filmed for cinematic release, so it's visually stunning. Live Aid 82 is an all-time classic performance, although short.

For 70s Queen, Live at the Rainbow '74 is jaw-droppingly phenomenal :haz: It's from the Sheer Heart Attack tour, which you've already done yourself the favour of becoming familiar with (one of my favourite albums)

Live at Wembley 86 is a good one too

• Like 3

Rainbow for the 70's. montreal 81 for early 80's. even Freddie gets pissed off at the crowd at Montreal. i guesss they were sitting on their hands, lol

Mick

• Like 3

For the early 80's, Queen Rock Montreal (1981) which also includes the Live Aid (1982) performance. Both are classic. Montreal was actually filmed for cinematic release, so it's visually stunning. Live Aid 82 is an all-time classic performance, although short.

For 70s Queen, Live at the Rainbow '74 is jaw-droppingly phenomenal :haz: It's from the Sheer Heart Attack tour, which you've already done yourself the favour of becoming familiar with (one of my favourite albums)

Live at Wembley 86 is a good one too

Thanks, Lion! I will check them out on Amazon.

• Like 1

Rainbow for the 70's. montreal 81 for early 80's. even Freddie gets pissed off at the crowd at Montreal. i guesss they were sitting on their hands, lol

Mick

I guess it's unanimous that these are the best concert dvds.

Thanks, Mick!

• Like 2

Mick

I guess it's unanimous that these are the best concert dvds.

Thanks, Mick!

Anytime.......Whembley 86 is ok......but it's not Freddie's finest vocal hour.

Shit i forgot live at the Bowl that's awesome too.

Mick

• Like 1

Almost finished listening to A Night At The Opera.

I am at a loss for words really and don't know where to begin.

They sure did march to their own drummer. They were nowhere even remotely near any other band of the time. They were off in their own musical world.

Who wrote these songs? They are, on two albums now, all over the place musically - we go from acoustics to Three Penny Opera/Sweeney Todd type music to Led Zeppelin music.

I can't listen to them without laughing. That's not a bad thing. And I think Steely Dan met their match in the lyrics department.

• Like 5