"All The Journeys Of This Great Adventure"- My re-discovery of this great band known as Rush..

fraroc

I was on board until Rivendell. That song is gorgeous, and I certainly don't understand how the lyrics are "pretentious"

Amen

Rivendell was quite ambitious for where the band was developmentally at the time. Really interesting sounds, and peaceful...so peaceful. The lyrics are wonderful to hear in light of the inspiration from the books.

Fraroc misfires on In the End as well. That song is freaking amazing.

Fly by Night, while a catchy tune is not on the same level as Limelight or Freewill. Musically too simplistic, and certainly lacking in the cinematic department...still a good sing.

And I literally just complimented the song and called it decent...

• Like 1

I was on board until Rivendell. That song is gorgeous, and I certainly don't understand how the lyrics are "pretentious"

Amen

Rivendell was quite ambitious for where the band was developmentally at the time. Really interesting sounds, and peaceful...so peaceful. The lyrics are wonderful to hear in light of the inspiration from the books.

Fraroc misfires on In the End as well. That song is freaking amazing.

Fly by Night, while a catchy tune is not on the same level as Limelight or Freewill. Musically too simplistic, and certainly lacking in the cinematic department...still a good sing.

And I literally just complimented the song and called it decent...

Relax Brosaucerous

I just listened to all of Caress of Steel on my way to school....I'll post my full detailed review later today and boy have I got a lot to say....

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Boy oh boy....what an album....I know you've been waiting for this review, time for me to review what many fans claim is the most underrated Rush album alongside Hold Your Fire and Presto....

CARESS OF STEEL (1975)

1. Bastille Day

Rating: 10/10

My Thoughts: What else can I say other than this f***ing song kicks ass? Even before I listened to the whole album, I always thought this was a awesome song. Who'd think that a song about the French Revolution would be a kick-ass rocker? The solo is pretty damn good, but the riff alone is to die for!

Would I Like To See It Live?: Of course, I would have actually preferred this one to Lakeside Park.

2. I Think I'm Going Bald

Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: The lyrics to this song are so stupid, yet I really do like this one. Lyrics put aside, it's a solid rocker that I think could have really fit on the debut or Fly By Night. Many people have compared this to KISS' Going Blind...Musically, I like ITIGB better because it's a kickass rock song while Going Blind is more ballad-like, which at the time KISS wasn't really known for. But I think Going Blind has better lyrics (shocking for a KISS song, amirite?) Either way, it's a fun little ditty and I certainly don't hate it.

Would I Like To See It Live?: I think it'd sound okay live so...yeah!

3. Lakeside Park

Rating: 8/10

My Thoughts: So far, I think this is Rush's happiest song. I mean, it's a song about an amusment park and as an avid roller coaster enthusiast, it really strikes a chord with me about all the times I've been on roller coasters as a kid going to places like Hersheypark and Dorney Park! Also, it has such a good message of cherishing good memories....Musically it's a very happy song, upbeat, yet mellow at times. I really like this one

Would I Like To See It Live?: Of course, and I did actually!

4. The Necromancer

My Thoughts: Okay, so this is one of the two really long songs on this record...I really didn't think I was going to like this one, but I thought it was pretty good. Like most prog rock songs I like, I love the genre shifts in between the narration parts. I love how it starts off in sort of a trippy, Pink Floyd-ish way, then it transforms into a Zeppelin-like rocker, and for the third part, transforms into a mellow, acoustic based almost "Hard Luck Woman"-ish sort of thing. Overall, It is a pretty good song and not overly proggy and pretentious like Yes.

Would I Like To See It Live?: Realistically, no. Not the whole thing, but that instrumental part in the second part is f***ing awesome and I feel like that could be an awesome sort of band jam.

5. The Fountain of Lamneth

Rating: 7.5/10

My Thoughts: Okay...here is the one I was fearing. The huge f***ing 20 minute song....Now don't get me wrong, I like it musically. It really amplifies everything about The Necromancer, the genre shifts, the mood shifts and everything about that and really boosts it to the next extreme with five seperate parts to this song a la 2112...And don't get me wrong, the music itself is DAMN good, I have nothing against it. BUT....

My problem with this song is that Rush didn't know when the hell to stop. What they should have done with this song was split it into five separate songs and make it sort of a "concept" half album. That way, I feel like the whole story and artistic value of Lamneth will be easier to take in, if you know what I mean...

Would I Like To See It Live?: Maybe only one of the five parts, but the whole thing would just be too much.

• Like 2

Hard to say if Rivendell is their worst song if you've not heard all of their music yet? ;)

Rivendell is their worst song.

Nah, not by a long way.

• Like 1

Hard to say if Rivendell is their worst song if you've not heard all of their music yet? ;)

Nah, not by a long way.

Whats worse? Speed of Love? Evem Virtuality has kick ass music. Rivendell just has nothing.

Tai Shan is pretty cringe worthy.

Nah, not by a long way.

Whats worse? Speed of Love? Evem Virtuality has kick ass music. Rivendell just has nothing.

Superconductor, Speed Of Love, Virtuality are awful too in my view. There is nothing they produced from 74'- even 85' that is as bad as quite a few songs that came later. Just my opinion

Nah, not by a long way.

Superconductor, Speed Of Love, Virtuality are awful too in my view. There is nothing they produced from 74'- even 85' that is as bad as quite a few songs that came later. Just my opinion

I don't really mind any of those but Superconductor would be my least favorite.

And don't forget about the awesomeness that is side two. Also you may want to go back and give Here Again another listen. I think you must have missed something... :)
  • Like 1

Another thing I really should have mentioned beforehand is that alongside my reviews, I 100% encourage feedback. Whether it's negative or positive...Whether you agree or disagree, it's all welcome here. Edited by fraroc

3. Lakeside Park

My Thoughts: So far, I think this is Rush's happiest song. I mean, it's a song about an amusment park and as an avid roller coaster enthusiast, it really strikes a chord with me about all the times I've been on roller coasters as a kid going to places like Hersheypark and Dorney Park! Also, it has such a good message of cherishing good memories....Musically it's a very happy song, upbeat, yet mellow at times. I really like this one

Interesting how the same song can be interpreted completely different -

I love Lakeside Park, but I find a very sad undertone throughout the entire song - I don't see it as happy at all . .

Still we saw the magic, was fading every year is the line that stands out for me, and creates the tone for the entire song ...

Neil obviously liked The Twilight Zone TV series, and Lakeside Park has always reminded me of an episode in which a grown man returns to his childhood hometown, as an adult, but the surroundings of the town, and the people, have not aged .... The character is unwelcome and completely out of place, and it is quite sad ..

And more recent Neil has made some very sad quotes regarding nostalgia:

To get nostalgic about other people's music, or even about your own, makes a terrible statement about the condition of your life and your prospects for the future

The tragic deaths of his daughter and wife not withstanding, I think Neil has always been somewhat of a tormented individual, esp when it comes to happiness

Edited by Lucas

3. Lakeside Park

I love Lakeside Park, but I find a very sad undertone throughout the entire song - I don't see it as happy at all . .

Still we saw the magic, was fading every year is the line that stands out for me, and creates the tone for the entire song ...

Neil obviously liked The Twilight Zone TV series, and Lakeside Park has always reminded me of an episode in which a grown man returns to his childhood hometown, as an adult, but the surroundings of the town, and the people, have not aged .... The character is unwelcome and completely out of place, and it is quite sad ..

To get nostalgic about other people's music, or even about your own, makes a terrible statement about the condition of your life and your prospects for the future

The tragic deaths of his daughter and wife not withstanding, I think Neil has always been somewhat of a tormented individual, esp when it comes to happiness

Still we saw the magic, was fading every year

You see, that line in the lyric could also be interpreted as normal after-summer letdown. The weather gets colder, the days get shorter, kids go back to school...Going with the theme of the song, many major amusment parks that are not in California or Florida go into their off-season in the autumn after Halloween passes.

I'm not saying you're wrong BTW.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

3. Lakeside Park

Still we saw the magic, was fading every year

You see, that line in the lyric could also be interpreted as normal after-summer letdown. The weather gets colder, the days get shorter, kids go back to school...Going with the theme of the song, many major amusment parks that are not in California or Florida go into their off-season in the autumn after Halloween passes.

I'm not saying you're wrong BTW.

I always thought of the song as sort of bitter sweet. The particular line in the song in question I think means as they reach adulthood it's less and less enjoyable. Reality and real life responsibility setting in. That was always my take anyway...
  • Like 1

Boy oh boy....what an album....I know you've been waiting for this review, time for me to review what many fans claim is the most underrated Rush album alongside Hold Your Fire and Presto....

CARESS OF STEEL (1975)

1. Bastille Day

Rating: 10/10

My Thoughts: What else can I say other than this f***ing song kicks ass? Even before I listened to the whole album, I always thought this was a awesome song. Who'd think that a song about the French Revolution would be a kick-ass rocker? The solo is pretty damn good, but the riff alone is to die for!

Would I Like To See It Live?: Of course, I would have actually preferred this one to Lakeside Park.

2. I Think I'm Going Bald

Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: The lyrics to this song are so stupid, yet I really do like this one. Lyrics put aside, it's a solid rocker that I think could have really fit on the debut or Fly By Night. Many people have compared this to KISS' Going Blind...Musically, I like ITIGB better because it's a kickass rock song while Going Blind is more ballad-like, which at the time KISS wasn't really known for. But I think Going Blind has better lyrics (shocking for a KISS song, amirite?) Either way, it's a fun little ditty and I certainly don't hate it.

Would I Like To See It Live?: I think it'd sound okay live so...yeah!

3. Lakeside Park

4. The Necromancer

My Thoughts: Okay, so this is one of the two really long songs on this record...I really didn't think I was going to like this one, but I thought it was pretty good. Like most prog rock songs I like, I love the genre shifts in between the narration parts. I love how it starts off in sort of a trippy, Pink Floyd-ish way, then it transforms into a Zeppelin-like rocker, and for the third part, transforms into a mellow, acoustic based almost "Hard Luck Woman"-ish sort of thing. Overall, It is a pretty good song and not overly proggy and pretentious like Yes.

Would I Like To See It Live?: Realistically, no. Not the whole thing, but that instrumental part in the second part is f***ing awesome and I feel like that could be an awesome sort of band jam.

5. The Fountain of Lamneth

Rating: 7.5/10

My Thoughts: Okay...here is the one I was fearing. The huge f***ing 20 minute song....Now don't get me wrong, I like it musically. It really amplifies everything about The Necromancer, the genre shifts, the mood shifts and everything about that and really boosts it to the next extreme with five seperate parts to this song a la 2112...And don't get me wrong, the music itself is DAMN good, I have nothing against it. BUT....

My problem with this song is that Rush didn't know when the hell to stop. What they should have done with this song was split it into five separate songs and make it sort of a "concept" half album. That way, I feel like the whole story and artistic value of Lamneth will be easier to take in, if you know what I mean...

Would I Like To See It Live?: Maybe only one of the five parts, but the whole thing would just be too much.

This is an album that kind of grows on you the more you listen to it. I can understand why your low rating of TFOL. That's definitely a song that gets better the more you listen to it. I don't listen to it that much because it's so long, but if I'm on a long drive or something I'll definitely give it a spin.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

How can you rediscover a band you never stopped listening too, and whose work you were barely familiar with?
  • Like 1

How can you rediscover a band you never stopped listening too, and whose work you were barely familiar with?

I was wondering the same. I thought he said he had really never heard any of this music a few weeks or so back. You can't rediscover something you never had of heard in this case :huh: . I am still interested however. It was a blast for me to go through HYF- current after never hearing them before ever... :)
  • Like 1

Hard to argue this statement....but as a long time Tolkien fan, this song still doesn't get skipped when it comes up on my random Rush playlist....I listen and put myself around an Elfin bonfire with a hot Elf girl....while hitting the pipe with Gandalf and Elrond.

• Like 4

Hard to argue this statement....but as a long time Tolkien fan, this song still doesn't get skipped when it comes up on my random Rush playlist....I listen and put myself around an Elfin bonfire with a hot Elf girl....while hitting the pipe with Gandalf and Elrond.

:smoke:

(copypastas post explaining it)

I was always aware of Rush's existence. Pretty much ever since I was a little boy. I always known they were a good band by the little I've listened to, it wasn't until (and I'll get to this in my Moving Pictures review) I listened to Witch Hunt and joined this site that I had began to discover how good Rush really was....I just failed to mention that even though I do like a lot of deep cuts and 80s tunes, I've never listened to most of their more proggy songs like Hemispheres.

This thread is going to serve as a vehicle for my "second discovery" of Rush.