"All The Journeys Of This Great Adventure"- My re-discovery of this great band known as Rush..

fraroc

Recently, I've made the decision to go back and time and re-discover Rush's music from the bottom up...And what better way to do it than in chronological order?! This thread is going to have one purpose only for me, sharing my experiences in listening to all of Rush's songs, whether I've know them by heart or I've never ever heard them before in my life...I really hope that this thread also inspires people who haven't been listening to Rush lately to give it another whirl and re-enter the world of Rush!

This is how it's going to work, I will write a small blurb about what I feel about a certain song, rate it out of 10, and say whether or whether not I'd like to see it live or not....so here we go....

RUSH (1974)

1. Finding My Way

Rating: 8/10

My Thoughts: What can you say? This is Rush's first song! (Well, first song on the debut album...but whatever) I really like this one. A solid rocker with a kickass guitar riff! Geddy Lee was really channeling his inner Robert Plant with this song, so I get what Gene Simmons says when he referred to them as "Canadian Zeppelin". Overall, I feel this awesome song was the right way to kickstart Rush's 41 year career!

Would I Like To See It Live:Hell yes! If they had done this song as the R40 encore, that would have been perfect for me! If they had done this song and The Garden from Clockwork Angels, we would have really had a setlist go "From first to last"

2. Need Some Love

Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: I really like this short little song by Rush, but I must say, It's odd to see Geddy Lee singing about wanting to love a girl in almost a KISS-esque fashion. It almost doesn't sound like a Rush tune at all, especially after hearing Ged singing about dining on honeydew and madmen fed on fear and lies. Overall, it's a good rockin' song with a good riff.

Would I like To See It Live: I wouldn't have been opposed to it if they played it as part of the R40 encore. It's a fast paced song and I think the audience would really like it.

3. Take A Friend

My Thoughts: I know of Rush fans that really don't like this song. I'm NOT one of them. Compared to the other songs on the debut, the intro riff and outro riff has sort of a "Anthem" esque feel to it, however the rest of the song is pretty reminiscent of the other rockers on the album. It's a pretty good song about going out in the world and making friends. The instrumental part is pretty good, even though you'd kind of expect it would be a little more intricate and more complicated...Just goes to show you how much influence Neil had once he joined.

Would I like To See It Live: I'd personally like to see this song done live, but I think it would be too much of a deep cut for the audience.

4. Here Again

Rating: 4/10

My Thoughts: I'm sorry, but while Rush was absolutely f***ing AMAZING at progressive rock, psychadelic stoner music is really not their forte and you can definitely tell with this attempt at a stoner-esque "hey man wanna get high?" song. The song itself is only 7 minutes, but it seems longer than Xanadu...then again Xanadu doesn't seem 12 minutes long, but I'll get to that on my A Farewell To Kings review....Overall, this song is just boring and un-Rush like. Even for this album.

Would I Like To See It Live: A shortened version would be tolerable, but NOT the whole song.

5. What You're Doing

Rating: 9/10

My Thoughts: God DAMN this song is good! I really like this one, probably because it sorta kinda reminds me of Watchin' You by KISS. But the fact that the songs sound kind of similar put aside, I like What You're Doing on it's own too! Alex's riff and Geddy's Robert Plant-esque vocal melodies are catchy as all hell! I think I even like it better than Wachin' You!

Would I Like To See It Live: Hell Yeah! And I did, it was the first time I ever listened to this song and I fell in love with it straight away!

6. In The Mood

My Thoughts: I love this song! I always have and I always will! Despite not having as "artistic" of lyrics as what is to come in Rush's history, I'd still rank it up there with songs like Limelight. The riff is catchy and John Rutsey's drumming is good also. It's odd to see Rush singing a song about flirting with a chick, but that's one of the beauties of pre-Neil Rush, in my honest opinion!

Would I Like To See It Live: Of course! If they had done this song instead of What You're Doing, I'd still would have been content!

7. Before and After

My Thoughts: I almost thought this was an instrumental when I first listened to this one, but this song is a classic case of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Once it hits that 2:20 mark, it just gets going and doesn't stop! What you expect is a boring song like Here Again turned into another kick-ass rocker! I feel the intro kind of drags along, but once you hit that threshold, it just kicks your ass! I'm glad I listened to it all the way through!

Would I Like To See It Live: Yes if they'd do a shorter intro or cut it completely. Gotta trim the fat somewhere.

8. Working Man

My Thoughts: Technically Rush's first hit and it's a damn f***ing good song! Alex really channeled his inner Tony Iommi with this one because it really sounds just like a Black Sabbath tune at times. Alex's solo also really kicks ass as well. The middle of the song defnitley kicks ass, it almost has sort of an "Iron Man" like feel to it. You know how the main melody is slow and plodding, yet in the middle it really picks up? Overall, it's a kick ass song and it's a good way to end a pretty solid album, with an exception (Here Again).

Would I like To See It Live: Of course! And I did actually on the R40 tour, this song I think sounds even better live in fact!

• Like 11

Recently, I've made the decision to go back and time and re-discover Rush's music from the bottom up...And what better way to do it than in chronological order?! This thread is going to have one purpose only for me, sharing my experiences in listening to all of Rush's songs, whether I've know them by heart or I've never ever heard them before in my life...I really hope that this thread also inspires people who haven't been listening to Rush lately to give it another whirl and re-enter the world of Rush!

This is how it's going to work, I will write a small blurb about what I feel about a certain song, rate it out of 10, and say whether or whether not I'd like to see it live or not....so here we go....

RUSH (1974)

1. Finding My Way

My Thoughts: What can you say? This is Rush's first song! (Well, first song on the debut album...but whatever) I really like this one. A solid rocker with a kickass guitar riff! Geddy Lee was really channeling his inner Robert Plant with this song, so I get what Gene Simmons says when he referred to them as "Canadian Zeppelin". Overall, I feel this awesome song was the right way to kickstart Rush's 41 year career!

Would I Like To See It Live:Hell yes! If they had done this song as the R40 encore, that would have been perfect for me! If they had done this song and The Garden from Clockwork Angels, we would have really had a setlist go "From first to last"

2. Need Some Love

My Thoughts: I really like this short little song by Rush, but I must say, It's odd to see Geddy Lee singing about wanting to love a girl in almost a KISS-esque fashion. It almost doesn't sound like a Rush tune at all, especially after hearing Ged singing about dining on honeydew and madmen fed on fear and lies. Overall, it's a good rockin' song with a good riff.

Would I like To See It Live: I wouldn't have been opposed to it if they played it as part of the R40 encore. It's a fast paced song and I think the audience would really like it.

3. Take A Friend

My Thoughts: I know of Rush fans that really don't like this song. I'm NOT one of them. Compared to the other songs on the debut, the intro riff and outro riff has sort of a "Anthem" esque feel to it, however the rest of the song is pretty reminiscent of the other rockers on the album. It's a pretty good song about going out in the world and making friends. The instrumental part is pretty good, even though you'd kind of expect it would be a little more intricate and more complicated...Just goes to show you how much influence Neil had once he joined.

Would I like To See It Live: I'd personally like to see this song done live, but I think it would be too much of a deep cut for the audience.

4. Here Again

My Thoughts: I'm sorry, but while Rush was absolutely f***ing AMAZING at progressive rock, psychadelic stoner music is really not their forte and you can definitely tell with this attempt at a stoner-esque "hey man wanna get high?" song. The song itself is only 7 minutes, but it seems longer than Xanadu...then again Xanadu doesn't seem 12 minutes long, but I'll get to that on my A Farewell To Kings review....Overall, this song is just boring and un-Rush like. Even for this album.

Would I Like To See It Live: A shortened version would be tolerable, but NOT the whole song.

5. What You're Doing

My Thoughts: God DAMN this song is good! I really like this one, probably because it sorta kinda reminds me of Watchin' You by KISS. But the fact that the songs sound kind of similar put aside, I like What You're Doing on it's own too! Alex's riff and Geddy's Robert Plant-esque vocal melodies are catchy as all hell! I think I even like it better than Wachin' You!

Would I Like To See It Live: Hell Yeah! And I did, it was the first time I ever listened to this song and I fell in love with it straight away!

6. In The Mood

My Thoughts: I love this song! I always have and I always will! Despite not having as "artistic" of lyrics as what is to come in Rush's history, I'd still rank it up there with songs like Limelight. The riff is catchy and John Rutsey's drumming is good also. It's odd to see Rush singing a song about flirting with a chick, but that's one of the beauties of pre-Neil Rush, in my honest opinion!

Would I Like To See It Live: Of course! If they had done this song instead of What You're Doing, I'd still would have been content!

7. Before and After

My Thoughts: I almost thought this was an instrumental when I first listened to this one, but this song is a classic case of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Once it hits that 2:20 mark, it just gets going and doesn't stop! What you expect is a boring song like Here Again turned into another kick-ass rocker! I feel the intro kind of drags along, but once you hit that threshold, it just kicks your ass! I'm glad I listened to it all the way through!

Would I Like To See It Live: Yes if they'd do a shorter intro or cut it completely. Gotta trim the fat somewhere.

8. Working Man

My Thoughts: Technically Rush's first hit and it's a damn f***ing good song! Alex really channeled his inner Tony Iommi with this one because it really sounds just like a Black Sabbath tune at times. Alex's solo also really kicks ass as well. The middle of the song defnitley kicks ass, it almost has sort of an "Iron Man" like feel to it. You know how the main melody is slow and plodding, yet in the middle it really picks up? Overall, it's a kick ass song and it's a good way to end a pretty solid album, with an exception (Here Again).

Would I like To See It Live: Of course! And I did actually on the R40 tour, this song I think sounds even better live in fact!

4 out of ten for here again? :smoke:
  • Like 3

I like Here Again actually

It's nice to see a positive topic from you. Instead of wallowing about being ignorant of Rush, you're using this as a gateway to discovery. I look forward to seeing your other updates as you dig further into the catalog once unknown to you

• Like 4

The debut and I have a mixed relationship. Most of the songs don't do much for me as Rush songs, but they're all very listenable tunes. Kind of a "no risk, no reward" situation where nothing on the debut really offends me, but nothing stands out.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but not exactly this... I might start a thread here soon if people like reading reviews of songs like this... Part of me just figured no one would want to read me going on about stuff, but I had a pretty unique idea for rating songs over their career.

• Like 2

When I first started reading your original post my first thought was that maybe you should listen to each album several times before you rate the songs. Sometimes your first impression changes on repeated listenings.
  • Like 4

I like your writing style and Finding My Way is a favorite of mine as well. I'll be interested to see your other reviews! And now you will have a record of them somewhere to look at later. As EagleMoon said, (and I agree) sometimes it's surprising how a feeling about a song can change either with repeated listenings or with the passing of time before you hear it again.
  • Like 1

One question. If you weren't really a rush fan when you joined for a year ago ( based on a previous thread of yours) how can you "rediscover" rush?

I was always aware of Rush's existence. Pretty much ever since I was a little boy. I always known they were a good band by the little I've listened to, it wasn't until (and I'll get to this in my Moving Pictures review) I listened to Witch Hunt and joined this site that I had began to discover how good Rush really was....I just failed to mention that even though I do like a lot of deep cuts and 80s tunes, I've never listened to most of their more proggy songs like Hemispheres.

This thread is going to serve as a vehicle for my "second discovery" of Rush.

• Like 3

4/10 for Here Again? Dude, was that your skull? You're so wasted!

Definitely a 10/10. Every frickin' second of that song is filled with rocked out emotion. It pulls at my heart, man. IT PULLS AT MY HEART! Anyone who would rate that 4/10 doesn't know what he's speakin' about.

You know what you're speakin' about with all your other ratings on the other songs on the album. I recently really got into this one again and love it now more than I ever have before. Rutsey was a damn fine drummer, too. Would never give up Peart's amazing talents though.

Oh, and I'd give Before and After a 10/10 also.

I'll be checking out your further posts.

• Like 1

RUSH (1974)

1. Finding My Way

2. Need Some Love

3. Take A Friend

4. Here Again

5. What You're Doing

6. In The Mood

7. Before and After

8. Working Man

Your comment on Watchin' You and What You're Doing is interesting - I've never thought about the two songs like that, but it is an interesting observation ... There is a similarity, now that you mention it

I love the debut

• Like 1

4/10 for Here Again? Dude, was that your skull? You're so wasted!

Definitely a 10/10. Every frickin' second of that song is filled with rocked out emotion. It pulls at my heart, man. IT PULLS AT MY HEART! Anyone who would rate that 4/10 doesn't know what he's speakin' about.

You know what you're speakin' about with all your other ratings on the other songs on the album. I recently really got into this one again and love it now more than I ever have before. Rutsey was a damn fine drummer, too. Would never give up Peart's amazing talents though.

Oh, and I'd give Before and After a 10/10 also.

I'll be checking out your further posts.

As a huge fan of Here Again and Before and After I'd give this post more than one like if I could

I don't even own this album

Me either. Just listened to it (I had only heard two songs previously) yesterday. Mostly bleh to me. I've got plenty of other Rush albums to keep me happy!

Me either. Just listened to it (I had only heard two songs previously) yesterday. Mostly bleh to me. I've got plenty of other Rush albums to keep me happy!

:doublegasp:

This was my first RUSH love. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Snakes and Arrows was my first Rush love. Go figure. :LOL:

Wow. That's more than a gasp or double gasp. I might've soiled myself.

• Like 2

Wow. That's more than a gasp or double gasp. I might've soiled myself.

I listened to it for months in 2008, then realized I recognized radio hits off MP and PeW. Then I went from there.

And so begins the story of TOG.

• Like 2