SONG BATTLE: Bohemian Rhapsody vs. Xanadu

Segue Myles

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these classics is the best?

• Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Rush: Xanadu

If waynes world hadn't killed Bohemian Rapsody, I would have said BR,

so

Xanadu -

Have you seen Wayne's World that many times? ;)

I can live out the rest of my days never hearing "Bohemian Rhapsody" again and I would be content. I can play the damn song in my head, note for note. It's an obviously great song on many levels, but it probably the most overplayed song in creation. "Xanadu" gets my vote.
  • Like 1

Still say Bohemian Rhapsody is better. There's something about a good piano ballad that really gets me. And then there's that godly guitar solo…

The way all the different parts of Bohemian Rhapsody flow together so seamlessly is nothing short of a stroke of genius. And, as always, Freddie Mercury's vocals make me wonder if he was even human.

I love Xanadu, very much, but Bohemian Rhapsody is more polished and exciting.

• Like 2

Still say Bohemian Rhapsody is better. There's something about a good piano ballad that really gets me. And then there's that godly guitar solo…

The way all the different parts of Bohemian Rhapsody flow together so seamlessly is nothing short of a stroke of genius. And, as always, Freddie Mercury's vocals make me wonder if he was even human.

You know that BR was (I think) three (might have been four - I forgot the exact number) different songs put together, didn't you? I didn't know that, that's why I ask if you know it. I just found that out about a month or so ago.

Edited by Lorraine

You know that BR was (I think) three (might have been four - I forgot the exact number) different songs put together, didn't you? I didn't know that, that's why I ask if you know it. I just found that out about a month or so ago.

I had a feeling, though I never actually knew. It kind of reminds me of Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel—he basically said that was three unfinished songs stitched together. Bohemian Rhapsody, of course, is a much better song, but I find the two similar in structure.

I heard about Rush in 1991 at the end of their "pop" era and it took quite a while before I dicovered their progressive time. And it took much more time to enjoy songs like Xanadu.

But now I won't hesitate one second when it's time to vote!

The BASS line makes a world of difference in countless Rush songs battles vs you name it rock songs.....sorry...Geddy is a genius :geddy:

It seems that he is. I watched an interview with him, and I think it was Alex who said that Geddy explores each and every aspect of a song and how the bass will work in it. Geddy also explained the use of the bass in a way I had never thought about.

I've read a number of times over the years that Geddy plays the biggest part in the musical arrangements of the songs. No doubt Alex and Neil make great contributions as well. But I think a big reason Geddy is so involved is because he has to sing too. So, he has to arrange everything in a way that makes it easiest for him to both sing and play at the same time. Which i'm sure can't be easy given how complex and technical a lot of their stuff is to play.

You are right. Alex said that when they are recording an album, Geddy rarely if ever sleeps. He never stops trying to perfect either the lyrics or the bass. One of the hardest things for him to do is to get inside Neil's head when it comes to singing the lyrics with feeling. He said he almost has to become Neil so he can get a handle on the emotion Neil used to write the lyrics so that he could sing them with genuine feeling.

I really do think he's a genius, and it surprises me greatly that he didn't do well in school. Just hearing him speak, it is evident his genius isn't just in music - he's intelligent .

But --------------- to you, he's a genius - to me, he's a genius - but to a genius, he's no genius. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Einstein did not do great in schooI I have heard :banghead:

I'm still a little shocked at how much disdain people wrote against Bohemian Rhapsody (and Queen in general a couple times) in this thread. I wonder if those who most vocally dislike Queen on TRF don't really mention it so much anymore, as I can't recall reading any super anti-Queen posts on here in a long time.

Am I surprised by the poll results though? Heck no. Xanadu is about Rush's most beloved creation by fans, and there are barely any other Rush songs that compete with it. A masterpiece for sure.

...I still prefer Bohemian Rhapsody though! :16ton:

Where`s the option to say both are hideously bloated?

Are you related to Fridge?

Are you Fridge in disguise?

Only Fridge says stuff like that.

And gets away with it too.

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

I even moved to Scotland to be like my hero, Fridge :cool:

I love long songs, but I really don`t like these two. I could name twenty 6 minute+ songs that are much more "me" :crazy:

• Like 2

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

I love long songs, but I really don`t like these two. I could name twenty 6 minute+ songs that are much more "me" :crazy:

Ready, set, go!

:popcorn:

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

Ready, set, go!

:lol: In no order, Searching, Andalusia (Joe Satriani), Opposites Attract Pt 2, Lotus Feet (Steve Vai), Aint` Talkin`, Highlands (Bob Dylan), Fall of the Peacemakers, Boogie No More (Molly Hatchet), Achilles Last Stand, In The Light (Led Zeppelin), Street Hassle (Lou Reed), Like A Hurricane, Natural Beauty (Neil Young), Billy Austin (Steve Earle), Dominion/Mother Russia, Lucretia My Reflection (Sisters of Mercy), Green Grass & High Tides (Outlaws), Telegraph Road (Dire Straits), Deadhead (Devin Townsend), Rising Power (Steve Morse), Goodbye Sky Harbor (Jimmy Eat World). Actually, that`s too many :o

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

Ready, set, go!

:lol: In no order, Searching, Andalusia (Joe Satriani), Opposites Attract Pt 2, Lotus Feet (Steve Vai), Aint` Talkin`, Highlands (Bob Dylan), Fall of the Peacemakers, Boogie No More (Molly Hatchet), Achilles Last Stand, In The Light (Led Zeppelin), Street Hassle (Lou Reed), Like A Hurricane, Natural Beauty (Neil Young), Billy Austin (Steve Earle), Dominion/Mother Russia, Lucretia My Reflection (Sisters of Mercy), Green Grass & High Tides (Outlaws), Telegraph Road (Dire Straits), Deadhead (Devin Townsend), Rising Power (Steve Morse), Goodbye Sky Harbor (Jimmy Eat World). Actually, that`s too many :o

:clap:

No Grateful Dead? Terrapin Station would likely top my list.

I think I'll make a thread...

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

Ready, set, go!

In the spirit of the task, I thought I should include only songs I know :blush:
  • Like 1

Cause we love him.

Isn't that right Fridge?

Ready, set, go!

In the spirit of the task, I thought I should include only songs I know :blush:

That's why a thread might be cool. Folks can turn others onto some attention-worthy longer songs. :ebert:
  • Like 1