SONG BATTLE: Bohemian Rhapsody vs. Xanadu

Segue Myles

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these classics is the best?

• Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Rush: Xanadu

Bohemian Rhapsody wins here! I love Queen!

Hand in your Fanboy Card. Pronto haha!

Queen and Rush are both number 1 to me

So...in a game of tug and war, would you be the rope?

I don't know what you mean there...

Never played it? Or is that an English playground game only?

Should be tug of war, not tug and war.

• Like 1

Bohemian Rhapsody wins here! I love Queen!

Hand in your Fanboy Card. Pronto haha!

Queen and Rush are both number 1 to me

So...in a game of tug and war, would you be the rope?

I don't know what you mean there...

Never played it? Or is that an English playground game only?

Should be tug of war, not tug and war.

As long as it's not tug and . . . . oh never mind.

• Like 1

Wow...I know Queen get a lot of a bad rap for being so well loved around the world and that this is The Rush Forum meaning Xanadu will win, but I really thought people had more respect for Bohemian Rhapsody. I suppose I'm biased, as Queen are my favorite band of all time with my favorite singer, probably my favorite guitarist, my favorite album, A Night At The Opera, and my favorite song, Bohemian Rhapsody, of all time...but the amount of hate here for such a wonderful band and such a preposterously beautiful song is still rather astonishing to me. Bohemian Rhapsody wins all battles for me, so there's my vote. I would never diss Rush in the name of Queen, or vice versa, but Xanadu doesn't quite live up to Bohemian Rhapsody for me.

:(

(Thanks for not hating, Mick and Zumbi)

• Like 3

The BASS line makes a world of difference in countless Rush songs battles vs you name it rock songs.....sorry...Geddy is a genius :geddy:

It seems that he is. I watched an interview with him, and I think it was Alex who said that Geddy explores each and every aspect of a song and how the bass will work in it. Geddy also explained the use of the bass in a way I had never thought about.

• Like 1

The BASS line makes a world of difference in countless Rush songs battles vs you name it rock songs.....sorry...Geddy is a genius :geddy:

It seems that he is. I watched an interview with him, and I think it was Alex who said that Geddy explores each and every aspect of a song and how the bass will work in it. Geddy also explained the use of the bass in a way I had never thought about.

I've read a number of times over the years that Geddy plays the biggest part in the musical arrangements of the songs. No doubt Alex and Neil make great contributions as well. But I think a big reason Geddy is so involved is because he has to sing too. So, he has to arrange everything in a way that makes it easiest for him to both sing and play at the same time. Which i'm sure can't be easy given how complex and technical a lot of their stuff is to play.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I've read a number of times over the years that Geddy plays the biggest part in the musical arrangements of the songs. No doubt Alex and Neil make great contributions as well. But I think a big reason Geddy is so involved is because he has to sing too. So, he has to arrange everything in a way that makes it easiest for him to both sing and play at the same time. Which i'm sure can't be easy given how complex and technical a lot of their stuff is to play.

You are right. Alex said that when they are recording an album, Geddy rarely if ever sleeps. He never stops trying to perfect either the lyrics or the bass. One of the hardest things for him to do is to get inside Neil's head when it comes to singing the lyrics with feeling. He said he almost has to become Neil so he can get a handle on the emotion Neil used to write the lyrics so that he could sing them with genuine feeling.

I really do think he's a genius, and it surprises me greatly that he didn't do well in school. Just hearing him speak, it is evident his genius isn't just in music - he's intelligent .

But --------------- to you, he's a genius - to me, he's a genius - but to a genius, he's no genius. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 3

Bohemian Rhapsody is criminally overrated (although Queen are a great band). Xanadu is the greatest song in the history of the universe!! :smoke:
  • Like 3

I hate Bohemian Rhapsody.

Glad Xanadu is doing so well. Although I don't think it's the greatest song in the world either.

• Like 1

You are right. Alex said that when they are recording an album, Geddy rarely if ever sleeps. He never stops trying to perfect either the lyrics or the bass. One of the hardest things for him to do is to get inside Neil's head when it comes to singing the lyrics with feeling. He said he almost has to become Neil so he can get a handle on the emotion Neil used to write the lyrics so that he could sing them with genuine feeling.

I really do think he's a genius, and it surprises me greatly that he didn't do well in school. Just hearing him speak, it is evident his genius isn't just in music - he's intelligent .

But --------------- to you, he's a genius - to me, he's a genius - but to a genius, he's no genius. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

It's also something that makes their music sound a little more unique. He writes his vocal lines from a bass player's point of view. So it comes off differently than it would if he were playing guitar or keyboards only. A lot of the songs have a weaving between the bass line and the vocal.

It's also something that makes their music sound a little more unique. He writes his vocal lines from a bass player's point of view. So it comes off differently than it would if he were playing guitar or keyboards only. A lot of the songs have a weaving between the bass line and the vocal.

I thought about you when he was talking about bass playing.

He said something along the lines that a bass player does the same thing the lead guitarist does, only quietly. A bass player carries the song.

I can't even begin to try on this one. Two iconic songs. I just cannot go against either one. I mean, what would Wayne's World have been without Queen?

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/489/74576570-a88f-0132-450b-0ebc4eccb42f.gif?

• Like 1

I thought about you when he was talking about bass playing.

He said something along the lines that a bass player does the same thing the lead guitarist does, only quietly. A bass player carries the song.

Well that's true. Generally but not always, the bass is there to do the rhythm along with the drums. It can be much harder to sing and play bass than it is to sing and play guitar because of the beat.

Edited by EagleMoon

I am a guitar player, and I love guitar

But Geddy Lee is one of my all time favorite musicians - he is so natural and sincere, and I mean that as a musician and the way he comes across as a person ..

He is irreplaceable in many many ways

• Like 1