Neil Peart bashes Kiss' all out marketing Approach

Self-Indulgence

You know why they sell this stuff? Because people buy it. End of story. Rush has never merchandised like some other bands. Heck for a long time you were lucky to find t-shirts and posters.

Remember - we all went through the 90's with Rush. I can't remember how many times I'd see posts on AOL or on the TNMS list asking why Rush wouldn't release even 1 DVD during that period.

It's true, there was a time when all you could find was official gear at shows, or non-offical stuff. After the hiatus..I guess with R40, they turned the marketing machine up to 8.. (Where KISS is a 15).

• Like 1

I agree with Neil.

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/CL/RUCLJAKCLO036_000.jpg?preset=details

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/21/RU21GOLSTR030_000.jpg?preset=details

http://s4.postimg.org/5n0zndbcd/Tat_2.jpg
  • Like 2

The one thing that you don't see is Rush junk all over K-mart and Wal-Mart and Target. etc.... I've never purchased anything more than maybe a Rush notepad anywhere other than a music store in the 35+ years I've been a fan.

Is that Rush's choice, or K-mart, Wal-Mart and Target's choice?

I'd say Rush's since they are the ones that hold the licensing!

The one thing that you don't see is Rush junk all over K-mart and Wal-Mart and Target. etc.... I've never purchased anything more than maybe a Rush notepad anywhere other than a music store in the 35+ years I've been a fan.

But the stores choose what they want to put on their shelves.

But Rush doesn't flood the market with their crap!

Kiss is all about marketing...they haven't released an album in10 years and you still see their junk in stores.

• Like 1

But Rush doesn't flood the market with their crap!

Kiss is all about marketing...they haven't released an album in10 years and you still see their junk in stores.

KISS has put out 2 new albums since 2009 - Sonic Boom and Monster

There is no bigger KISS fan than myself, but I will be the first to say that they lost me a long time ago - I still love them, as most KISS fans who grew up with them in the 1970s, it was much much more than the music ( although I will stand by those songs forever )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

lol

Neil, it was more than you understand

Too bad as that lifelong 16 year you claim to be, you've lost your spirit

http://s26.postimg.org/g1uabp9x5/10847962_10205717471925772_383447378663495784_n.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

NEIL !!

I can see that magic marker you are trying to hide !!

STOP WRITING ON THAT WALL

It is politically incorrect as someone will now have to paint over that crap !!!

459a0d89e180bced012e97165a7a5ae3.jpg

Hope they used oil paint. Because latex will not cover magic marker.

I agree with Neil.

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/CL/RUCLJAKCLO036_000.jpg?preset=details

http://www.rushbackstage.com/images/products/RU/21/RU21GOLSTR030_000.jpg?preset=details

What's wrong with either of those things?

Nothing. And nothing wrong with KISS leveraging their popularity in less than artful ways.

In Rush‘s early years, they opened for a number of major acts, learning the tricks of the trade from older masters – among them Kiss.

They say everyone got along, up until a point. “We would get high with Ace Frehley in his hotel room and make him laugh,” Geddy Lee tells Rolling Stone, “and they were a really good influence on us in terms of learning to put on a show.”

But Neil Peart recoiled from Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley‘s larger approach to marketing their band as a product. “I don’t want to knock them,” he says. “But once I was in a little restaurant in Kansas, and a guy with Kiss Army tattoos kept playing Kiss songs on the jukebox. He believed in a marketing campaign, swallowed it as religion. He was like a convert to Scientology.”

Peart says it went against the kind of musical purism that surrounded him as a youngster. “It’s about being your own hero,” he says. “I set out to never betray the values that 16-year-old had, to never sell out, to never bow to the man. A compromise is what I can never accept.”

That includes the on-stage rap that seems to surround most rock shows. “We would hear them give the same rap to the audience every night,” Peart says of bands they supported. “‘This is the greatest rock city in the world, man!’ That was creepy. I despise the cynical dishonesty.”

EPIC!

Oh and Self Indulgence. Your Screen Name says it all.

Neil isn't my HERO, he's my influence and mentor as a drummer.

Perhaps I was into "hero worship" as a kid falling in love with RUSH but now that I am 47 I play to RUSH music to make myself stronger. Mentally and physically.

Life is fukking short and RUSH will keep me young until my dying day.

As long as they don't come out with the Rush casket. :facepalm:

Let me tell you about ;rush: condoms

"Stick It Out" pre-lubed condoms.

Starman logo will be printed on each condom.

Have "condom sense" boys and girls.

It's a brutal viral world out there.

As long as they don't come out with the Rush casket. :facepalm:

Let me tell you about ;rush: condoms

"Stick It Out" pre-lubed condoms.

Starman logo will be printed on each condom.

Have "condom sense" boys and girls.

It's a brutal viral world out there.

The Weapon - Ribbed for pleasure
  • Like 2

Neil could make a comment about a dump he just took and it would create a twenty page thread on here.

With Rush toilet paper for $21.12 a roll to go with dump story.

:LOL:

Neil could make a comment about a dump he just took and it would create a twenty page thread on here.

With Rush toilet paper for $21.12 a roll to go with dump story.

.....And the story of his massive dump would be written in detail on said roll of toilet paper.

What's wrong with it?

Nada. Even before the days of "payola", music has been big business. Like you say, if you like it, listen. Don't worry too much about others' passion for merch.
  • Like 2