Neil Peart bashes Kiss' all out marketing Approach

Self-Indulgence

I like to remember the Neil Peart I imagined when I was 14 years old - an intellectual and musiclal genius. A man that inspires and motivates.

Now, he's just another "entertainer" who is not as smart as imagined.

I think his original intention was to usurp his idols and contemporaries on every "legitimate" level, and to create a reputation of "genius" in the rock world.

Now he is unintentionally eroding it all, lol. Maybe he rly just gives zero fcks at this stage of the game.

I like to remember the Neil Peart I imagined when I was 14 years old - an intellectual and musiclal genius. A man that inspires and motivates.

Now, he's just another "entertainer" who is not as smart as imagined.

I think his original intention was to usurp his idols and contemporaries on every "legitimate" level, and to create a reputation of "genius" in the rock world.

Now he is unintentionally eroding it all, lol. Maybe he rly just gives zero fcks at this stage of the game.

I think his original intention was only to become the best musician he could. And at 14, who or what doesn't seem bigger? As for now, who knows what he's really thinking? But he's a rich, old man with a very young daughter and a beautiful wife...if you were him, would you give a f**k about going through the grind of touring or would you rather embrace the family life (and free of financial burden)?

Gosh, I hope Geddy wasn't just going through the motions on Time Machine Cleveland gig when he said "Greatest audience ever!" Kinda proud of that accomplishment... ;)

He was talking to the cameras.. all of us! ;) ;)

Edited by MMCXII

Gosh, I hope Geddy wasn't just going through the motions on Time Machine Cleveland gig when he said "Greatest audience ever!" Kinda proud of that accomplishment... ;)

Actually, there might be some truth to the Cleveland comment - I think it was Gene Simmons who said that Cleveland and Detroit had the most best, most dedicated fans

KISS came from the NYC area, but they didn't write "Manhattan Rock City" :D

And Ian Hunter says of his song titled Cleveland Rocks:

" . . . the inspiration for 'Cleveland Rocks' goes back to the old days when people used to make fun of Cleveland. Cleveland was 'uncool' and LA and NYC were 'cool'. I didn't see it that way. Lotta heart in Cleveland .

I'm sure that in the early days, RUSH had some good experiences in places like Cleveland and Detroit - as did KISS - esp when the "cool" cities were shunning them

• Like 2

I loved Kiss when I was 10...saw em in 1978 when I was 11 on the Alive 2 tour...Jan 13 1978... by fall the solo lps came out...uh..oh....by Oct "Kiss Meets the Phantom"... mild embarassment...by Dynasty in 79 I didn't even feel bad for not going to see em...I was 12 and knew they peaked...started listening to Zeppelin...Rainbow with Cozy Powell on drums...then discovered Rush...paid no attention to Kiss until 96 reunion...by the 80s Kiss was flat out terrible...and I was exploring everything from Zappa to Weather Report to the Police...Missing Persons...Dixie Dregs...Fusion....punk..Souxsie and the Banchees...I couldn't return to Kiss....

In truth Kiss never got any better than early 1978.... the Elder made me laugh...like they saw the sucess of Rush and Floyd and said "let's try that" ...a concept album with no concept....

I thought Kiss royally screwed up with their rrhof induction too....play for the fans..who cares if its six guys...just do it...but no their petty battles ate em alive again...just like in the 70s.....kiss and van halen trip over their own dicks more than any bands I can think of really....

• Like 1

I loved Kiss when I was 10...saw em in 1978 when I was 11 on the Alive 2 tour...Jan 13 1978... by fall the solo lps came out...uh..oh....by Oct "Kiss Meets the Phantom"... mild embarassment...by Dynasty in 79 I didn't even feel bad for not going to see em...I was 12 and knew they peaked...started listening to Zeppelin...Rainbow with Cozy Powell on drums...then discovered Rush...paid no attention to Kiss until 96 reunion...by the 80s Kiss was flat out terrible...and I was exploring everything from Zappa to Weather Report to the Police...Missing Persons...Dixie Dregs...Fusion....punk..Souxsie and the Banchees...I couldn't return to Kiss....

In truth Kiss never got any better than early 1978.... the Elder made me laugh...like they saw the sucess of Rush and Floyd and said "let's try that" ...a concept album with no concept....

I thought Kiss royally screwed up with their rrhof induction too....play for the fans..who cares if its six guys...just do it...but no their petty battles ate em alive again...just like in the 70s.....kiss and van halen trip over their own dicks more than any bands I can think of really....

I agree with you JB

. . but that period from '73 thru '78 was magic ( I came aboard in 1975 ) ... even in retrospect, the band KISS was in say 1975 has not lost any of its luster - they were incredible, and to this day no band has put together a run comparable as far as taking the world by storm from the ground up . .

Looking back, I would have loved to see them put out an album in 1978 with the songs from their solo albums - but as a KISS album with only the 4 members playing the songs

And I thought they had a shot at coming back when Eric Carr came in - the show from 1980 from Australia is excellent, and I think they were on the right track until completely falling off the cliff with The Elder .....

• Like 1

I thought Eric Carr was great.....even parts of the Elder were listenable ....but I tried last year to check it out...."Oh Mr Blackwell..you can go to hell"... LOL

I'll never really dislike Kiss don't get me wrong...

How did you feel about the handling of RRHOF...?

• Like 1

I thought Eric Carr was great.....even parts of the Elder were listenable ....but I tried last year to check it out...."Oh Mr Blackwell..you can go to hell"... LOL

I'll never really dislike Kiss don't get me wrong...

How did you feel about the handling of RRHOF...?

I think the Hall Of Fame thing was a complete fiasco . .

When I first heard that KISS was inducted, I was actually disappointed - I know, that might sound strange, but going back to the 70s, the band - and the fans - were always the outcasts and brunt of ridicule ... Yes, they became huge and profitable, but there was always the sense that fans of "real music" and the music industry looked down on them as a joke - at best to be tolerated because of their unexplainable success ..

I have always disliked Rolling Stone magazine, and in particular, Jan Wenner and his little clique of pretentious phonies

The notion of a "hall of fame" for rock and roll music just seems contradictory to me anyway - rock and roll was never something to be honored or accepted by the corporate powers that be ....

And then the way KISS handled it was sort of embarrassing

I liked the fact that Paul hinted at his displeasure with the hypocrisy involved, but what I would have really loved to see would have been for him to get up there and say it - and refuse the induction

• Like 2

Actually, there might be some truth to the Cleveland comment - I think it was Gene Simmons who said that Cleveland and Detroit had the most best, most dedicated fans

" . . . the inspiration for 'Cleveland Rocks' goes back to the old days when people used to make fun of Cleveland. Cleveland was 'uncool' and LA and NYC were 'cool'. I didn't see it that way. Lotta heart in Cleveland .

I'm sure that in the early days, RUSH had some good experiences in places like Cleveland and Detroit - as did KISS - esp when the "cool" cities were shunning them

Truth... David Bowie kicked off his Ziggy Stardust tour in Cleveland OH... Said Cleveland & Detroit one of the few American cities that "get and understood his music.."
  • Like 1

Truth... David Bowie kicked off his Ziggy Stardust tour in Cleveland OH... Said Cleveland & Detroit one of the few American cities that "get and understood his music.."

And birthplace of The Dead Boys ... IMHO the best and most honest band to come out of the punk scene

And birthplace of The Dead Boys ... IMHO the best and most honest band to come out of the punk scene

Don't forget Pere Ubu really stood out from the crowd musically and unique live performer to say the least! :D